Comment: Docker River - Campground

We are group of 3 vehicles coming through early July. Can we bypass the campground and camp in the bush before or after Docker River as we found last time we were there couple of years ago a fire had been through campground and no wood, no toilets.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Danny 1 - Sunday, Jun 21, 2015 at 17:17

Sunday, Jun 21, 2015 at 17:17
the campground is not such a nice place... there are plenty of campsites along the road.
we have been through there many times. we get fuel at docker but chose to camp out of town a bit.. the only spot that's you are not supposed to camp is lassiters cave..
enjoy Danny
AnswerID: 556199

Reply By: Mick O - Sunday, Jun 21, 2015 at 17:42

Sunday, Jun 21, 2015 at 17:42
Simza, the Docker camp area is in very poor condition and I for one would not stay there. There are plenty of places to camp along the way just make sure you are well clear of the settlements and if you can, get in off the road a bit. It's quieter and provides a bit of privacy from the traffic heading through.

Safe travels

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 556201

Reply By: 08crd - Sunday, Jun 21, 2015 at 20:34

Sunday, Jun 21, 2015 at 20:34
Agree with the last two posts.
AnswerID: 556210

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Monday, Jun 22, 2015 at 11:00

Monday, Jun 22, 2015 at 11:00
I believe GCR permits state no camping except authorised sites at the roadhouses and just a couple of off road sites. One we stopped at was just off the road to a community and the driving of locals with "E" plates was highly dangerous and one missed our van by the smallest margin.
We packed up and went elsewhere as it didn't feel at all secure.
Have a good trip but be aware of where you stop and I suggest no big camp fire to attract attention.
AlanH.
FollowupID: 842364

Reply By: Member Boroma 604 - Monday, Jun 22, 2015 at 11:57

Monday, Jun 22, 2015 at 11:57
Gooday,
Have stayed there at Docker River, yes it is messy but not had any trouble the twice I have stopped there last time in 2011.
Took several days to do the crossing, yes had permit and camped at other sites, just made sure we were well off the road, and do not make fires anyway.

Found a couple of old Gavel Pits among them which are ideal.
Have never been asked for permit but who knows who you may encounter and want to see it.
Cheers,
Boroma 604
AnswerID: 556225

Follow Up By: ChrisVal7 - Tuesday, Jun 23, 2015 at 17:38

Tuesday, Jun 23, 2015 at 17:38
We travelled on that road two years ago in a convoy of three vans. We stayed at some lovely spots just off the main track, usually behind some trees or a bit out of the passing traffic's dust. I think you are allowed to camp up to 200 metres from the road proper.

There are lots of spots where you can see others have camped.

And I agree, I would not consider camping in a community unless forced to.
FollowupID: 842409

Reply By: Member - Robert1660 - Wednesday, Jun 24, 2015 at 21:16

Wednesday, Jun 24, 2015 at 21:16
I can thoroughly recommend the Warakurna Roadhouse caravan park. The staff are very welcoming and it has an excellent camp kitchen. Attached to the roadhouse is an Indigenous art gallery where you can buy and view art work.
Robert
Landcruiser 200 VX Diesel + 19ft Bushtracker

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 556310

Follow Up By: Member - ACD 1 - Wednesday, Jun 24, 2015 at 22:53

Wednesday, Jun 24, 2015 at 22:53
Second that Robert.

We applied for frequent flyer points when we stayed there 2 years ago.

When we did the Gibb River Road, our travel buddies trailer dropped an axle on the abandoned section and we had to spend a couple of days organising parts. Forgot they were on NT time and arrived at 10pm WA time (midnight their time) asking for accomodation. OOPS! Fortunately they were very forgiving.

On the way back from Uluru, we had to spend another 3 days waiting for the part and going back out the road to fit a new axle before returning. Also did acouple of maintenance tasks on the LCruiser. The workshop owner was fantastic. He lent me the tools I didn't have, let me use the workshop and even sprungfor the second hand parts.

Cleanest camp kitchen, hottest showers and cheapest washing machines on our trip. It is now a designated overnight stop place for us even if we don't need too.

Simple, honest outback hospitality.

Cheers

Anthony
FollowupID: 842456

Reply By: Member - Ross Peterkin (NT) - Thursday, Jun 25, 2015 at 19:11

Thursday, Jun 25, 2015 at 19:11
Hi Simza, We are travelling the GCR from Uluru on July 8th. Two vehicles with camper trailers. We are intending to spend the night at Docker River Campsite. I was through there in late April and stopped for a short break to sus out the terrain. Looked OK then. We have our Porta Potti so wont bother with the toilets but there was water available for flushing then and the toilets did flush. Can't comment on the firepits but we will be in latish and out at "sparrows" so probably wont bother. No wood supplied that I could see. Generally looked as good as any "non designated" campsite you'd find along the way. Being locals we're not concerned about the security. Might see you along the road. Cheers, Ross
AnswerID: 556336

Sponsored Links