Reversing camera system

Submitted: Thursday, Jun 25, 2015 at 12:56
ThreadID: 119294 Views:1899 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all, I am looking for some advice on wireless reversing cameras, I want to fit a camera to the rear of my caravan. I need a simple system with monitor plugs in to cigarette lighter socket, & camera connected to the reverse light of van. Any information or recommendations from reversing camera users will be very much appreciated.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Friday, Jun 26, 2015 at 00:21

Friday, Jun 26, 2015 at 00:21
Wireless did not work well on ours - too much metal to get through, The one on the tow vehicle was good so it was not the product, but no good as far as the rear of the caravan. We hardwired it and it worked well. Interference is another story we never go to test, but oft reported by others.

While I don't find the search on this forum effective, try a search for wireless camera. The question is asked several times a year.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 556351

Reply By: steamfire01 - Friday, Jun 26, 2015 at 00:28

Friday, Jun 26, 2015 at 00:28
Cruiser;
You will find lots of info on wireless cameras in the archives.
My take on the matter ( for what it's worth ) is that wireless cameras are unreliable and often are subject to interference.
My further advice is to look up Safety Dave in Melbourne and have a look at his products. I've had one of his two camera setups for 10 years and it's going fine. I'm not particularly handy but I fitted cameras to my Coromal and my Patrol with a minimum of fuss. By the way, I have no connection with Safety Dave, I'm just a very satisfied customer.
Your choice.
Keep safe out there
Regards
TJ
AnswerID: 556352

Reply By: Keir & Marg - Friday, Jun 26, 2015 at 12:36

Friday, Jun 26, 2015 at 12:36
Well, despite the advice on this forum, I chose a wireless camera from RoadTech Marine/Jaycar; it was about $190 from memory. 4.5" monitor in car that plugs into cigarette lighter and can take the input from 2 cameras, although we only have 1 at present fitted to the rear of the Jayco Penguin. In due course I will get another for the back of the Pajero to look down on the tow hitch. It's a digital 2.4GHz camera (not analogue) so doesn't suffer from interference. (The cheap systems are analogue).
Problems?? To begin with, yes. I had it wired initially to the sidelight circuit of the van so it would come on when I turned the car lights on. Unfortunately, the sidelights in the van include all the clearance lights, so with 9 lights running on the crap Jayco wiring, the camera was only getting 10.5 volts and the signal kept dropping out. I re-wired the camera to the fridge motion sensor so it turns on whenever the van is rocking (no comments please!) and it now gets a solid 13 volts when the car is running. Much better signal but it drops out on smooth roads as the fridge sensor thinks the van isn't moving. I will therefore re-wire the camera directly to the sidelight pin on the 7-pin connector at the front of the van so I can again have it under my control. The antenna for the camera is the first 6" of 12v DC wiring sticking out of the camera, and this is shielded by the van body, and I am still getting minor drop out of the signal, but not if the camper trailer lid is up by a few inches or a large truck is close behind us, or there are reflective surfaces at the side of the road!! We therefore need a direct line of sight to the car for the antenna. Hence, I have now temporarily placed the camera on top of a pole so it is above the roof of the van, and I think this will provide a direct line of sight for the 2.4GHz signal and we should have no drop-outs. Not yet tested as the tug is being serviced. If this works, I'll mount the camera permanently on a pole above the closed roofline of the van.
AnswerID: 556380

Reply By: cruiser1980 - Friday, Jun 26, 2015 at 15:46

Friday, Jun 26, 2015 at 15:46
Thanks to all of you for your precious suggestions.

cruiser
AnswerID: 556384

Sponsored Links