Sunday History Photo / SA

Submitted: Sunday, Jul 12, 2015 at 05:47
ThreadID: 119463 Views:4508 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Today the SHP comes to you from the Grand Hyatt Hotel , Incheon, South Korea.

On 27 September 1956, Operation Buffalo commenced at Maralinga, as Emu Field was found to be too remote a site. The operation consisted of the testing of four fission bombs. Two were exploded from towers; one at ground level and one was released by a Royal Air Force Vickers Valiant bomber from a height of 30,000 ft (9,144 m). This was the first launching of a British atomic weapon from an aircraft.
Operation Antler followed in 1957. Antler was designed to test the triggering mechanisms of the weapons. Three tests began in September. The first two tests were conducted from towers; the last was suspended from balloons. Yields from the weapons were 1 kiloton, 6 kilotons and 25 kilotons respectively.

[Image cannot be loaded]

Participants in the test program were prohibited from disclosing details of its undertakings. Risking incarceration, nuclear veteran Avon Hudson became a whistle-blower and spoke out to the media in the 1970s. HIs disclosures helped pave the way towards a public inquiry into the tests and their legacy.
The McClelland Royal Commission of 1984–1985 identified significant residual contamination at some sites. British and Australian servicemen were purposely exposed to fallout from the blasts, to study radiological effects. The local Aboriginal people have claimed they were poisoned by the tests and, in 1994, the Australian Government reached a compensation settlement with Maralinga Tjarutja of $13.5 million in settlement of all claims in relation to the nuclear testing.[6] Previously many of these facts were kept from the public.

Despite the governments of Australia and the UK paying for two decontamination programs, concerns have been expressed that some areas of the Maralinga test sites are still contaminated 10 years after being declared 'clean'.opened a new school at Oak Valley replacing what had been described as the "worst school in Australia. In May 2004, following the passage of special legislation, Premier Rann handed back title to 21,000 square kilometres of land to the Maralinga Tjarutja and Pila Nguru people. The land, 1000 km Northwest of Adelaide and abutting the Western Australia border, was called the Unnamed Conservation Park. It is now known as Mamumgari Conservation Park. It includes the Serpentine Lakes and was the largest land return since Premier John Bannon's hand over of Maralinga lands in 1984. At the 2004 ceremony Premier Rann said the return of the land fulfilled a promise he made in 1991 when he was Aboriginal Affairs Minister, after he passed legislation to return lands including the sacred Ooldea area (which also included the site of Daisy Bates' mission camp) to the Maralinga Tjarutja people.

The site was contaminated with radioactive materials and an initial cleanup was attempted in 1967. The McClelland Royal Commission, an examination of the effects of the tests, delivered its report in 1985, and found that significant radiation hazards still existed at many of the Maralinga test areas. It recommended another cleanup, which was completed in 2000 at a cost of $108 million. Debate continued over the safety of the site and the long-term health effects on the traditional Aboriginal owners of the land and former personnel. In 1994, the Australian Government paid compensation amounting to $13.5 million to the local Maralinga Tjarutja people.
The Maralinga tests were subject to extreme secrecy, but by the late 1970s there was a marked change in how the Australian media covered the British nuclear tests. Some journalists investigated the subject and political scrutiny became more intense. Journalist Brian Toohey ran a series of stories in the Australian Financial Review in October 1978, based in part on a leaked Cabinet submission.[1] In June 1993, New Scientist journalist Ian Anderson wrote an article titled "Britain's dirty deeds at Maralinga" and several related articles.

A link to some newspaper clippings HERE

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 10 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Jul 12, 2015 at 07:56

Sunday, Jul 12, 2015 at 07:56
Hi Doug

Another interesting SHP.

But the first photo is not taken at Maralinga, sorry.

For those that know the history of the testing and have been to the sight will see the tell tale signs that the image was taken overseas.

Firstly the background terrain at Maralinga is flat and no major hills in the background.

Only British and Australian service personal were ever present at the testings, they are not their uniforms, and no civilians.

No set up seating to see the testing as as public affair.

And the biggest no, no......the lady sitting down on the seat........there were never any women ever out in the area at Maralinga during testing.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 556902

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Jul 12, 2015 at 08:13

Sunday, Jul 12, 2015 at 08:13
Just found a couple from Maralinga and you can see the difference in the terrain.

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 556903

Reply By: Member - Alan H (QLD) - Sunday, Jul 12, 2015 at 08:56

Sunday, Jul 12, 2015 at 08:56
Thanks Doug

That photo may well be American. Las Vegas had a large tourist industry to view A bomb blasts before it was developed into what it is today

Alan
AnswerID: 556905

Follow Up By: Member - tommo05 - Sunday, Jul 12, 2015 at 13:02

Sunday, Jul 12, 2015 at 13:02
It is indeed Nevada:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Sunbeam

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 843206

Reply By: Allan B (Member, SunCoast) - Sunday, Jul 12, 2015 at 17:23

Sunday, Jul 12, 2015 at 17:23
Thanks Doug,

But one other small error..... the title of your fourth photo is "Ground Zero, at the Taranaki nuclear test site at Woomera in SA".
Taranaki site is at Maralinga, not Woomera. There were no nuclear weapon trials at Woomera.
Cheers
Allan

AnswerID: 556936

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Sunday, Jul 12, 2015 at 18:16

Sunday, Jul 12, 2015 at 18:16
Hi Allen

That might have been a typo, also it is of the clean up and not actual ground zero after the testing.

Here are some from the actual testing, and look at the one for Marcoo that was at ground level. Also look at the 2 guys at ground zero after the tests.....better them than me.

The aerial photo shows a good example of the blast range and how it has wiped everything our in a nice circle.

Cheers

Stephen

Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 843220

Reply By: Gone Bush (WA) - Sunday, Jul 12, 2015 at 21:01

Sunday, Jul 12, 2015 at 21:01
Doug, off topic but Orange has just changed its name to White...
I'm glad I ain't too scared to be lazy
- Augustus McCrae (Lonesome Dove)

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 556942

Follow Up By: Life Member-Doug T NSW - Monday, Jul 13, 2015 at 05:59

Monday, Jul 13, 2015 at 05:59
Yes my Daughtersent photo's to me last night when I was in South Korea...in Summer.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 843227

Reply By: Life Member-Doug T NSW - Monday, Jul 13, 2015 at 05:56

Monday, Jul 13, 2015 at 05:56
Sorry guys, I realise there are some errors with a couple of photo, my appologies, I only copied what I found, and yes the first photo would for sure be in USA. maybe the long flight got to me, anyhow the second stage from Incheon went OK and now at friends near Mainz . see ya next week.

gift by Daughter

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 556946

Follow Up By: Member - tommo05 - Monday, Jul 13, 2015 at 13:39

Monday, Jul 13, 2015 at 13:39
Doug, I assumed you just slipped that in to see if we were paying attention...

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 843252

Sponsored Links