Help please - Which itinerary for our around Australia trip???

Submitted: Wednesday, Jul 29, 2015 at 11:18
ThreadID: 119649 Views:2083 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi everyone,

We are leaving for an 11 month trip around Australia from the end of August of this year. There will be hubby, myself and four kids aged 10,8,6 and 4. We are doing a lot of free/cheap camping so we can be flexible with our itinerary.

We have come up with two rough itineraries and was wondering which everyone would recommend. I guess our main question is when is the better time to be in WA? The heat doesn't bother us....we would rather be hot than cold, and for the kids to be able to swim etc.

We are leaving from Brisbane, QLD, will be aiming to be at the NT border within a week (as we have already done central QLD and this route on a previous holiday). We also want to get to the NT while it's not too hot. We also aren't doing much of NSW apart from Snowy Mountains, as we have done a fair bit of the NSW coast also, and this is also easily accessible for shorter holidays.

ITINERARY 1:

S - NT (Top End only)
O - WA (Kimberley (El Questro, Bungle Bungles to Broome) / Pilbara (Karijini NP))
N - WA (Coral Coast/Perth regions)
D - WA (Margaret River to SA border)
J - SA (Nullabor, Port Augusta, Mildura, Snowy Mtns)
F - East VIC (High Country, Wilsons Prom, Phillip Island)
M - TAS
A - West VIC/SA (Great Ocean Rd, SA coastline to Port Augusta/Flinders Ranges)
M - SA/NT (Central SA to Uluru/Alice Springs)
J - North QLD
J - North QLD

ITINERARY 2:

S - NT (Alice Springs/Uluru)
O - SA/NSW (Coober Pedy, Flinders Ranges, Mildura, Snowy Mtns)
N - East VIC (High Country, Wilsons Prom, Phillip Island)
D - TAS
J - West VIC/SA (Great Ocean Rd, SA Coastline, Nullabor)
F - WA (SA Border to Margaret River)
M - WA (Perth region/Coral Coast)
A - WA (Pilbara (Karijini NP) / Kimberleys (Broome, Bungle Bungles, El Questro))
M - NT (Top End)
J - North QLD
J - North QLD

Any advice you could give us would be very much appreciated!! TIA

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Ash H1 - Wednesday, Jul 29, 2015 at 11:50

Wednesday, Jul 29, 2015 at 11:50
Hi, we are planning our big lap too, leaving in Sept/Oct, we are going clockwise (from central western NSW) to avoid wet season up north. (april-oct I believe is the best time to be north during the dry season) so with your itinerary in mind I would choose #1 although in saying that the summer months (Dec-Feb) are supposed to be the best time to visit Tas, (if you don't mind the cold and are equipped for it maybe this isn't an issue) but for Tassie I'd choose #2 as we don't like the freezing cold (or the extreme heat either) I think Tassie would be lovely to see in the colder months whereas the north would be very difficult with the heat/ floods/ cyclones and whatever else so with that in mind I'd still choose #1. Whichever way you decide to go I'm sure you will have a great time, just do a bit of research on what area you would be in what month and what the weather will be like, also look into what things they may have on during those months (I hear that the northern states have a lot more on during the dry season but it can get very busy and touristy)

:)
AnswerID: 557504

Reply By: Kenell - Wednesday, Jul 29, 2015 at 13:44

Wednesday, Jul 29, 2015 at 13:44
Randa,
Your trip sounds fantastic. The munchkins particularly will get a lot from it I am sure. I have done the lap as well as most "bits" of it at various times. I have lived in North Qld, Tas and currently Vic as well a few spots in between. Tas is perfect in March although possibly not for swimming. It is the most settled time of year - little to no wind and clear days. I have been blown off the WA coast in Sept/Oct by the trade winds. I don't know how bad they are in Nov. Cairns can be wet any time as I discovered in June this year - their wettest on record. It can also be windy but July is probably the best time up there except that it is peak tourist season. Not sure about the Vic high country in Feb - that is our peak fire time but so much depends on the season and prevailing conditions. If you can be flexible and watch the weather you should be ok. November up there is also great. Many of the 4wd tracks are closed until Melb Cup weekend - after that most should be all go. Good luck with your planning.
AnswerID: 558730

Reply By: Bob Y. - Qld - Wednesday, Jul 29, 2015 at 13:55

Wednesday, Jul 29, 2015 at 13:55
I'd be inclined to favour #2, Randa, as the Kimberley area can be quite hot and humid in October. Always the chance of a heavy storm too, that might see you slightly inconvenienced.

The Alice would be warm too, but it's a dry heat, and nights cool down quickly.

Wise to be south of the Tropics by Christmas, as you have planned. Sounds like a good trip, either way.

Enjoy,
Bob

Seen it all, Done it all.
Can't remember most of it.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 558976

Reply By: allein m - Wednesday, Jul 29, 2015 at 14:31

Wednesday, Jul 29, 2015 at 14:31
seeing as your are in Mildura why not spend a couple of days in Broken Hill a very popular tourist destination

lake menindee and some fantastic artplaces to see

AnswerID: 560988

Reply By: Neil & Pauline - Wednesday, Jul 29, 2015 at 22:15

Wednesday, Jul 29, 2015 at 22:15
Not sure how you make my thoughts work so I just list what I know as best times to be where.
need to be heading south out of the Pilbara by the end of August early Sept . Think you are too late for Kimberlies In August. All the water has gone, lots been burnt and getting hot. May June best

Any time August through to April OK for SW WA just varies what you do and where. Can always find somewhere not too hot through summer. Northcliffe should be great October November where the fire was.

December is still winter in Tasmania Try Jan - Mar. Think about Tassie as another adventure for later. It is actually same size as mainland, just not flattened out. Actually there is a lot to see with little travel.

Just some of my thoughts, but then again we have been doing what you are planning for the last 10 years and not completed yet.

Just remember stop and smell the roses and enjoy rather than try and do everything. It is not about "doing the lap" rather enjoying the adventure. Leave some for another day.

Neil
AnswerID: 577318

Follow Up By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Jul 29, 2015 at 22:42

Wednesday, Jul 29, 2015 at 22:42
A wonderful post Neil :)

Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 852173

Follow Up By: Member - Broodie H3 - Thursday, Jul 30, 2015 at 14:48

Thursday, Jul 30, 2015 at 14:48
Neil,
great post my sentiments exactly:]
Broodie H3
Have car will travel

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 856199

Reply By: randa - Thursday, Jul 30, 2015 at 09:21

Thursday, Jul 30, 2015 at 09:21
Thanks for all of your advice! You've given me a lot to think about :)
AnswerID: 588112

Reply By: OBJ - Thursday, Jul 30, 2015 at 14:46

Thursday, Jul 30, 2015 at 14:46
In reality it doesn't actually matter which trip you take, you will have missed more than you will see, which is the excuse you use to be able to start all over again and see what you missed out on on the first trip. And when you get back from that, you can prepare for a third trip to see what you still haven't seen on the previous two trips ...

Oh, I could go on and on and on .......

Live in the moment and just enjoy where you are at the time, look forward to where you will be next .. and hurry back!!!!

OBJ
AnswerID: 588116

Reply By: Steve in Kakadu - Thursday, Jul 30, 2015 at 20:25

Thursday, Jul 30, 2015 at 20:25
September October November in the Top End and the Kimberly will be between 38 to 45 degrees + and not pleasant at all.

You need to do the Top End and the Kimberly in June July.

Steve.
AnswerID: 588142

Sponsored Links