Rudall River NP via GCR, David Carnegie, Eagle Hwy and Talawanna Track

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 05, 2015 at 13:51
ThreadID: 119405 Views:2367 Replies:2 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I'm proposing a trip to Rudall River NP via the above route and will be travelling with an inexperienced outback adventurer driving a GLX Landcruiser in stock form. I will be towing a c/t and have my vehicle well set up.
Can anyone advise me of the current situation re the condition of David Carnegie, Eagle Highway and the Talawana track. It appears to be quite ok as long as you take your time.
Intend camping at Desert Queen Baths and any info on the park itself would be appreciated.
Also how reliable are fuel supplies at Parnngurr and price per litre.
Thanks in anticipation
Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Mick O - Sunday, Jul 05, 2015 at 15:53

Sunday, Jul 05, 2015 at 15:53
Dingo, a good route proposal. The DCR is much worn these days so it's a slow winding route once you get past Empress Spring. Take your time and watch the trailer tyres as you twist off the track to avoid the washed out areas.

I presume you'll take the Gary up to Windy Corner and the Talawana. There are no permits available for the the eagle North Road at this time although you could apply through to Central desert Native Title Services for permission to transit.

Talawana is usually a good run as it sees a lot less traffic. The stretch through the Mulga at the eastern end is great and this would be the place to set up camp before you hit the spinifex plains. It should only be lightly corrugated if at all. The western stretch approaching the Canning is my favourite part of the track, a lot more to see and you twist and turn through the sand country and past the small ribbon lakes that make up the northern stretches of Lake Disappointment.

Canning section through to Georgia Bore is rough as is the Section of the Talawanna up to the Parngurr turn-off- very heavily corrugated so take it easy.

Track into to Rudall is sandy but with the correct tyre pressures, hardly a challenge. Tjara pool is a nice spot to camp but small so if you're not their first, there's not a lot of room. The track in to DQB is rugged and the 17 km trip will take you an hour and thirty. No dramas with the trailer just take it easy and watch the tyres. Pick up your firewood well before you arrive as there will not be a lot available around the camp area. Same applies to Tjarra pool.

Fuel it Parrngurr can be hit and miss. You'll need to ring them and keep ringing them. They can be hard to get onto at times. It won't be cheap either at $3.80 - $4.00 per litre. Gauge it by Kurnawaritji's prices, they usually round up to the next dollar above their prices - ie; $3.20 ay K-Mart, then $4.00 at Parngurr!

My blog index should give you plenty of info on the park, conditions and things to see. If there has been a bit of water fall in the area, it can be spectacular.

Cheers and safe travels, Mick.

Rudall River - Highlights History and Places

Rudall River Info

''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 556693

Follow Up By: Member - DingoBlue(WA) - Sunday, Jul 05, 2015 at 16:06

Sunday, Jul 05, 2015 at 16:06
Thanks Mick,
was trying to send you a member message re this but buggered if I could find out how.
Will have a good look at your blogs and may have a few further questions for you if that's ok.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 842956

Follow Up By: Mick O - Sunday, Jul 05, 2015 at 16:37

Sunday, Jul 05, 2015 at 16:37
No dramas mate. Have just sent you an mm with contact details.

Cheers

Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 842958

Follow Up By: AlanTH - Monday, Jul 06, 2015 at 09:19

Monday, Jul 06, 2015 at 09:19
I was talking to the Parnngur community coordinator a couple of days ago re fuel and he advised it was selling at $3.20pl and they had plenty of it.
Main track into the park is good but the track north of Parnngur through the Connaughton Hills is reported to be very rugged to impassable.
We'll be there in approx. 3 weeks travelling much the same route, GCR, Carnegie, Talawana then exiting via the Telfer Access Rd.
Enjoy the trip.
AlanH.
FollowupID: 842981

Follow Up By: Member - DingoBlue(WA) - Monday, Jul 06, 2015 at 09:35

Monday, Jul 06, 2015 at 09:35
Thanks Alan,
would appreciate an update on your return. I'll put a thread watch on this. How long are you going for and when do you think you will be back?

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 842982

Reply By: Geoff N (NSW) - Tuesday, Jul 07, 2015 at 18:13

Tuesday, Jul 07, 2015 at 18:13
Last time I was in the area was about 2 years ago. The hand pump at the southern entrance to Rudall River NP was dry as the proverbial, so do not rely on it for water. The hand pump outside the northern entrance was good. Circumstances may have changed so worth asking around.
AnswerID: 556751

Follow Up By: Member - DingoBlue(WA) - Tuesday, Jul 07, 2015 at 18:35

Tuesday, Jul 07, 2015 at 18:35
Thanks Geoff,
I've 200litres on the c/t and another 80 on the vehicle so I think I should be ok. Am hoping to get water for showers from DQB or Tjara pool if needed.

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 843024

Sponsored Links