Fined for selling non approved JANA gas heater

Submitted: Monday, Jun 29, 2015 at 23:06
ThreadID: 119347 Views:3474 Replies:1 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
The question is often asked as to what can happen to those who sell non approved products [gas or electrical]
Here is one instance of many
Trader fined after prohibited heater causes fire
17 June 2015
A Rockdale trader has been fined $1500 after she sold a prohibited gas cabinet heater that caught fire.

Mrs Assiya Habb, trading as Casablanca Gifts at Rockdale, sold the ‘JANA’ brand portable LPG fuelled gas cabinet heater for $200 to a Rose Bay man in 2013.

The heater did not have certification prior to being sold, in breach of the Gas Supply (Consumer Safety) Regulation 2012.

In July 2013 NSW Fair Trading published a notice prohibiting the sale of all flue-less portable LPG gas cabinet heaters due to an inherent safety risk.

In June 2014 a Rose Bay man attempted to ignite the heater when the gas bottle situated at the rear and connected to a heater element in the cabinet caught fire. He attempted to extinguish the fire unsuccessfully before calling NSW Fire and Rescue and alerting his neighbours to evacuate as the fire spread in his unit.

NSW Fire and Rescue arrived a short time later and extinguished the fire and reported the incident to NSW Fair Trading.

Mrs Habb, who did not appear in court, was fined $1500 and ordered to pay costs of $1587.

Fair Trading Commissioner Rod Stowe said the prosecution was a win for consumers.

“This type of appliance is very dangerous which is why Fair Trading has prohibited its sale,” he said.

“We encourage all consumers thinking of purchasing a heater for winter to check the appliance prior to purchase to ensure it is properly certified. Traders should also be careful not to sell prohibited appliances or they face the risk of prosecution.”

If you see a cabinet heater on offer for sale contact Fair Trading on 13 32 20 or on the Fair Trading website. A video on dangerous gas cabinet heaters is at

For information about home fire safety go to: and

JANA Gas Cabinet Heater

Product and service safety
Product safety for business
Our compliance role
Lodge a complaint
Contact us
Product Safety Australia

Post a reply

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Geoffr17 - Tuesday, Jun 30, 2015 at 09:32

Tuesday, Jun 30, 2015 at 09:32
It's about time.

But lets applaud the court system , fined just over $ 3000.00 for a device that burnt down a home unit and had people running for their lives.

They have no idea of the real world do they.

She should have got at least 12 imprisonment .

Probably paid cash there and then from the days takings , and back to making more than the fine the next day.

And how do these things get sold , we have no inspectors of imported goods.

AnswerID: 556512

Sponsored Links