Marble Bar Nullagine current road conditions

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 11, 2015 at 07:23
ThreadID: 119146 Views:3491 Replies:1 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi.

I'm interested in hearing about current road conditions for the unsealed road from Newman through to Marble Bar via Nullagine from anyone who has recently travelled it please.
We have a full height 21 ft Jayco outback sterling caravan, and rooftop tinnie and will be travelling north from Newman.

Also how much of the road is sealed?

regards,

Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Joe Fury - Thursday, Jun 11, 2015 at 07:51

Thursday, Jun 11, 2015 at 07:51
G'day Heather MG

The Marble Bar road is sealed from Newman to within 13 Kilometres of the Roy Hill mine site access road, so it's a sealed stretch of about 135 Kilometres.

The unsealed sections are quite corrugated and there are several muddy patches that can not be avoided.

The bitumen seal starts again at the T junction of the Marble Bar and Roy Hill mine roads, this stretch of bitumen last until just beyond the first of two rail crossings from the as yet to be commissioned mining operations, about 55 Kilometres in total ~ the next bit of sealed surface is a short stretch past the Bonney Downs homestead, then the main street of Nullagine, sadly everything between the so called good bits of sealed road is fairly ordinary.

The unsealed sections are graded regularly but no work was been done since the rains last month.

If you drive to the prevailing weather and road conditions the Jayco outback should do a Stirling job.

I was up in Nullagine just last Sunday, there was plenty of heavy haulage traffic mixed in with all the mining/contractor traffic on the day.

Safe travels : Joe
AnswerID: 555803

Follow Up By: Flighty ( WA ) - Thursday, Jun 11, 2015 at 12:42

Thursday, Jun 11, 2015 at 12:42
Joe
And excellent reply in every aspect and accuracy.
Thanks for that, it's good to see local input to local conditions rather than the typical ramble from Bloggsy from Blogsville that was there 2 years ago.
Am looking to maybe travel the same route in a month or so, and considering the changes on that road from a couple of years ago, will try to contact you when closer to Newman
Cheers
Flighty

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 841926

Follow Up By: Joe Fury - Thursday, Jun 11, 2015 at 13:59

Thursday, Jun 11, 2015 at 13:59
G'day Flighty

Thanks mate, I trust you won't mind me making a correction to my reply to the original post, as I did not deduct a side trip distance off the T junction to the first rail crossing total of Kilometres.

I had a look in at Gina Rineharts airport that will service the Roy Hill mining operations, so this little side trip added a few extra klicks to the actual Marble Bar road distance.

Maps currently on sale do not show any of this mining activity associated road realignment, yet this new section is very significant as it dissects the Southern end of the Chichester Ranges and there is now a rail line through what was for centuries Red Gorge which was once the original Nullagine/Marble Bar Road alignment.

The T junction to the rail crossing is just a tad over 15 kilometres and all bitumen ~ although its a new road the sealed surface is already breaking up in several places due to the heavy haulage running between the accommodation village and various rail line work sites off the Marble Bar road.

The Fortescue River at Roy Hill Station was flowing hard and over the causeway on the bridge bypass section, the water was just below the bottom of the road bridge ~ the bridge is single lane and rough as guts.

I am more than happy to help with any other local or regional information.

Safe travels : Joe
FollowupID: 841930

Follow Up By: Member-Heather MG NSW - Thursday, Jun 11, 2015 at 21:44

Thursday, Jun 11, 2015 at 21:44
Thanks Joe.

We will be a few days getting to there but your information is just what I was looking for. Thanks for taking the time to reply..really appreciate it.

regards,
Heather
Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. John Muir

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 841951

Sponsored Links