Glass fuse replacement

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 25, 2015 at 10:02
ThreadID: 119288 Views:1921 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
The glass fuse in the 12v power cord the bit that goes in the cig lighter blew for the sat king set top box It says F3AL on the fuse. Where do I get one or will any 3amp glass tfuse do like the auto ones. Has anyone replaced one and if so what did they use and if it was anf3AL where did they get it from .
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, Jun 25, 2015 at 10:39

Thursday, Jun 25, 2015 at 10:39
G'day

Google is your friend

F3AL: The F means it is a fast acting fuse. 3A means it is 3 amp rating. L means it is low breaking strength (usually glass). See this link.

This one is available on line and would be ok providing it's the right physical size (5mm diameter, 20mm long). You have to buy 10, though.

You need a fast acting 3 amp glass or ceramic (doesn't matter) fuse of the right size. If you don't want to buy 10 on line, take your blown sample to an auto sparky or electronics shop and see how you go.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 556320

Follow Up By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Thursday, Jun 25, 2015 at 17:19

Thursday, Jun 25, 2015 at 17:19
Unless you find out the reason for the fuse blowing and remedy it then you might as well buy 10 fuses. You could well need them.

I am always amused when someone simply replaces a blown fuse without knowing the reason for its failure.
Cheers
Allan

My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 842484

Reply By: vk1dx - Thursday, Jun 25, 2015 at 11:22

Thursday, Jun 25, 2015 at 11:22
To answer your question Yes but with a stipulation same physical size and NOT a slow blow fuse. Slow blow fuses are the ones that look like they have a spring in them.

Bugger Google. Just ask. We, well people lik me anyway, are only too happy to help and in a way that you will understand. That's what being human, sociable and caring is all about. Google is ignorant in all those aspects.

Try Jaycar as well. Where are you and we shall see if we can find a shop near you?

Phil
AnswerID: 556321

Follow Up By: ozwildlifecarer - Thursday, Jun 25, 2015 at 12:02

Thursday, Jun 25, 2015 at 12:02
Thanks phil. Yes looked at Google and really no help. The sat king top box booklet says 2 amp input and output but the fuse looks like it's a 3 amp. The narva 3 amp glass fuse is fractionally longer. Same width. We are in port Hedland. We have only just bought this set up so don't want to bugger it up. We are having enuff probs just trying to get a signal at all out here. A lot of money for nothing really. We bought the whizz bang marriage saver digital finder but still can't lock into that damned satellite Now this little fuse has blown anyway. Aaaaahhh!!!
FollowupID: 842467

Follow Up By: vk1dx - Thursday, Jun 25, 2015 at 12:30

Thursday, Jun 25, 2015 at 12:30
Go and see TLC at 435 Hardie St Port Hedland WA. They would be able to help you. Or any other auto electrician. While you are at get get a few spares.

If the booklert says 2 amp than get a 2 amp fuse. Never go over what the specs say.

Or any autoelec. Google didn't tell me if you have Jaycar (It isn't so helpful after all).

Phil
FollowupID: 842468

Reply By: vk1dx - Thursday, Jun 25, 2015 at 12:43

Thursday, Jun 25, 2015 at 12:43
I would like to address the sat phone lack of access in a different post.

Sounds like something is amiss. Being so far north you should have ten out of ten for signal. And with the fuse blowing methinks there is a separate issue. Is it in warranty and can you take it back and say "It broke!" and see what they say?

Phil

AnswerID: 556324

Follow Up By: Member - Munji - Monday, Jun 29, 2015 at 09:11

Monday, Jun 29, 2015 at 09:11
There is a contractor, Norsat in the Wedgefield area. They should be able to help.
FollowupID: 842662

Reply By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Monday, Jun 29, 2015 at 11:04

Monday, Jun 29, 2015 at 11:04
My suggestion would to be look at or replace the charger adaptor. Had a few fuse problems in the past, so unless the the actual device is kaput, I've usually found cheap adaptors to be the problem - loose or broken wiring or faulty contacts. Even if it's not, it's a good place to start the process of elmination....
AnswerID: 556484

Sponsored Links