Hilux questions

Submitted: Friday, Apr 09, 2004 at 08:52
ThreadID: 11942 Views:7298 Replies:4 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
I've just ordered the SR5 TD and have a few questions about accessories that some of you may be able to help me with? I have ordered the beasty with an ARB winch bar, no winch as yet.

My previous oiler was a 60 series that I reluctantly sold when I left Oz for a two year stint in the US. Prior to selling it I removed the Codan and kept my recovery gear, fridge etc.

Can anyone tell me:

Is there room under the radio to fit a TX4400?
If not do you recommend a specific type of overhead console?
Has anyone fitted a Codan?
If so where have you mounted the autotune, the main receiver and the remote head? Did you use the big old speaker that comes with it or hook up a smaller after market one and where did you locate it?
Where have you mounted the second battery for the fridge? If so what mounting system did you use?
Do you have a neat storage solution for a high lift jack and a T35 Tirfor?
Has anyone come across a solution for building a self contained drawer, fridge, storage system that can easily be inserted and removed from the tray?
Any ideas on where to locate the compressor?

Any other great hints on getting this beasty ready would be great. I'm flying into Sydney, picking it up, fitting what I need and heading for the weeds, so time will be short when I get home. Want to get it right first time. I'd love to have a plan in place before I get there. Still got until January to plan it out so I'm in no hurry.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Cheers

Craig
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: jolls - Friday, Apr 09, 2004 at 09:47

Friday, Apr 09, 2004 at 09:47
Sorry,
Forgot another coupel of questions:

Any experience with a turbo timer, if so is it cabled for a hilux or do you need to wire it in?

And, finally

Do they make a canopy for the back that is quick release so that it can be easily removed and replace for high and long loads.

Thanks agian in advance for your hepl.

Cheers

Craig
AnswerID: 53760

Reply By: Jimbo (WA) - Friday, Apr 09, 2004 at 22:09

Friday, Apr 09, 2004 at 22:09
Craig,

1. The only solution to mounting your TX4400 wihout an overhead console that I can see is to replace your (useless) standard double DIN Toyota radio / CD with a single DIN aftermarket one and use the left over single DIN space to mount your UHF. DIN pockets and brackets are available from Toyota and other places.

2. I am looking into mounting a dual battery system, but haven't done so yet, and my research has steered me towards putting the second battery either in or under the rear tray.

3. I have managed to source a rear drawer system for my SR5 from the trading post for only $500 and that is now the home for all my gear, the fridge on a slide, and compressor. I can get to and use the fridge and compressor just by opening the canopy hatch.

4. I looked into a turbo timer but decided that since the turbo is watrer cooled I will do without it and just be aware of the requirement for a bit of a run-down after a long or hard stint.

5. I modified the canopy on my previous car, and will do it again to this one, to create a quick release set-up. The way i did it was to replace the mounting nuts / bolts with a length of threaded rod with a 120 degree bend in one end, and a wing nut for the other end. I inserted the rod from the bottom and placed the wing nut on top - and presto a canopy release system that enables the thing to be removed in about 5 mins max.

I hope this is of some use, if you want to get in touch feel free to message me.

AnswerID: 53819

Follow Up By: jolls - Friday, Apr 09, 2004 at 22:46

Friday, Apr 09, 2004 at 22:46
Jimbo,

Thanks for the reply. I'll look into the single radio given your advice on the quality of the original toyota one. I am still considering the overhead console for extra storage space though, I have one in my current Dodge and find it excellent.

Before you go down the path of setting up your canopy let me do a little research at this end. I have a gas strutted tonneau cover, soft skin, on my current ute and it uses a system of extruded alluminium channel. there is a T shaped piece that runs the length that allows you to insert a T bolt and tighten down a U shaped clamp. If I can find the pieces I believe it may be possible without drilling a hole. It most certainly would have worked on my first hilux, I'll check on one of my mates Tacomas to see if it would be suitable.

What sort of run down times do you use typicaly to exend your turbo life? Do you run synthetic oil?

Cheers and thanks for the advice.

Craig
FollowupID: 315468

Follow Up By: Jimbo (WA) - Friday, Apr 09, 2004 at 23:07

Friday, Apr 09, 2004 at 23:07
Craig,

The system for securing the canopy you mention sounds good. As for running down the turbo, the Owners Manual says....

Precautions for turning off 1KZ-TE engine

Normal city driving - idling time not necessary

High-speed driving - 80 km per hr - idling time 20 secs

High-speed driving - 100 km per hr - idling time 1 minute

Steep slopes or continued driving above 100 km per hr - idling time 2 minutes.

I run a mineral base crank case oil (Mobil Delvac MX) at the moment (whilst under warranty and I have to drop it every 5,000 kms) but will switch to synthetic (Mobil Delvac 1) once out of warranty.

I want to use synthetic but the cost just becomes outrageous if i drop the oil every 5k.

All other lubricants in my beast are synthetic.

There are several websites that make recommendations for particular vehiclestry this one and use "Hilux 4x4 SR5 KZN165, 1KZ-TE Turbo Diesel (1999-2001)" as your vehicle.

P.S. I have NO affiliation with mobil or any other oil organisation.
FollowupID: 315472

Reply By: Jimbo (WA) - Friday, Apr 09, 2004 at 23:10

Friday, Apr 09, 2004 at 23:10
Take two...

Craig,

The system for securing the canopy you mention sounds good. As for running down the turbo, the Owners Manual says....

Precautions for turning off 1KZ-TE engine

Normal city driving - idling time not necessary

High-speed driving - 80 km per hr - idling time 20 secs

High-speed driving - 100 km per hr - idling time 1 minute

Steep slopes or continued driving above 100 km per hr - idling time 2 minutes.

I run a mineral base crank case oil (Mobil Delvac MX) at the moment (whilst under warranty and I have to drop it every 5,000 kms) but will switch to synthetic (Mobil Delvac 1) once out of warranty.

I want to use synthetic but the cost just becomes outrageous if i drop the oil every 5k.

All other lubricants in my beast are synthetic.

There are several websites that make recommendations for particular vehicles - try this one http://www.mobil.com.au/index.asp; work down through Mobil / Products and Services / Lubricants and Specialities / lubricant Recommendations and use "Hilux 4x4 SR5 KZN165, 1KZ-TE Turbo Diesel (1999-2001)" as your vehicle.

P.S. I have NO affiliation with mobil or any other oil organisation.
AnswerID: 53821

Follow Up By: Slammin - Friday, Apr 09, 2004 at 23:38

Friday, Apr 09, 2004 at 23:38
I can't see why you would want to even use synthetic if you're going to dump it every 5k. You're better off, from what I've been, told doing what your doing now.

I guess if you're made of gold you could drop the synthetic every 5k but one of he selling points of synthetic is to use it for longer which doesn't make much sense either. From what I understand isn't the sump a bit small on these models hence the need to drop every 5k.

Don't get me wrong I love synthetic and use it in my bike but i wouldn't use it for any longer than I would mineral oil because it's still going to collect impurities from the piston blow by. I know it's operating temp's etc are better and lots of other +es but I'd drop it all the same.
FollowupID: 315475

Follow Up By: Slammin - Friday, Apr 09, 2004 at 23:42

Friday, Apr 09, 2004 at 23:42
Oh and I pity the por bastard that buys our work 3ltd. The idiots that drive it can't work out tyre pressure let alone letting the turbo run down and they drive it at 140k's for 2.5 hrs and just turn it off.

One reason I wouldn't buy a govt vehicle with turbo.
FollowupID: 315476

Follow Up By: jolls - Saturday, Apr 10, 2004 at 03:13

Saturday, Apr 10, 2004 at 03:13
Jim, Slammin,

Thanks for the advice. I am attracted to the synthetic oil because of what I believe is the better protection at start up. I certainly agrre that it should be dropped every 5K. I follow this ritual now; however, synthetic oil prices in the US are chap, as is fuel in general. I haven't noticed any difference in power or fuel economy due to the friction issue; however, I am currently driving a big V8 dodge gas guzzler.

My premise for synthetic oil is for prolonged component life. It has taken a long time to save the sheckles to purchase this and I would like the ute to last as long as my 60 series; 22 years before we departed company for my posting to the US.

The idle down times are much less than I expected, even with the intercooler. I'm still considering a turbo timer because the wife will drive it at times and it is too late once she turns it off with the turbo spinning. I've heard that the bogaard is reasonably cheap insurance against spouse forgetfulness. (Both Male and Female I should add, hate to be accused of being sexist)

Thanks again, have a great Easter.

Cheers

Craig
FollowupID: 315479

Reply By: Glenn D - Sunday, Apr 11, 2004 at 20:14

Sunday, Apr 11, 2004 at 20:14
Jolls, Have 2 turbo vehicles ( one offroad ,one road ) I am under the impression that running your turbo down is not for ensuring the turbo is not spinning,the turbo will always be spinning if exaust gasses are being produced. You warm it down so that you dont have a super hot turbo housing as oil flow cools it to a reasonable temp after use on boost . If you just turn it off oil is cooked by the high temp housing and damages the bearings. I live about 5min off the main road through 50km/h area and I find that I can do this run on low revs ie not on boost and warm the turbo down that way , the place to take care is pulling into a servo from a long run on the expressway.

Hope this helps
Glenn

PS I am happy to be corrected
AnswerID: 53903

Follow Up By: jolls - Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 07:27

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 07:27
Glenn,

I believe what you have said is correct and the problem areas are high temp damaging the bearings along with poor (dirty) lubrication on start up if you fail to change your oil on a regular basis. I am used to driving trucks and tend to let them idle whenever I stop for around five minutes. I haven't owned anything as small as a hilux with a turbo. Thanks again for the advice.

Cheers

Craig
FollowupID: 315633

Sponsored Links