hard top canopies for dual cab utes

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 11:29
ThreadID: 119198 Views:3893 Replies:6 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Any advice on what to buy or what to avoid?
Alex
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Chooky and Wobble - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 12:42

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 12:42
I have been happy with my ARB one. I was advised to get the lift up side windows as it makes getting things in and out easier up near the front and they were right. If you want to put a packrack on it also get the metal frame that fits inside to take the weight. I got the tradesman packrack and it has not given any problems.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 556031

Reply By: Member - Rosco from way back - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 17:23

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 17:23
Q1. Full bolt-on unit to cc, or to sit on ally tray?
Q2. How thick is your wallet?
When it comes to canopies, the old adage of you get what you pay comes to the fore.

Trade Bodies in Caboolture make a very good unit, albeit a pricey one.
AnswerID: 556041

Reply By: gbc - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 17:24

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 17:24
I've had a fair number of brands over the years and my current ARB one is the best I've had so far. My last flexiiglass was definitely a cut below.
AnswerID: 556042

Reply By: GarryR - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 17:28

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 17:28
I have an ARB fitted with internal reinforcing bars for the RTT. Left hand side window is lift up for ease of access, and the right hand window is a slider with grill for opening for the kelpie when she is in the back. I have had mine approx. 4yrs with no problems.
location - Warragul -Victoria
life is too short, so out and about enjoy

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 556043

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 18:32

Tuesday, Jun 16, 2015 at 18:32
Got the ARB myself, tilt on left, slide on right.
Did this for the dog, but for the very limited use, I should have just gone tilt both sides.

I have the internal support to the top of the tub, 2 plain roof bars, and since fitted with 1.6 x 1.2 mesh floor rack.

For sure, get the rear vent, which is actually a pressuriser.
It keeps positive pressure inside the canopy, and even though my tailgate gaps are quite large, I never get dust inside the back.

Mate got a canopy for his 'lux a coupe of months back, not sure of brand, but from Opp Lock . . . they don't have vents.
Simmo trip it was smashed in the back with red dust !!
Mine perfectly clean.

Trouble with his is canopy, the ribs go right to the front and back, so no room for the vent.
The ARB canopy has space clear to fit.
It goes at the back centre.

I am going to try and find him a couple of smaller pop up vents to fit either side at the back, he has had rear dust seal kit fitted, that might stop a lot.
AnswerID: 556046

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2015 at 10:15

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2015 at 10:15
Les,

Check out "Hurricane" vents on Whitworths site. Saw one fitted on front of canopy on a local vehicle, and it blends in well. Suppose to allow plenty of ventilation, ".........but when decks are awash, solid water and spray are kept out." (Quote from Whitworths catalogue)

Cost about $46.95.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 842182

Follow Up By: gbc - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2015 at 11:03

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2015 at 11:03
Flexiglass sell pop up vents aftermarket. I've installed them on all my canopies. They are o.k.
For a heavy duty option from the whitworths catalogue above, go the pop out aluminium scuppers.
FollowupID: 842185

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2015 at 11:04

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2015 at 11:04
Ta Bob, looks like a great vent for a canopy !
Provided enough room for the 215mm dia.
Whitworths Hurricane vent

Going to check his canopy Thurs morning for needs.

I did find these little vents to see if they might work too . . .
Scupper vent

This one might work ok if it can be mounted to spin around on a pvc plate . . . only 100mm dia
Dome vent

Worst case, I showed him the link to the ECONOMY VERSION, not sure if he would be impressed with that on the canopy though :D
FollowupID: 842186

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2015 at 11:12

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2015 at 11:12
Ta gbc, see it on their site Pop-up vent KIT420.
Will email them for sizes / cost, but most liekly will be as issue like the ARB vents, can't fit with these full deep ridge lines they have right to the back of the canopy.
FollowupID: 842188

Follow Up By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2015 at 11:22

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2015 at 11:22
Ha ha, Economy Version link took me to Bunnings main website, Les, but can imagine what you had planned for him.....one of those whirlybird thingys one sees on sheds?

Here's a pic from Whitworths paper catalogue, entry hole seems quite a bit smaller.

Anyway, good luck with your choice. Seems to be plenty of 'em out there.

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 842190

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Wednesday, Jun 17, 2015 at 12:06

Wednesday, Jun 17, 2015 at 12:06
Lol nothing quite as elaborate as a whirlbird vent, but the link I put up was to a "Holman 75mm 90° F-F PVC Stormwater Plain Elbow" :D
It WOULD work, but not terribly aesthetic for his near new 'lux, ha.

I reckon that Hurricane design would be an excellent option Bob, the hole in to canopy wouldn't be a big issue and it would keep out the rain / mist etc quite well, and with the new dust seal, he won't need a lot of pressure going in to keep the dust at bay.

The issue will be this canopy roof design, no flat areas for a vent.

Will certainly be looking at possibility of placing something on the LHS rear canopy side wall, if it doesn't look too 'blah' overall.

FollowupID: 842193

Reply By: Member - Wildmax - Thursday, Jun 18, 2015 at 19:24

Thursday, Jun 18, 2015 at 19:24
I had my canopy custom built by Metalform Industries (MFI Service Bodies) at Warragul back in 2009, and it has been faultless - never a problem with the seal or fit so that we have had no problems with dust or water despite around 100,000km of rough outback travel in the years since.
It was not cheap, but I was able to submit my own design for drawers, shelving, fridge slide etc and include both 12v and 240v power supply.
Steel, not aluminium, so it is not light (but already had heavy duty suspension upgrade).
Highly recommended (and I have no connection whatsoever with the company). I think they do quite a bit of work for emergency services, Telstra etc.
Cheers
Wildmax
2018 Hilux and Black Wolf 210 tent - for the outback tracks less travelled
Formerly an AOR Eclipse and a TVan

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 556118

Sponsored Links