Tyre Pressure's

Submitted: Friday, Apr 09, 2004 at 06:53
ThreadID: 11940 Views:2418 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
G'day Happy Easter,
I have just fitted new tyres to my ST 4500 Patrol. BFG All Terrain 265 / 70 / 16.
I'm concerned about the right tyre pressure's as the manufactures recomend (lable in glove box)
29 PSI Front & 35PSI Rear..when I checked the installed pressure they were all
43-45 PSI.. Fitted at Quick-Fit Tyres Phillip ACT.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Friday, Apr 09, 2004 at 09:45

Friday, Apr 09, 2004 at 09:45
Bob, not experienced with BFGs but think that is pretty high unless heavily loaded and would go with the plate in the glovebox. Probably more comfortable too

The higher pressures would tend to wear the middle of the tyre too quickly in comparison to the outside. Tend to take the pressures up a bit for sustained high speed work which we can't do really these days, but feel those are too high.

Go have a great Easter, don't crack too many eggs.....
AnswerID: 53759

Follow Up By: bob the builder - Saturday, Apr 10, 2004 at 05:46

Saturday, Apr 10, 2004 at 05:46
Thanks John
Im up early to go away for a few days in the snowy mountains.
staying at providance lodge on lake eucumbene and we are planning to day trip through the high country to visit the huts in the long plain road area close to Kiandra and the Blue waterholes

Cheers Bob
FollowupID: 315480

Reply By: Member - Kevin (NSW/ACT) - Sunday, Apr 11, 2004 at 14:32

Sunday, Apr 11, 2004 at 14:32
Bob,

That sounds too high - but can easily be checked with the 4 psi rule which is a good starting point for correct tyre pressure for a given weight. Check the pressure when tyres cold and then again after about a hour of normal highway driving. If increase is more than 4 psi then cold pressure was too low, if less than 4 psi then cold pressure was too high. Adjust accordingly and try again. I've used this method for about 7 years now and have had pretty good tyre life from all types of tyres.

By the way, how much did you pay for the BFG's if you don't mind me asking.

Cheers

Kevin
AnswerID: 53874

Follow Up By: bob the builder - Monday, Apr 12, 2004 at 17:02

Monday, Apr 12, 2004 at 17:02
Thanks for the advise Kevin,
We came home from our Easter trip and the tyre pressure was up a little on what it was when we left..seems like the 4Psi rule may work.. Ill give it a go..

I bought the BFG All Terrain's from Quick Fit Tyres in Phillip ACT
The deal was... $250 each X 5 $1250 and I traded my unused spare ..
I thought it was a Good Deal..how about you

Cheers Bob
FollowupID: 315603

Reply By: Bryan - Sunday, Apr 11, 2004 at 21:59

Sunday, Apr 11, 2004 at 21:59
Hi Bob,
I have a GQ LWB Patrol running BFG's 265/75's. I run the front at 34-35psi and the same for the rear for every day driving with no load. Anything higher and I have found the ride to be to hard due to the triple ply sidewalls on the BFGs very stiff and hard. When the car is loaded up for trips, I only bring the front up to generally 36 psi as I dont add any weight to the front and dont have a winch (but do have an ARB steel winch bull bar incase I every fit one), and the rear tyres I have at 40psi for most trips( rear full of camping gear,water,etc).. I have not had them above 40 in the rear as I have never really *loaded* the rear with heavy gear (tons of water/fuel, etc) and I dont tow a trailer.
Your GU is heavier than the GQ, so you may find your every day running preasure is 1-2psi more and your trip preassure higher again.
The 4psi guide is a good one to follow.

Hope this helps..
AnswerID: 53907

Follow Up By: bob the builder - Monday, Apr 12, 2004 at 17:21

Monday, Apr 12, 2004 at 17:21
Thanks Bryan
I shall put your good thoughts into action.

Cheers Bob
FollowupID: 315606

Sponsored Links