Snow time is here again.

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 16, 2015 at 21:52
ThreadID: 119513 Views:1789 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
This week its come on hard , so I did a little run up to Mt Margret near Buxton Victoria (thurs) today to check it out. Its only an hour from melbournes eastern suburbs and there isn't as much as you get near Matlock but theres plenty to play in and it should stay till saturday but I'd get in early if going.

Its only about 8 - 10 inches but it was enough that you were driving on fresh snow and its a great place to take kids for a snow fight.

Theres a lot of tree wreckage though , this area was burnt out on black saturday so they come down easily.

My brother did this run sunday so I was surprized to be almost blocked by trees some of which must have come down in last 24 hrs.

Indeed at one point the sky clouded over and it began to snow and wind came up just as I came across a fallen tree, the little aldi electric chainsaw I was carrying saved the day though despite being used to clear bigger fish on the way up.

It would have been easy to have another come down behind me , which wouldn't have been good as I was travelling alone.

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 2 Moderator

Reply By: Frank P (NSW) - Thursday, Jul 16, 2015 at 22:34

Thursday, Jul 16, 2015 at 22:34
Hi Robin,

Yes, those fire-damaged trees are falling like pick-up sticks. In October I went up to Geehi dam, track clear on the way in. Two hours later on the way out the track was blocked. I had no chainsaw then but was able to pull the tree out of the way with a strap.

I believe a chainsaw is now essential, not an option, for travel in the fire-affected parts of the High Country and Snowies.

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 557086

Reply By: Member - tommo05 - Sunday, Jul 19, 2015 at 19:15

Sunday, Jul 19, 2015 at 19:15
We drove up to the Matlock fire tower on Friday, Matlock itself had far less snow than this time last year but still plenty up the top. We were staying in Jamieson the last few days and the past two nights were bloody cold so reckon there could have been a bit more snow since. Woke up this morning to a car covered in icy frost and the birdbath frozen solid.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 557170

Follow Up By: Robin Miller - Sunday, Jul 19, 2015 at 19:27

Sunday, Jul 19, 2015 at 19:27
Thanks Tommo , the tower up there is another good place not to far from town to get to the snow all right.

Mind you I reckon there were plenty of frozen bird baths in melbourne this morning , my cars temp was 0.0 whereas up on blue range road the other day in the snow it didn't drop below 2.0

Robin Miller

My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 843479

Sponsored Links