Self inflating mattresses?

Submitted: Monday, Jul 13, 2015 at 13:49
ThreadID: 119476 Views:2891 Replies:5 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

Have done extensive searching on Google for advice on self inflating mattresses and a number of threads appear on many different forums including this one however many seem to be years old.

I'm currently in the market for myself and the wife and 2 kids (7 & 5) for camping in a tent and wondering what people's experiences are like with different brands.

The oztrails seem quite comfortable (tried in store) but I'm yet to see one fully rolled up for transportation and this is my main concern as I only have the back of the patrol and full length roof rack for space. Maybe a little in feet area of rear seats.

Thermarest is pretty much out of my price range as ive got plenty other gear to purchase also.

I found the wild country (rays outdoors) also very comfortable but again the rolled size concerns me, or rather the level of effort and time getting it to an acceptable size.

If anyone has some suggestions I'd love to hear. Maybe there's some options out there I haven't yet discovered.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Chargergirl76 - Monday, Jul 13, 2015 at 14:14

Monday, Jul 13, 2015 at 14:14
We have the wild country ones and have had for many years now. Very comfortable and easy to set up. I find them easy to roll up and put away too - hubby has troubles! So that's my job haha.

The main issue with them is the size, especially if you need four of them. Four rolled up would pretty much take up the boot, other option it to put on the roof. In saying that, we have done many outback, extended trips and fitted them in (but there was only 2 of us).

We have since upgraded to stretcher beds, but the self inflating mattress was great for use in the tent over the years and is still going strong for use as backup bedding at home when require or lent to friends for camping.
AnswerID: 556971

Reply By: Bigfish - Monday, Jul 13, 2015 at 14:29

Monday, Jul 13, 2015 at 14:29
Exped Megamat 10 LXW

I recently purchased the above mattress after recommendations from another forum. Best thing I ever did. It is wide, long and extremely comfortable. It is a full 100cm thick yet rolls up thinner than a 40cm job I have. It was $199 from Snowys camping store. It inflates easily and comes with a simple air pump. Hint... take both bungs out when rolling up.

I bought it for motorcycle touring as I have a nice big thick swag for the vehicle when I go camping. Rated at -20 below it really is a bargain. Google it and have a look at the great reviews.

Sound like a salesman...nope. Just really happy with it and I want others to experience a great product too. Check out the Pajero forum of Vic...do a search and read the great reviews as well.

cheers
AnswerID: 556973

Follow Up By: Member - Noah273 - Monday, Jul 13, 2015 at 16:40

Monday, Jul 13, 2015 at 16:40
Yes Exped has been great for us, the love of my life can feel a pea under her mattress, this one has ticked all the boxes.

Sweet dreams indeed.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 843273

Follow Up By: Ben D8 - Monday, Jul 13, 2015 at 17:23

Monday, Jul 13, 2015 at 17:23
Hi bigfish cheers for your reply I have just been looking on snowys website and they also have a double for $100 more and still seems a reasonable size rolled up. They certainly look very impressive and super comfy I am definitely leaning this way.

Noah for you and the wife do you use singles or the duo???
FollowupID: 843277

Follow Up By: Member - Noah273 - Monday, Jul 13, 2015 at 17:48

Monday, Jul 13, 2015 at 17:48
We use the singles, the duo wasn't available then. I guess compare the width of the duo with what you sleep on at home, then ask yourself if it will work.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 843279

Reply By: oetkb - Monday, Jul 13, 2015 at 14:37

Monday, Jul 13, 2015 at 14:37
Don't do it. Spend the money!!
I recommend the macpac version but its a blow up Mattress.
the cheap versions tend to delaminate quickly and without reason.
I was on a 30 day trip when my new cheap mat delaminated. after a few horrible nights sleep and a sore back I passed through a town and decided to get a new one on warranty. No problem was the policy but we need you're one to test and make sure its the manufactures fault, this will take 3 weeks. I guess the football sized bubble wasn't a give away to a manufacturing issue. I convinced them to give me another one, took it back to camp, inflated it for an afternoon siesta and bam, same problem again.
Good luck
AnswerID: 556974

Reply By: AlbyNSW - Monday, Jul 13, 2015 at 14:59

Monday, Jul 13, 2015 at 14:59
The standard 4WD mattresses around the $80 mark are very comfortable but bulky to store
The Blackwolf Super Deluxe ones are good but pricey, Anaconda does there knock off version of those and they are nearly as good but a lot cheaper particularly when on sale.

The kids can get away with the 3/4 type as they use less room

Lots of options available, just finding the right one at a suitable price point is the issue.

Suggest you go with two singles rather than the double ones, they are much easier to roll up and to stow away as well.
AnswerID: 556976

Reply By: Ben D8 - Monday, Jul 13, 2015 at 17:39

Monday, Jul 13, 2015 at 17:39
Thanks everyone so far...

I am now thinking either the exped duo or the black wolf double for me and the wife. The exped looks better and definitely rolls smaller but the black wolf is nearly $100 cheaper.

For the kids I might get two single cheap ones. They don't have the body weight so 10cm thick would be overkill I reckon. Not sure which brand I think oztrail do a slimmer version but even their 4wd 10cm mats I can get two for $150 on ebay...

Thoughts ???
AnswerID: 556983

Follow Up By: Bigfish - Monday, Jul 13, 2015 at 18:54

Monday, Jul 13, 2015 at 18:54
A good night sleep is essential for a good holiday. Spend the extra and get the best quality. Otherwise spend $150.00 a night at a motel where even there you are not guaranteed a good nights sleep.

Definitely go the Exped, especially at the price Snowy is doing them for.
FollowupID: 843280

Sponsored Links