Gas Bottles

Submitted: Friday, Apr 09, 2004 at 19:24
ThreadID: 11954 Views:1519 Replies:2 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Gidday all, we are about to the around Australia thing and with the 4by having everything but the kitchen sink (maybe we are not trying) on it, I was wondering what is the best way to carry gas bottles. Are they legal being carried on the roof in a box or do they have to be carried in the vehicle.
Saw some nasty stuff on the TV last night about bottles exploding in cars.
Thanks for any feedback

Cheers
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: navaraman - Friday, Apr 09, 2004 at 19:29

Friday, Apr 09, 2004 at 19:29
It is legal to carry them in a vehicle or on the roof. The roof is the better option IMO, just remember LPG is heavier than air so it may sink into your car although this is most unlikely. It's a potentially explosive hazard, treat it with due care and you'll be fine. I work as a gas fitter and it's pretty hard to make the stuff explode but it can happen so just be careful. Your probably at greater risk from your petrol tank or d!ckheads on the rod tbh.
AnswerID: 53801

Follow Up By: wheregone - Friday, Apr 09, 2004 at 20:06

Friday, Apr 09, 2004 at 20:06
Thanks Navaraman.
So the heat of the day up north is no probelm?? That was my only concern when thinking of the roof.
FollowupID: 315463

Follow Up By: navaraman - Friday, Apr 09, 2004 at 22:05

Friday, Apr 09, 2004 at 22:05
The heat up north is no problem. When dealing with expansion of gases due to heat it all relates back to absolute temperatures (degrees Kelvin) so an incease of 20 -30 centigrade is not that significant. Bit technical but you asked. ; )

Check for leaking valves with soapy water, especially after refilling the cylinder, store it securely upright and well ventilated. The biggest problem stroring it on the roof is you might drop it on your toe taking it off.
FollowupID: 315465

Follow Up By: Shaker - Saturday, Apr 10, 2004 at 18:08

Saturday, Apr 10, 2004 at 18:08
I am not so sure that it is legal to carry them on the roof. I know that roof mounted LPG fuel tanks were outlawed in Victotria some time ago.
FollowupID: 315513

Reply By: phil - Friday, Apr 09, 2004 at 20:15

Friday, Apr 09, 2004 at 20:15
There has been a lot of discussion about this topic recently on this forum.
I suggest that you do a search on the topic. Basically it seems to me that there is a lot of opinions and not much real data or facts. In general if stored outside a gas bottle must be within the outline of the vehicle or trailer. Storing any quantity inside is a very bad idea!
Phil
AnswerID: 53809

Sponsored Links