Rear camera connection advice

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 23, 2015 at 08:22
ThreadID: 119583 Views:2151 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi, I have a couple of trailers that I want to fit with rear cameras, as well as the tow vehicle. I know nothing about vehicle cameras specifically but I'm comfortable with wiring and I do have some experience with cameras in general (mostly analogue).

Mainly I'm just wondering what is the best / most common / most versatile system to look for - I don't want to get myself into something weird and proprietary, as I may upgrade my stereo in future to one with a screen, or I might want to fit out a second vehicle to be compatible with both trailers.

Are all systems interchangeable these days or is there a particular type I should seek out for maximum compatibility?
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Thursday, Jul 23, 2015 at 09:22

Thursday, Jul 23, 2015 at 09:22
Sounds like you know as much about these cameras as I do, Wort. :-)

Check out then"Safety Dave" website, he seems to get a good wrap from the more knowledgeable ones on this site.

Also Derek at ABR (advertiser on this site) has a couple of units available. Jaycar sell a few too.

Think the jury is still out on wired vs wireless units. Caravans would appear to mask the signal, and there is also some interference issues with the wireless units. Depending on your style of trailers, they may be okay?

Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 557304

Follow Up By: Slow one - Thursday, Jul 23, 2015 at 10:22

Thursday, Jul 23, 2015 at 10:22
Just to add to Bob's sites, this mob are reliable and back their product.

Here is the link to Elinz reverse cameras
FollowupID: 843605

Reply By: Member - bbuzz (NSW) - Thursday, Jul 23, 2015 at 13:27

Thursday, Jul 23, 2015 at 13:27
Hi wortgames,
Look up these guys; in Melbourne; who supply a stereo/entertainment unit that supports 3 camera inputs for a range of vehicles.
Their prices are cheap but the quality is high. I have the unit in my Prado and the one before that with a reverse camera and a caravan camera wired with a cable.
Good quality picture and the wiring looms come complete so no splicing.
I have a separate monitor on my caravan camera as the radio doesn't work when the camera is being displayed. Small problem but only when you want to monitor trucks while you are driving along.

I am happy with my units performance.

Dig Options Cameras et al

bill
Bill B

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 557313

Reply By: Pattio - Friday, Jul 24, 2015 at 00:24

Friday, Jul 24, 2015 at 00:24
Elinz x2. Happy customer. One problem replaced no worries. The other suppliers are probably great people to, just happy with Elinz.
AnswerID: 557329

Follow Up By: brianH - Saturday, Jul 25, 2015 at 20:24

Saturday, Jul 25, 2015 at 20:24
Hi wortgames I know a little re cameras, two types, cdos and ccd cameras.if you need the camera to run full time you need the ccd type, the cdos type is usually for intermittent use, Elinz are a good supplier, fast delivery, very good web site and reputable.I have the seven iinch monitor type with the two power cables, one camera, one power lead for approx $179.I am not certain if the other brands have a four wire cable which will carry three wires for three cameras and the twelve volt one to power the camera for ease of wiring.All you have to do is wire the power cable to the power source and connect to the cables.I have carried over the original system from two cars and I am very happy with their perfomance. cheersn,Brian, ps I agree with Pattio that the other firms most likely have good systems
FollowupID: 843707

Sponsored Links