Maytown FNQ

For those who have been to the Palmer River and Maytown in FNQ and have heard of the problems with a property that you go near may find the article below of interest.

http://www.cairnspost.com.au/news/cairns/victims-friends-to-testify-in-cairns-murder-trial-of-gold-prospector-bruce-schuler/story-fnpqrsxl-1227446310968

Sorry that I can't copy a direct short cut but copy and paste will bring up the article.
Den
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Nomadic Navara - Saturday, Jul 18, 2015 at 23:07

Saturday, Jul 18, 2015 at 23:07
Try this link
PeterD
Retired radio and electronics technician

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 557144

Follow Up By: den57 - Sunday, Jul 19, 2015 at 09:42

Sunday, Jul 19, 2015 at 09:42
Thanks PeterD
Den
FollowupID: 843460

Reply By: Member - Jim B8 - Sunday, Jul 19, 2015 at 11:42

Sunday, Jul 19, 2015 at 11:42
Thanks for the link, an interesting story, I have tried to follow it for some time now, but it went quiet. Must be a couple of years since Bruce's disappearance?
AnswerID: 557160

Follow Up By: wozzie (WA) - Monday, Jul 20, 2015 at 14:24

Monday, Jul 20, 2015 at 14:24
'Twas 2012

Happened to drive through the station about a week or 2 after it occurred.

Checked at Laura first as to what the current situation was at the time and they told me the owners, or at least the husband had been carted of to spend time in the cells.

Recall there were cops crawling everywhere around the station homestead at the time we drove through.

Taken awhile to get to this stage... thought it must have been resolved already.

Cheers
Dreamin' agin

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 843501

Reply By: Warren B - Sunday, Jul 19, 2015 at 17:05

Sunday, Jul 19, 2015 at 17:05
Few weeks ago we camped across the river at maytown for a few days when we left we helped another bloke and dropped him off at Lakeland over a few beers at the pub he told us of the story and said we were very lucky that we weren't spotted camped at that spot as he /they had been known to do wonderful things to peoples equiptment as well as blocking roads putting up fences across roads etc seems the story was true. Bloody nice spot to kill a few days but.
Cheers warren
AnswerID: 557169

Follow Up By: oldtrack123 - Monday, Jul 20, 2015 at 23:35

Monday, Jul 20, 2015 at 23:35
Hi
Something like 35 years ago we meet the gent & lady concerned.
We had been camped @ Maytown for 2 days when around midday this ute drives up to us.
The first thing we see is a woman in the passenger seat with a rifle out the window at myself .
We had a few close shaves in the past with illegal bird trappers ,weed crops etc & talked our way out

My wife tended to panic, but I slowly walked up to driver side,until he said "that's close enough"
I asked him was there a problem & got the reply '
"You need to be careful in these sorts of places you never know what yo may drive into"

I replied" yes, we have had a few situations"

We ended up having a long friendly chat
With both getting out& her putting the gun down chatting to the wife.

Like we had heard from many in our travels in such locations, they had more than a gutful of idiots who seemed to think it was the "WILD WEST '
Not for the first time did we hear about stock being killed & butchered, fences cut , gates left open, him being threatened .

We were @ that time aware of such instances on properties near Pentland , Woolgar, Percyville .
I reckon we talked for at least an hour with them wishing us all the best& warning to be carfull what we drove into'. with him saying " Trust your gut, if it does not feel right ,get out quick"

While not justifying what they are accused of ,I do wonder if it was just a case of the last straw breaking the came'ls back.

We will probably never know the real story

PeterQ
FollowupID: 843516

Follow Up By: oldtrack123 - Monday, Jul 20, 2015 at 23:48

Monday, Jul 20, 2015 at 23:48
Hi
I just had a read of the article
Interesting about the fire
That it seems was what brought him there that day
Some one had started a fire & it was burning out of control.
He was really bleep off .about it .
.Uncontrolled fire in that sort of country can be bad news for the station people.
PeterQ
FollowupID: 843517

Follow Up By: den57 - Friday, Jul 24, 2015 at 16:39

Friday, Jul 24, 2015 at 16:39
Cairns Post is reporting on line that they were found guilty, sentenced at a later date.
FollowupID: 843661

Sponsored Links