Supreme off road getaway caravan

Submitted: Saturday, Jun 27, 2015 at 15:11
ThreadID: 119312 Views:1825 Replies:5 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Question is...At the bottom of the rear wall there is a strengthening beam across on the inside but the bottom of the rear wall seems to be loose only on the right side. Lots of silastic both sides.

There are also lots of small holes drilled across the bottom of that rear van wall.

Has anyone had any experience with this?

Is it something that can be repaired easily?

Or should we just walk away?

We have never owned a van before and are looking for practical advice.

Thank you in advance.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Athol W1 - Saturday, Jun 27, 2015 at 16:21

Saturday, Jun 27, 2015 at 16:21
JATich
A little more information would help, but I guess that you are looking at purchasing a second hand van.

If so, and something does not look right, then it most probably is not right, and what you are describing sounds very sus to say the least. If there is a lot of silicone around anything that would suggest that there is, or has been, a water leak there. Any strengthening beam that is not absolutely secure is also something that should raise concerns.

I would suggest that it would be prudent to just walk away, and find something that you are more at ease with.

Regards
Athol
AnswerID: 556412

Follow Up By: Athol W1 - Saturday, Jun 27, 2015 at 16:23

Saturday, Jun 27, 2015 at 16:23
Also ANY loose wall would be a major cause for concern.
Regards
Athol
FollowupID: 842590

Reply By: Member - Bigred13 - Saturday, Jun 27, 2015 at 20:03

Saturday, Jun 27, 2015 at 20:03
Hi JATich ,
One of the first things you should do when looking at a second hand van is if there is any silicone been put anywhere ,engage gear and put pedal to the metal and go look elsewhere .I have an 16 year old van and it still has only the jointing/sealing material put there during manufacturer . If there is silicone any where there is, or has been a problem , either damage done or the structural frame is moving and letting the original sealer leak .The first thing I look for in an old van is check all corners of the inside ,in cupboards etc ,if any sign of water damage or new lining been put in ,as above, engage gear etc .
There are a lot of vans out there ,so look carefully ,especially if it is off roader ,as they will have had a hard life and may not have been built right in the first place .
Be safe .
AnswerID: 556418

Reply By: 671 - Saturday, Jun 27, 2015 at 21:39

Saturday, Jun 27, 2015 at 21:39
"We have never owned a van before and are looking for practical advice".
----------------------------------------------------------------
JA

This should give you as few things to look for.

http://caravanersforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12286
AnswerID: 556423

Reply By: Motherhen - Saturday, Jun 27, 2015 at 23:19

Saturday, Jun 27, 2015 at 23:19
Hi JATich

I concur with those who say walk away. To get you set up, you can't beat the collective practical advice from Caravan Buyers Guide. Spending thirty dollars now could save you many thousands.

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 556427

Reply By: Member - JATich - Sunday, Jun 28, 2015 at 11:52

Sunday, Jun 28, 2015 at 11:52
thank you everyone for your help. I have registered with the caravaners forum and will purchase the buyers guide.

Happy travels.
AnswerID: 556441

Sponsored Links