Swag

Submitted: Tuesday, Jul 21, 2015 at 09:42
ThreadID: 119555 Views:3495 Replies:8 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
I'm looking to buy a new swag and seek other members advice and experience. I'm looking for an ordinary old crawl into swag, not one with hoops and mozzie wire and a whole lot of bells and whistles. Just a chuck in the ute, roll out, crawl into swag. It needs to be rugged canvas and keep the dew off. Cheers.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Loddo48 - Tuesday, Jul 21, 2015 at 10:51

Tuesday, Jul 21, 2015 at 10:51
Hi Wozikev
if you are after a good quality canvas swag and aussie made with aussie canvas you could try Bob Burrage of outback bush gear at Kembla grange on 0412129972
AnswerID: 557228

Follow Up By: Tim F3 - Tuesday, Jul 21, 2015 at 12:06

Tuesday, Jul 21, 2015 at 12:06
I had a swag custom made by bob burrage about 10 years ago and a roll out awning. Both are outstanding and absolutely waterproof.

Bob has exactly the type you describe .
FollowupID: 843521

Reply By: Les - PK Ranger - Tuesday, Jul 21, 2015 at 14:18

Tuesday, Jul 21, 2015 at 14:18
I don't mind the 'in your face' type of swag, can usually prop up a bit if needed to cover the head and top of sleeping bag.

I have a Dune Stockton single, love it, very waterproof after 'seasoning', which needs to be done for any swag or similar type of tent etc to seal stitching holes.
Has the single pole if you want to rig it in a minute of so, good for use in rain.

These can be had for under $100 on special, got one for my brother in QLD about 8 months ago for $85 !!
Keep an eye out.

For trips with me and the missus, I use a Bushwacker double very handy 1450 width for 2 people, and can also be used with a short pole up front to make an apex if needed.
Found this one online for $195 here at Camping Solution site
I bought a pole separately from BCF, not supplied with swag, but has the hole there for pole spike to be placed into.

For both I have purchased a corrugated foam topper mattress from Clark rubber to put on the std 50mm mattresses, a bit of a cost there, but adds so much comfort / air circulation to the std set up.
AnswerID: 557234

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Tuesday, Jul 21, 2015 at 14:31

Tuesday, Jul 21, 2015 at 14:31
Hi Wozikev

Regardless of what ever type you buy ( We have both types, the conventional open swag as well as a Southern Cross Dome Swag. After using a good dome swag, we will not use an open swag again and goes up in not much more time than the open swag. ), make sure it is Australian made with Aussie canvas.

In most cases, your Aussie made swag will be a lot dearer than the cheap, thin imported swags. The extra cost will give you trouble free camping for decades to come and peace of mind knowing you have a quality made Australian Product.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 557236

Reply By: Member - Outback Gazz - Tuesday, Jul 21, 2015 at 18:28

Tuesday, Jul 21, 2015 at 18:28
G'day Wozikev

I have been using a "DB" swag for nearly 30 years all over Australia and love it !
( I have 5 swags of all types and designs but this is my favourite )

It is a very simple and easy to use swag. You can tie it up to a tree, a bull bar, a shovel, a tow bar etc if you want a bit of head room. Or you can just roll it out and lay it on the ground or in the back of your ute etc and it's then just a bed - no need to zip it up.

I have a 30mm high density mattress on the bottom with a softer 50mm one on top of that. I use an opened sleeping bag for a sheet ( satin side up ) and have a high quality single bed woollen doona to keep me warm. If need be I can zip up the sleeping bag and get in that if things get too cold but I have yet to do that even in the high country sleeping in the snow. I find the sleeping bags too restrictive so the doona is great. It's a very comfortable set up and great to sleep in.

It might be too much information but I also keep in my swag - a small led torch - a beanie - a tooth brush - packet of quikeze - packet of panadol - some toilet paper in a zip lok bag - spare pair of jox - a condom in case I get lucky and a small pocket knife in case my mates cable tie my zips together after I had too many sarsaparillas one night !

Another option you could look at is to go to a canvas company and get one made up to how you want it - size, shape etc etc

Good luck with your decision whatever you get

Cheers

Gazz
AnswerID: 557247

Reply By: Kanga1 - Tuesday, Jul 21, 2015 at 21:03

Tuesday, Jul 21, 2015 at 21:03
Have a look at Sauls swags, they have a web address. Had mine for almost 10 years, no frills but faultlessly simple. Cheers, Kanga.
Tempus Fugit

Kanga.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 557257

Reply By: Bazooka - Tuesday, Jul 21, 2015 at 23:27

Tuesday, Jul 21, 2015 at 23:27
Plenty of perfectly good swags out there which will last for decades if looked after. I have a Jolly swag - dome type, excellent. No worries about bugs, ants, condensation etc. Australian company but having just checked the website I'm guessing it's probably OS made (because they don't specifically state Oz made). Bought an OS made double for daughter (can't remember the origin now) - same deal, excellent product.

Darche is another highly rated Aussie brand.

You might also want to look here: Swags For Homeless.

Interesting comments re litetrex V canvas on the same website. Might be something in it, might be grain of salt stuff. 600D seems thick enough to be durable.

Just found this background to the product. Interesting, even if it's not exactly what most of us want (I'd have to add a foam matress).http://www.fastcompany.com/3022099/reverse-engineered/how-a-backpack-that-converts-to-a-tent-is-tackling-homelessness

AnswerID: 557265

Reply By: Member - John (Vic) - Wednesday, Jul 22, 2015 at 17:24

Wednesday, Jul 22, 2015 at 17:24
There's a Southern Cross single swag advertised in the classifieds in very good condition.

VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 557288

Reply By: Mark O4 - Saturday, Jul 25, 2015 at 15:23

Saturday, Jul 25, 2015 at 15:23
We have just come back from Central Australia and purchased two new swags from Central Canvas in Smith St Alice Springs. At $200 each they are real value and very well made with a really comfortable mattress. I didn't need a new swag but after seeing the ones at Central Canvas I couldn't resist a quality Australian product. They will freight/post.

Cheers

Mark
AnswerID: 557384

Sponsored Links