Comment: EOTopo Help and FAQ

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 07, 2015 at 18:46
ThreadID: 119109 Views:1667 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
HELP PLEASE: I have OziExplorer on my PC but no maps yet. I have a new 8GB Samsung Galaxy Tab3 with MICRO SD slot but no USB port. The Samsung is only for mapping use. I would like to buy EOTOPO for the PC and Samsung. I'll just be using OziExplorer - nothing else. I know I need OziExplorer Android ($40) and EOZi ($10) for the Samsung.
Q1/ Can I use the download option (I have unlimited, fast internet for the download) or must my purchase be SD/USB?
Q2/ Is micro-SD available, otherwise how can I get the files to the Samsung?
Q3/ Given that the Samsung is only 8GB, is the OZ4 pack that I'd need to put on it smaller than 8GB i.e. will it fit? (I'm happy to leave a micro SD in it if it's possible to get one). Thank-you in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Explorer - Sunday, Jun 07, 2015 at 19:02

Sunday, Jun 07, 2015 at 19:02
Hello

Firstly - OziExplorer for Android is only $25 (US) which currently = $32.7933 AUD - Bargain :). You dont "need" EOZi but feel free to purchase it if you wish - it is just an alternative "skin" (button/function layout) which may or may not be of any benefit to you - personal thing. Ozi works fine without it.

Anyway...

Q1: Yes - download EOTopo direct to Tablet or PC and copy to Tablet - whatever is easiest. No need to buy SD/USB.

Q2: As its states on this page HERE micro SD card is available as a purchase option. All the other buying options are also listed on this page. In my opinion the download one is probably best/easiest if you have good internet, but that's up to you.

Q3: The full Australian EOTopo 200K Mosaic in OZF format is ~3.4 GB so 8 GB storage is plenty...but that depends on what else you play with. Up to you to decide if you need a bigger card. If 3.4 GB fits and you are happy then all cool. If not go buy a bigger micro SD for storage (from Ebay or a local retailer - shop around) - easy. I have 64GB micro card in my samsung (plus 64 gb external usb!) - for movies, songs, photos more maps.etc.

Note: You can also use the ECW version of EOTopo which is only 2.8 GB. You can download both versions when you purchase to sort out what works best for you.

Cheers
Greg

I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 554674

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Monday, Jun 08, 2015 at 11:26

Monday, Jun 08, 2015 at 11:26
RE: storage on your Samsung - if you purchase the SD version, you'll get a class 10 16GB micro SD card so that problem is solved. Note however that the map pack comes with more files than you need as all the map scales are duplicated in each file format. You can therefore move files around and only carry what you need.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 554693

Reply By: get outmore - Monday, Jun 08, 2015 at 16:52

Monday, Jun 08, 2015 at 16:52
are you in perth? Ive set a few people up on ozi on thier tablets including a crap load of maps - only costs about 3 pints as we do it at my local - bonus is pints are less than $5

otherwise get the biggest micro SD you can ebay is the cheapest get a 32 gig min and run the maps on the SD card - through conficuration in the ozi menu you set your file and data path to the SD card

BTW unless its gone up ozi is $25 but nothing stopping you installing it now
using your device go to ozi for android and down load OZI for Android
then go to downloads in your files and just click on it and it will ask if you want to install it
IMPORTANT TO INSTALL YOU WILL NEED TO TICK THE ALLOW APPS FROM UNKNOWN SOURCES BOX IN YOUR SECURITY SETTINGS.

any problems alot of members have ozi with android and you should get answers quickly
AnswerID: 554707

Follow Up By: The Explorer - Monday, Jun 08, 2015 at 18:08

Monday, Jun 08, 2015 at 18:08
..as mentioned before price of Ozi Android is $25 US so cost in AUD $ is dependent on exchange rate. $25 US has in the past been $25 AUD but not at the moment. OP is international from what I can figure so you will have to buy your own beer :)

Cheers
Greg
I sent one final shout after him to stick to the track, to which he replied “All right,” That was the last ever seen of Gibson - E Giles 23 April 1874

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 840821

Follow Up By: TheSerenity - Monday, Jun 08, 2015 at 23:35

Monday, Jun 08, 2015 at 23:35
Thanks. I'm not in Perth, unfortunately. I'll give it all a go...
FollowupID: 840836

Sponsored Links