Road Report Meekatharra to Sandstone (WA)

Submitted: Tuesday, Jun 23, 2015 at 17:25
ThreadID: 119276 Views:3041 Replies:5 FollowUps:13
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone got direct knowledge of the Meekatharra to Sandstone Road? It is a relatively major dirt road and would normally be in good condition. But after rains etc that may have changed. Road reports show no problems.

We are towing an offroad caravan.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Idler Chris - Tuesday, Jun 23, 2015 at 18:09

Tuesday, Jun 23, 2015 at 18:09
Sandstone is worth going to regardless of road conditions. If not good just go slower.
What other people think of me is none of my business.
Do unto others what you would have them do unto you.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 556269

Follow Up By: oz doc - Tuesday, Jun 23, 2015 at 21:34

Tuesday, Jun 23, 2015 at 21:34
Hi Chris, when were you thinking of going? I've just got back from Sandstone last week, but my folks are still there. I could ask them about the road and if they have had much rain, but they have gone to bed and switched the phone off already. doc.
FollowupID: 842426

Reply By: Kevin S - Life Member (QLD) - Tuesday, Jun 23, 2015 at 19:01

Tuesday, Jun 23, 2015 at 19:01
I think you will find that it is sealed ChrisVal7. A look on Google Earth seems to confirm that it is.

Cheers, Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 556272

Follow Up By: ChrisVal7 - Tuesday, Jun 23, 2015 at 20:53

Tuesday, Jun 23, 2015 at 20:53
Kevin, my map is showing it as a dirt road (Hema, 2012). This is the direct road, heading south east from Meekatharra. There is an alternative sealed route from Mmekatharra to Mt Magnet and then across to Sa dstone, but it is a lot further.
FollowupID: 842422

Follow Up By: Kevin S - Life Member (QLD) - Wednesday, Jun 24, 2015 at 09:35

Wednesday, Jun 24, 2015 at 09:35
Oh yeah! Sorry. I confused Mount Magnet with Meekatharra. As far as I know the Meekatharra to Sandstone Road is unsealed. As to condition I guess it is like other outback roads and is subject to rain, use and maintenance. The option of travelling through Mount Magnet will give you sealed road all the way though, if the other road is too bad.I understand the scenery on both roads to be worth the drive.
Cheers, Kevin
Kevin
It is important to always maintain a sense of proportion

2019 Mitsubishi Cross

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 842440

Reply By: oz doc - Tuesday, Jun 23, 2015 at 21:36

Tuesday, Jun 23, 2015 at 21:36
Oops, sorry, I posted my response in the wrong spot. See question under Idler Chris's one. ta. doc.
AnswerID: 556277

Follow Up By: ChrisVal7 - Tuesday, Jun 23, 2015 at 22:24

Tuesday, Jun 23, 2015 at 22:24
We plan to be there in a few days....so plenty of time for a response if you can get it from the family. Ni appreciate the help.
FollowupID: 842428

Follow Up By: oz doc - Wednesday, Jun 24, 2015 at 09:25

Wednesday, Jun 24, 2015 at 09:25
Hi Val, just spoke to the folks, they said they've had some rain in the last week and whilst they haven't travelled the road themselves, others have commented its a bit rough/cut up in places but should be ok with an off road van. The tracks around Sandstone have become quite soft already with just the little rain that has fallen, so I guess usual cautions when heading out to spec. cheers, doc.
FollowupID: 842439

Reply By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Jun 23, 2015 at 22:13

Tuesday, Jun 23, 2015 at 22:13
Hi Chris and Val. If you phone the Shire at Sandstone they are sure to be able to give you up to date conditions. People in Sandstone travel regularly to Meekatharra for shops and services.

Sandstone is a delightful tiny town. If you missed it last year, allow a few days. We booked in for one day and stated three.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 556278

Follow Up By: ChrisVal7 - Tuesday, Jun 23, 2015 at 22:26

Tuesday, Jun 23, 2015 at 22:26
Yes MH, it is your previous positive comments about Sandstone ( and those of others too) which have inspired us to go there. Val has his miners license or whatever it is he needs to go gold detecting with his unit. Of course he won't get anything but he enjoys the trying.
FollowupID: 842429

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Tuesday, Jun 23, 2015 at 22:32

Tuesday, Jun 23, 2015 at 22:32
Best of luck Val. At the former station Lake Mason, where they have a campground, fossicking is allowed on the station area. Maybe it is well picked over by now, but there had been a good finds in past years.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 842430

Reply By: Member - Ian G (NSW) - Tuesday, Jun 23, 2015 at 23:55

Tuesday, Jun 23, 2015 at 23:55
G'day ChrisVal7,

I drove, in a 200 series towing my Phoenix off road van, from Sandstone to Meekatharra on this road about 3 weeks ago.

The road is unsealed but a good condition gravel road with few corrugations. There are a number of grids but all well signposted and smooth to cross.

There are kangaroos and cattle on the (unfenced) road as you are travelling through station properties.

We are camping/prospecting at Quinn's Mine, about 60 km from Meeka and about 12 km in off the Meeka/Sandstone Rd.

I have had to make one trip, with the c'van, into Meeka to get water, about a week ago and that section of the road is in very good condition

We had some very heavy rain in at Quinn's 2 days ago but has all dried out well so I assume the Meeka /Sandstone Rd would be ok as well.

One of our group is heading in to Meeka tomorrow for water & supplies, so I can get a report from him, on this section of the road at least, and let you know about that section tomorrow if you want.

Regards,

Ian
AnswerID: 556281

Follow Up By: ChrisVal7 - Wednesday, Jun 24, 2015 at 09:12

Wednesday, Jun 24, 2015 at 09:12
Ian, this is really great information. And it is good to hear from a fellow offroader! We have a Kedron van....

I would be most grateful for your further information from your friend.

What is Quinn's Mine like? Is it a private concern or can anyone camp there?
FollowupID: 842438

Follow Up By: Member - Ian G (NSW) - Wednesday, Jun 24, 2015 at 16:51

Wednesday, Jun 24, 2015 at 16:51
G'day ChrisVal7,

My colleague has just returned from Meeka and whilst the road from Meeka to the Sandstone Shire boundary is open, the road from Sandstone to the Meeka Shire boundary is currently closed.

I would assume this will not stay closed for long as the road to Meeka is in excellent condition and conditions here at Quinn's are drying out quickly.

Quinn's is currently under active mining lease, so permission has to be obtained from the corporate leaseholder. My understanding is that they are currently refusing permission due to the numbers of unauthorized prospectors out here.

There are no facilities out here other than patchy telephone & Internet service from on top of select hills. I currently receive full service in the c' van via the next G antennae permanently attached to the Wineguard TV antennae.

Regards,

Ian
FollowupID: 842445

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Jun 24, 2015 at 23:28

Wednesday, Jun 24, 2015 at 23:28
Sandstone Shire Road conditions report dated today shows it as "OPEN to LIGHT VEHICLES with CAUTION" Ian. I hope that when Chris phones, Council advice matches what they are doing in the field.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 842457

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Jun 24, 2015 at 23:32

Wednesday, Jun 24, 2015 at 23:32
Meekatharra Council Road conditions show their section of the road as Closed until further notice.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 842458

Follow Up By: ChrisVal7 - Thursday, Jun 25, 2015 at 12:39

Thursday, Jun 25, 2015 at 12:39
Thanks Ian and Motherhen. This is unfortunate news re the road. We will check it again in a couple of days. Now camped in a beautiful spot on the Gascoyne River's Middle Branch. The birdlife is amazing.

It has internet and phone reception (full bars with the van's external aerial deployed). We may stay a few days, as there is water in the river.

I am very grateful for everyone's advice re the road.
FollowupID: 842469

Follow Up By: Member - Ian G (NSW) - Friday, Jul 03, 2015 at 23:16

Friday, Jul 03, 2015 at 23:16
G'day ChrisVal7,

This may be too late for you now but I drove the Meeka to Sandstone road today, or at least from Quinn's to Sandstone, and the road is in good condition.

As at 1/7/2015, it was open to light vehicles with caution, but closed to trucks. We checked and c'vans were ok.

There were no indications at the Sandstone end that it was not open to all traffic.

I am now off dirt roads for 3500km until I get to my daughters farm in Temora, NSW!

Regards,

Ian
FollowupID: 842879

Sponsored Links