How Low Do Some People Go.......

Submitted: Friday, Jun 26, 2015 at 07:15
ThreadID: 119300 Views:3790 Replies:11 FollowUps:17
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Everyone,

We are just back from a great trip to the Gulf with lots of great information to report on in the following weeks.

One point that I would like to bring up is our experience while camped out at the Dig Tree. Being like any honest ExplorOz person, we put our camping/entry fee into the honesty box, as we arrived later than we should.

Early next morning while sitting around the campfire, we were visited by "Duck" the manager and had a great chat, as we do early in the morning. One point that got my blood boiling was the fact that Duck has to do early visits to empty out the honesty box, as some low life campers cut open the honesty box and steal the money. It is now so bad that a new more secure box is being made up to make it harder for the low life scum to break into, and he said that the money will be stolen at least a couple more times during this tourist season.

With acts like this, it is no wonder that places get closed to honest visitors to remote areas. If you hear some low life bragging about stealing easy money, do the right thing and please report it to the Police.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 4 Moderator

Reply By: Sand Man (SA) - Friday, Jun 26, 2015 at 07:30

Friday, Jun 26, 2015 at 07:30
Hi Stephen,

I support your comments wholeheartedly!

What surprises me a bit is that the "low life's" travel so far and to such remote places and still see the need to supplement their income from whatever means they can.

In approx. 8 weeks, we are heading up to the Channel Country via Birdsville, Boulia and Winton to Longreach, then back down through Windorah and the Planet Arrabury Road to Innamincka and finally the Gammon Ranges, over a 4 week period.

We can only hope that we only meet amiable and honest people along our journey who go to remote areas to soak up the Aussie Countryside and respect the provided facilities they use.

Bill

I'm diagonally parked in a parallel Universe!

AnswerID: 556356

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Jun 26, 2015 at 07:49

Friday, Jun 26, 2015 at 07:49
Hi Bill

We have done a very similar trip, but included Adels Grove, Burketown, Normanton, then back down through central Queensland. Keep an eye out, as I have some very interesting information on a new find of great historical importance along the Birdsville Track, and at this very early stage, no one knows about the blaze tree, as it is too far south for Burke and Wills, and too far west for McKinnley.

Now back to the low life scum. Duck was saying that they would be getting less than $30 but it's the damage that they do and the means of breaking in is mind boggling.

In the past, they have used cold chisels, hacksaws, but now are even using power tools, which shows that they come prepared and intend to rip off the system.

Through this great site, we must all work together and report anything that can effect us all in the long run.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 842511

Follow Up By: OutBack Wanderers - Saturday, Jun 27, 2015 at 12:05

Saturday, Jun 27, 2015 at 12:05
Maybe the Duck should put a brownie inside the box, should be really cheesed off by the time the power saw cuts through

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 842569

Reply By: MUZBRY- Life member(Vic) - Friday, Jun 26, 2015 at 08:05

Friday, Jun 26, 2015 at 08:05
Gday Stephen
I did a trip a few years ago with a fella and his wife , they would not put money in the lockup if there was no one there to collect . Good christian people , well thats what they call themselves.
Muzbry
Great place to be Mt Blue Rag 27/12/2012

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 556358

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Jun 26, 2015 at 08:19

Friday, Jun 26, 2015 at 08:19
Hi Muzbry

Yes it takes all sort of people and to not pay your fees......that's why they put in the honesty boxes.......for the honest people.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 842512

Reply By: Member - batsy - Friday, Jun 26, 2015 at 08:09

Friday, Jun 26, 2015 at 08:09
Stephen we spoke to "Duck" last year & this subject came up. Had the distinct impression that he had a very good idea which group/groups were the culprits .
Still a low life act which occurs far more frequently than we would like to think.
Cheers
Batsy
Every day vertical above ground is a bonus.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 556359

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Jun 26, 2015 at 08:24

Friday, Jun 26, 2015 at 08:24
Hi Batsy

Chatting with "Duck" was very interesting and what a great job he has. Like he said, at 78 and with a job like he has, why would he want to retire.

I think it is a very sad part of life that in remote areas, where one would think that you are safe from those bad outside elements that these events still happen.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 842513

Reply By: Mick O - Friday, Jun 26, 2015 at 08:36

Friday, Jun 26, 2015 at 08:36
Stephen,

sad indictment on the times unfortunately. Perhaps they should take a leaf out of the SA National Parks honesty boxes such as those in the Flinders Ranges camp areas. Plate steel with the locks sheathed to prevent damage or cutting. Locks are damage proof laminated variety that can take a high powered rifle shot through their guts and still remain intact. You would have to pull the thing out of the ground (with structure attached and then spend hours cutting it open with a grinder!).

We have a trend in the larger towns these days to take any advantage of easy money. The collection tins at post offices and stores. One scumbag was seen wandering off with the large seeing eye dog collection thing from our local supermarket. You know the ones, full scale model of a Labrador in harness that they sit indside the doors of the supermarket or shopping center. Thankfully he was apprehended by some beefy construction types who pointed out the errors of his ways to him and handed what was left over to the police.

Regards to you and Fiona,

Mick

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 556360

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Jun 26, 2015 at 09:20

Friday, Jun 26, 2015 at 09:20
Hi Mick

The honesty box is the original one made by the late "Bomber" and has served very well for all the honest people out there like us.

As this is an on going issue for "Duck", he said that a new very strong honesty box is being made up, made from the same steel that gun safes are made of and by the sounds of things, will be like the ones at the Flinders.

The Ultimate was fantastic and Fiona wishes we had it years ago.

Regards to you and Vick

Back to a cold Clare after weeks of 30 plus degrees.....lol

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 842518

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Friday, Jun 26, 2015 at 10:26

Friday, Jun 26, 2015 at 10:26
Sadly Mick on our trip to the Flinders last year even those "bulletproof" honesty boxes were being broken into.

One at Aroona had the back jammied open in a fashion - although they hadn't got the plate off completely, you could still work through the gap to get the envolopes out.

We weren't comfortable putting our dosh in there, so we kept our envelopes (and some of the ones that were gettable from the box) and handed them in at the rangers station. Don't mind making a contribution to the parks for maintenance, however not contributing to some low-life.
FollowupID: 842520

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Friday, Jun 26, 2015 at 09:21

Friday, Jun 26, 2015 at 09:21
Bound to be the same type of terrorist [ some call them tourists or grey nomads ] that travel the country with their 12v drill fitted with a dowel to make stealing the toilet rolls easier……..
AnswerID: 556364

Follow Up By: Member - John - Friday, Jun 26, 2015 at 12:44

Friday, Jun 26, 2015 at 12:44
Alloy, just about to retire and tour, I need more info on the drill and dowel......................... LOL
John and Jan

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 842522

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Jun 26, 2015 at 21:25

Friday, Jun 26, 2015 at 21:25
Hi Alloy c/t

I do not think that it would be grey nomads, rather a group of low life scum on a boys drinking trip.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 842545

Reply By: ExplorOz Team - Michelle - Friday, Jun 26, 2015 at 10:54

Friday, Jun 26, 2015 at 10:54
If this is a regular theft, then someone needs to setup a surveillance camera and catch them red-handed! Not hard to do these days.
Michelle Martin
Marketing & Customer Support
I.T. Beyond Pty Ltd / ExplorOz

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 556373

Follow Up By: Les - PK Ranger - Friday, Jun 26, 2015 at 19:51

Friday, Jun 26, 2015 at 19:51
Yep, look at the Namadji thread :)
FollowupID: 842539

Follow Up By: Steve in Kakadu - Friday, Jun 26, 2015 at 20:33

Friday, Jun 26, 2015 at 20:33
Kakadu now have a motion camera at the camp grounds that have an iron ranger ( locked money collection post) due to people breaking into them, they also have the same camera's at locked gates that catch pig hunters and those that think locked gates are for other people.

They now catch a few, good luck if you try to buck the system I recon.
FollowupID: 842543

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Jun 26, 2015 at 21:28

Friday, Jun 26, 2015 at 21:28
Hi Michelle

Poor old Duck is 78 and I think that anything high tech would go straight over his head.

Then on the other hand, ask him anything about the bush and his past experiences, and he is a walking encyclopaedia.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 842546

Reply By: The Landy - Friday, Jun 26, 2015 at 12:57

Friday, Jun 26, 2015 at 12:57
I’m guessing, but perhaps this is why the National Parks are going pre-book online with credit card these days…

Seemingly it doesn’t matter where you are someone is always at the ready to take advantage of someone else’s generosity!

You can’t help but think the amount they would get would be worth the effort required – crikey if someone is that desperate I’ll take up a collection plate for them!

Cheers, Baz – The Landy
AnswerID: 556382

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Jun 26, 2015 at 21:32

Friday, Jun 26, 2015 at 21:32
Hi Baz

Yes it is a real pity to think that anyone who goes bush to experience the solitude and general feeling of being out there by yourselves go with other sinister intentions.

Poor old Bomber past away 3 years ago, and was great mates with Duck, and that is how come he now has his position.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 842547

Reply By: Member - Terry W4 - Friday, Jun 26, 2015 at 18:39

Friday, Jun 26, 2015 at 18:39
Understand what you say.

Was in Kakadu last month with my brother camping at a (I think Sandy Creek) where the NP Service has a system (like many do) of you filling out a form and putting your money in an envelope and leave in a locked box. Same as Flinders Ranges.

When we were parked there a young Japanese man came to me and said do you need to pay and I advised yes. His response was his (Australian) girlfriend said there was no need because the rangers will not be around. I said that was not the point you are paying for the hot showers, the toilets and the upkeep of the park.

From memory it was $20 for 2 of us for the night.

He went back and told his girlfriend that they should pay. SHE DIDN'T.
AnswerID: 556386

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Jun 26, 2015 at 21:34

Friday, Jun 26, 2015 at 21:34
Hi Terry

That sounds typical of many people that think that because no one is there, you have free access.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 842548

Reply By: Member - Leigh (Vic) - Friday, Jun 26, 2015 at 20:53

Friday, Jun 26, 2015 at 20:53
Good to see you and Fiona are back in one piece! Look forward to reading your blog and seeing some interesting photos soon. Cheers
AnswerID: 556392

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Jun 26, 2015 at 21:36

Friday, Jun 26, 2015 at 21:36
Hi Leigh

We had a real ball and the weather was just perfect, the further north we traveled.

The only down side was the kayak, but Elders Insurance are now doing their great job.

The Blog will be a little way off, but again will have lots of images.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 842549

Reply By: TTD1 - Saturday, Jun 27, 2015 at 07:26

Saturday, Jun 27, 2015 at 07:26
Stephen
The advent of the battery powered hand tools had been a boom for the light fingered ,
Especially the small angle grinder type with the thin wheel fitted,it will quickly make short work of locks and mild steel plate.
Regards
TD
AnswerID: 556402

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Saturday, Jun 27, 2015 at 08:32

Saturday, Jun 27, 2015 at 08:32
Hi TD

You are spot on about power tools in the wrong hands. Why can't they just go out and enjoy the solitude of the bush without causing so much grief to the people that have to repair the damage caused by their act of stupidity.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 842554

Follow Up By: OutBack Wanderers - Saturday, Jun 27, 2015 at 12:17

Saturday, Jun 27, 2015 at 12:17
I remember when Dad was the Mr Fix-It for the Lightning Ridge Bowling Club, every Saturday night, there were double doors to the toilets, some young punk loved to test out his knuckles with the inside door.

This Saturday night, Dad sat with the Directors and said, watch and learn, sure enough, 6 bravado's walked in, about 5 minutes later came this howling of pain and broken knuckles, the club called the ambulance and as they treated the victim, asked Dad, what happened?

Eazy, I just glued two sheets of SS to the door and replaced the ply on both sides, no more punched holes in the door, Dad got a raise

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 842570

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Jun 28, 2015 at 07:20

Sunday, Jun 28, 2015 at 07:20
Hi Outback Wanderers

Full marks for your dad, that is a classic. It would have been great to see the look on their faces.....lol

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 842606

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Sunday, Jun 28, 2015 at 08:11

Sunday, Jun 28, 2015 at 08:11
I have another tale of selfishness

A few weeks ago we were in Gregory NP campground and this other group did the right thing and paid their campfees. $9.90 for 3 persons. They looked in their pockets and couldn't find the change so was about to put $10 note in envelope until one of them stopped the proceedings and pulled his vehicle apart to find the right change. He eventually did after quite a search so saved 10c with the smug attitude of having done the right thing and paid the camping fee.

If I had $9.90 in my pocket I would have put that in the envelope but I would not hesitate to use a note and pay 10c more just for convenience. I hope scrooge enjoyed his camp.

Alan
AnswerID: 556432

Sponsored Links