Karumba, QLD

Submitted: Thursday, Jul 23, 2015 at 19:06
ThreadID: 119591 Views:2349 Replies:6 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
We're going to Karumba as part of our next trip, leaving next week, can anyone recommend a van park up there?I have read a few reviews both good and bad,and as we need to book in advance current info would be helpful. Thanks in advance, regards Keith.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Jul 23, 2015 at 20:09

Thursday, Jul 23, 2015 at 20:09
Hi Keith

We were there around a month ago, and every carvan park was fully booked. When we went into the Visitor Information Centre to get some local information, the first thing the lady asked was..."I hope you have booked in".

We did not stay there, and can not comment on what the parks are like. The only thing I can say is from what we could see from the road, they all utilised every square inch of room and you would not have any privacy from your next door neighbour. Not unless you have a very firm travel plan, it would be very hard to know an exact day that you intend to arrive, as like many things, when you travel many thousands of kilometres, you do not want to rush the drive just to get there.

If you intend to stay at Normanton, I would personally prefer to free camp across the river, just out of town and too far for locals to walk. Normanton is only a very small town, but it does not sit right when you book into the caravan park, only to be told "do not leaving anything valuable in your car, make sure it is locked at all times and keep you van secure when not around." I will not say for what for, but you will know when you get to see why when you are there.......mini Alice Springs.

The cheapest fuel in the area, is at the fuel depot in Kuramba, near the cattle export terminal, what was nearly 20 cents per litre cheaper than Normanton. It may look like a fuel terminal, but they are open to the public, and just keep heading west after the main shopping area.

Enjoy your trip.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 557319

Follow Up By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Jul 23, 2015 at 21:15

Thursday, Jul 23, 2015 at 21:15
Gday Stephen, missed you by a couple of weeks - we were at Lawn Hill and then Karumba about 2 weeks ago!
Cheers
Phil
FollowupID: 843638

Follow Up By: Member - Scott M (NSW) - Thursday, Jul 23, 2015 at 21:17

Thursday, Jul 23, 2015 at 21:17
Funny, when we went to visit, we were asked if we fish or not... when we said no, the standard answer was ..."well why the bleep are you going there?"

Pub was nice, Caravan park looked like they were stacking them 2 deep - unless you fish (and have a tinny) then a day trip will suffice.
FollowupID: 843639

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Thursday, Jul 23, 2015 at 22:26

Thursday, Jul 23, 2015 at 22:26
Hi Phil

Yes we spent 4 days at Lawn Hill and had a ball. 33° days and 20° nights and get back home to minus 3°......not real happy about that....lol

Hope you had a great trip.

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 843642

Reply By: Member - Phil G (SA) - Thursday, Jul 23, 2015 at 21:14

Thursday, Jul 23, 2015 at 21:14
Keith,
we were there 2 weeks ago, and like Stephen says it was pretty full. But we had no trouble - booked into one of the 3 parks at Karumba Point (the one closest to the pub). Had dinner at the pub and watched the sunset. Yes, the sites were a bit sqeezy because everyone around us had a boat and many were there for 4 months straight to escape the cold down south. But they were a very friendly bunch, and we enjoyed the stay.
There was a bigger park in the town itself that looked less crowded.

As far as Stephen's recommendation about the freecamp on the river at Normanton, I wouldn't rely on it. We attempted to stay there, but it is limited to 10 campers only with permits issued from the visitors info centre. You have to be there at 9am to get the permits, otherwise they will be gone. If you camp without a permit, you may cop a $200 fine. It was a nice spot though. The caravan park at Normanton looked unappealing so we moved on to Croydon, and had a good time there.

Cheers
Phil
AnswerID: 557321

Reply By: birdnerd - Thursday, Jul 23, 2015 at 22:15

Thursday, Jul 23, 2015 at 22:15
Hi Keith,
Agree with Scott. If you are fishing that's great but otherwise "just a look" will suffice. And caravan park was full to the brim at Karumba Point but we stayed at the other one around the other side, can't remember name, not as nice location but just a busy. You really don't have a lot of choice from memory?
Amanda
AnswerID: 557328

Reply By: CSeaJay - Friday, Jul 24, 2015 at 09:50

Friday, Jul 24, 2015 at 09:50
Re all the 'just look' comments if you do not fish
I wish to add a "and have a barra' to that. To have a barra and a cool ale at the pub at sunset is something I will do again.
And at Normanton, a street just off the main drag, there is a lunch/sandwich type take away place (sorry cant remember the name) but the Barra Burger is an absolute must.
CJ
AnswerID: 557339

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen L (Clare SA) - Friday, Jul 24, 2015 at 23:41

Friday, Jul 24, 2015 at 23:41
Hi CJ

Yes the takeaway shop is called "Gobble N Go"

Cheers

Stephen
Smile like a Crocodile

Lifetime Member

FollowupID: 843680

Reply By: mountainman - Friday, Jul 24, 2015 at 14:51

Friday, Jul 24, 2015 at 14:51
I stayed at the caravan park near the bakery..supermarket in karumba.
Also recommend filling up at the oil depot too...
that pub is MAGIC at sunset.
great spot.
C/park was good
friendly and not all that busy.
Fish werent on the bite either.
drove all the way from mackay
AnswerID: 557352

Reply By: Member - Beatit (QLD) - Friday, Jul 24, 2015 at 20:32

Friday, Jul 24, 2015 at 20:32
G'day Keith,

We were there in October a few years ago and it was a lot quitter than this early but I can only imagine how crowded it will be. I have a blog with some info that might be useful,
Karumba

Kind regards
AnswerID: 557360

Sponsored Links