Gold Coast 4wding

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 08, 2015 at 13:10
ThreadID: 119425 Views:2331 Replies:3 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Trying to build up a better picture of Gold Coast 4wd opportunities south of Brisbane .

We are just back to Vic from spending a week right in central Surfers Paradise where we managed to avoid all the theme parks we visited when the kids were hanging around and actually got out into the bush but in preparation for another such trip
I'm trying to get feedback.

It helped that we left Melbourne in sunshine arrived in Surfers in drizzle, left in drizzle and arrived back in sunshine although to be fair it was on average a warmer up there but still much to cold to swim in June.

Went with friends driving their 100 series (which is no 4800 Patrol) and first spot we tried was south at Ballina but didn't have time to investigate properly and get a "Pass on the weekend" so couldn't do much - probably just as well as two shark attacks occurred right where we went.

Presume this could be a good spot in future but would need planning ahead !

Same seemed to be for any tracks from Surfers to Beaudesert way, of which we just saw a few closed and gated tracks.

We did find and visit the Scenic Rim 4wd park near Beaudesert and it was a bit of fun for a day drive and $35 day pass.

We also managed to get to Stradbrooke island on a single vehicle tour in which we were only passengers in a side seated troppy.
(Not to be recommended if you have any back issues.)
It cost $100 each but thats cheaper that taking your own car and then paying for the ferry for a day trip.

The troppy took us up and down both sides of Stradbrooke island which has some nice beach driving , indeed on the east side we were only vehicle on the entire beach.

On the West side of Stradbrooke island there were several caravans and camping spots which you could drive down the beach to, very nice if you wish to spend a few days in the bush with the towers of Brisbane on the horizon.

We were also lucky enough to do some inland tracks but nothing that was hard 4wd.

Also it had a cute walk around a rocky headland and from it we saw Dolphins whales and Kangaroos

Don't know any more , but I believe Moreton bay(Island?) has some worthwhile tracks ?

P.S. One funny thing worth doing was a patriotic horse show called Australia Outback spectacular which had as its theme the Victorian high country and we got right into this one with all is sets and scenes reflecting many of the places we know so well.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: rumpig - Wednesday, Jul 08, 2015 at 20:08

Wednesday, Jul 08, 2015 at 20:08
Pretty much any decent 4wding betweeen The Goldy and Brisbane has been shut to public access these days. Plunkett Reserve has some good tracks in it, but having worked with the Rangers in there doing clean ups and fencing for rehabilitation, i know the fines are hefty if you get caught driving a vehicle in there these days. If you want to travel a touch further North, Glasshouse Mountains still has a heap of stuff there you can access without fear of getting fined.
Not a lot of tracks run across Moreton Island really, it's all pretty easy going stuff anyhow....you can easily drive the entire island in a day. Nice spot to get away for a few days though.
AnswerID: 556798

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Jul 09, 2015 at 07:50

Thursday, Jul 09, 2015 at 07:50
Thanks Rum - I got the impression you would have to work hard at it to find much.
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 843073

Reply By: Alloy c/t - Thursday, Jul 09, 2015 at 09:26

Thursday, Jul 09, 2015 at 09:26
Levuka out near Urbanville ...
AnswerID: 556806

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Thursday, Jul 09, 2015 at 10:03

Thursday, Jul 09, 2015 at 10:03
Thanks Alloy , I found its location but its a fair way out , their map includes a reference to some 4wd driving at Brookln.

The town name is spelt Urbenville apparently.

http://www.levuka.com.au/how-to-find-us.html
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 843075

Reply By: Krooznalong - Thursday, Jul 09, 2015 at 13:15

Thursday, Jul 09, 2015 at 13:15
"One funny thing worth doing". Assume you mean fun!
Anyway I've been to that show (3 times now - they change the show content every so often). What I found odd with the current one was the inclusion of Tom Kruse as a High Country Legend - AFAIK he and the Vic High County have no association.
But the horse riding was, as always, great. And what about the fake snow and chill wind they managed to deliver? Overall I really enjoyed it.
AnswerID: 556811

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Thursday, Jul 09, 2015 at 14:57

Thursday, Jul 09, 2015 at 14:57
If one wants to actually 'do' some real horse riding and droving like in days of yore ,,, "The Harry Redford Cattle Drive " is an experience , twas cancelled this year due to drought but hopefully will be up and running again next year …….
FollowupID: 843081

Follow Up By: Krooznalong - Thursday, Jul 09, 2015 at 14:59

Thursday, Jul 09, 2015 at 14:59
Would love to do that sort of thing but my knees tell me to forget it :-(
FollowupID: 843082

Follow Up By: Alloy c/t - Thursday, Jul 09, 2015 at 15:12

Thursday, Jul 09, 2015 at 15:12
Robbo the horse tailer and "chook'' Hannay the cook would make sure that A - a ladder to help get on the horse and B - plenty of RUM round the camp fire at night to take away any and all pain ….
FollowupID: 843083

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Friday, Jul 10, 2015 at 08:08

Friday, Jul 10, 2015 at 08:08
I also had trouble with how the circus segment fitted in , but it was all good !
Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 843111

Sponsored Links