OTL campers rubbish

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 14, 2015 at 11:45
ThreadID: 119484 Views:2323 Replies:2 FollowUps:5
This Thread has been Archived
I note another thread similar in nature has also been recently posted but I want to put my own point of view across on our experience.
We have just completed our trip to Cape York via the OTL. We had an absolute ball. The OTL was great fun and entertaining. Watching others go through what we had just done was awesome. If you haven't done it, do it. We made sure that the footprints we left were as small as possible. We noted most people were doing the same and the right thing was being done. Unfortunately however some were not so astute. The amount of rubbish strewn through the bush and around campsites by previous travellers was appalling. Used toilet paper, beer cans, stubbies and plastic bottles were just thrown into the bush. Even track care was being ignored by some who persisted with running highway pressures in their tyres resulting in track damage on entries and exits. No wonder the Green movement has so much voice when these things continue to happen in such a beautiful environment. We can't blame other group other than fellow 4x4ers. I just wish the redneck I don't give a dam attitude would wake up and realise they are ruining it for all by not being more responsible.
Back Expand Un-Read 7 Moderator

Reply By: spanner1969 - Wednesday, Jul 15, 2015 at 10:40

Wednesday, Jul 15, 2015 at 10:40
I agree with your post 322.
The rubbish even on the side of the roads from Lightnight ridge heading up to the Cape including Nolans creek and Chilli beach was just disgusting.
Eventually we will be locked out of these places because of idoits who cant read and do the right thing. We had a defication in front of the toilet at chilli beach upon arrival.
Its hard to understand why some many people are just lazy and ignorant to basic rules, lets hope they are not parents.
AnswerID: 557035

Follow Up By: Legendts - Wednesday, Jul 15, 2015 at 22:02

Wednesday, Jul 15, 2015 at 22:02
The thing is its Australia wide. You can very rarely stop at a roadside stop or free camp area anywhere and find it clean. bleep e and paper everywhere. We stopped today at a bitumened stop and right on the edge of the bitumen was a pile of it, they couldn't even go into the bush. We are at a rare place tonight and extremely clean and tidy, Bromus dam water tank near Norseman so if you're this way and need a stop check it out.
FollowupID: 843374

Reply By: Member - johnat - Wednesday, Jul 15, 2015 at 16:00

Wednesday, Jul 15, 2015 at 16:00
Your comment ... "I just wish the redneck I don't give a dam attitude would wake up and realise they are ruining it for all by not being more responsible." strikes a chord, but you have to understand that their attitude is one of "I've done that, no need to come back, and who else matters anyway?"
Sorry, but that's the reality of these people. It is all about them, their fun, their drinks, their comfort - and to hell with anyone else (even, at times, their friends). Responsible is not a word they recognise, especially when it refers to them.
AnswerID: 557047

Follow Up By: ctaplin - Thursday, Jul 16, 2015 at 23:07

Thursday, Jul 16, 2015 at 23:07
Unfortunately this isn't a new problem, as many other will know. I first went up the Cape in 1990 and at places like the Wenlock river crossing, before there was a bridge, rubbish was everywhere as were uncovered toilet spots. All the way up the Cape it was the same story, people are reckless and uncaring about how they get rid of their rubbish. I last went up in 2006 and won't be going back, even though it's a stunning part of our country. Too many bleep s and rednecks are wrecking the place for everyone else!

And to the rednecks, bleep s, you carried your rubbish into a unique wilderness area, take the bleep back out with you!

What the hell are these people thinking when they throw rubbish into the bush???

Chris
FollowupID: 843402

Follow Up By: ctaplin - Thursday, Jul 16, 2015 at 23:10

Thursday, Jul 16, 2015 at 23:10
Sorry for the bleeps in the above message, I didn't realise that even mild swear words were so closely monitored...
FollowupID: 843403

Follow Up By: Shaker - Thursday, Jul 16, 2015 at 23:23

Thursday, Jul 16, 2015 at 23:23
I think you will find that the censorship is automated because it is a family forum!

FollowupID: 843404

Follow Up By: ctaplin - Thursday, Jul 16, 2015 at 23:39

Thursday, Jul 16, 2015 at 23:39
Fair enough, point taken...
FollowupID: 843406

Sponsored Links