East of Kookynie to Connie Sue Hway

Submitted: Sunday, Jun 28, 2015 at 17:42
ThreadID: 119324 Views:1667 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all. I found some threads about this area but nothing done recently. We are planning a trip out to the Connie Sue in July and thought we would head out east of Kookynie, just for a different view of the desert areas. Have any of you been that way or come back that way recently, ie last couple of years? We thought the Trans Aus railway would be a bit boring and we have done the GCR and didn't want to miss the Connie Sue altogether. Our plan is then to do the Sandy blight Junction road as well and end up in Alice.
Any directions or help would be appreciated.
Thanks in Advance. Nick and Glenda
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Sunday, Jun 28, 2015 at 20:14

Sunday, Jun 28, 2015 at 20:14
There are station tracks east from Kookynie that take you to Yundaminda and then north up past Red Knob to the old Laverton Road and through Mt Morgans into Laverton, but really, you're not going to see vastly different country as you will up the tar seal to Leonora and Laverton, from which you're about to spend the next 1000-1500 km on dirt, which for most people is sort of enough!
AnswerID: 556464

Follow Up By: Coenen N & G (WA) - Sunday, Jun 28, 2015 at 20:35

Sunday, Jun 28, 2015 at 20:35
Thanks for that, Paul, but we want to go East from Kookynie to the Connie Sue, not North to Laverton. There are a few options thru that way but just need to know if anyone had done it lately or not. Like out to Plumridge Lakes and via what roads.
FollowupID: 842640

Follow Up By: Member - Paul B (WA) - Sunday, Jun 28, 2015 at 23:57

Sunday, Jun 28, 2015 at 23:57
About 8 or 9 years ago we went to Plumridge Lakes via the track to it that runs pretty much due east from Lake Minigwal but it was very slow going as it was heavily grown over, and often very hard to find. And that was years ago - I doubt you'd find it now.

Most traffic there these days goes from Kalgoorlie out along the Kurnalpi to Pinjin Road and then east from Pinjin along the Nippon Hwy and then north on what is now the access road to the Tropicana mine out near Plumridge Lakes. What the track is like past Plumridge these days is anyone's guess, but I can't imagine it's had much traffic since we were last on it. Certainly the massive downturn in mineral exploration won't have helped. Or it goes from Laverton.

The big issue with heading east from Kookynie is that you have to get across the lakes. Lakes Raeside, Carey & Rebecca form a very large north south barrier. Then you've go Lake Minigwal to get around once you've got past them and with all the rain there's been out here so I would have thought you'd need to go from either Kalgoorlie or Laverton.
FollowupID: 842652

Reply By: Member - John Baas (WA) - Sunday, Jun 28, 2015 at 21:00

Sunday, Jun 28, 2015 at 21:00
Have a look at the EO Treknotes - Lake Rason Road and West GVD - should be some ideas there...

Cheers.
AnswerID: 556468

Reply By: KJW964 - Sunday, Jun 28, 2015 at 21:55

Sunday, Jun 28, 2015 at 21:55
You will have to go south through Mt Celia to get through the lakes system or up through Laverton
AnswerID: 556471

Sponsored Links