Tom Groggin river crossing

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 13:07
ThreadID: 12001 Views:3487 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone been across the Murray at Tom Groggin campground in the last few days. I am interested to know how the water depth is & river bottom etc, as I have never been into this area before ?? I expect to be down that way, probably next week - barring any serious rain ......
And has anyone been up the Davies plain track recently ? Is it any problem ?
Im in an 80 T/Diesel, pulling a Trak Shak.........
Thankyou,
Rowdy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: John - Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 13:40

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 13:40
Hi Rowdey
I was up there over the weekend along with a few thousand others.
Murray Crossing was well used by all water depth was about 1/2 meter with rocky/pebble firm bottom. Check it yourself before crossing as is alway prudent.

Davies Plain along with alot of the other tracks have been graded since the bushfires last year and are in general good condition, very dusty though.

As to towing your trailor, I am probably the wrong person to ask about this as I feel you should leave your trailor at a lower easy acces point and enjoy the tracks with out it for the saftey of all concerned.
Please see earlier post by Wayne (NSW) re Snowy Dust bowl for my comments about trailors on these tracks.

Regards
John
VKS737 - Mobile 6352 (Selcall 6352)

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 54020

Follow Up By: GO_OFFROAD - Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 16:16

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 16:16
The crossing is easy,a s others have stated, and Davies Plain is an easy drive with camper trailer, I took 2 vehicles with cmapers through from Tom Groggin to Limestone creek, native cat track, tea pot creek track, haunted stream, bulltown spur, crooked river, wanagatta, to pikes flat, and craigs hut over xmas, and they toed the campers no worries through there.

If its wet, you may wish to re access though.

This pic was the depth afew weeks ago crossing from nsw to Vic, the entry is to right of shot, and as you do an arc, exit it to right of camera positiona s well.

[ View Image]
FollowupID: 315681

Follow Up By: GO_OFFROAD - Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 17:45

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 17:45
I should of added, leave the camper at native dog flat camp area, and do the cobbera's, theres a walk to the start of the murray from there, and some great views,you do a 740m altitude climb with one switcback up to indegoodbee track toward the lighthouse on indegoodbee track with great views over the snowy, to kozi, 360 deg virtually, as you are coming back toward the main rd.
FollowupID: 315697

Reply By: Aston - Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 13:51

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 13:51
We were there 2weeks ago and didn't have any trouble it was about 500mm deep,
from there headed further south.( the drought has certainly kept the river levels down) The Davies Plain track was alright a bit dusty broken up in some places, have lunch at the shack.

Cheers Aston
AnswerID: 54022

Reply By: Wayne (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 14:08

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 14:08
Rowdy,
Next week down in the dust bowl should not be as bad as over Easter. Crossing the Murray at Tom Groggin camping ground is not very deep. Follow the rocks in the shollow water in a big arc. Towing a trailer will be easy if you follow the Davis Plain track to your left when you exit the river. Following that track you will come across some good camp sites near creeks. You are better off setting up a base camp and doing day trips from there, a lot easer on the vehicle and the trackes plus you will get to see more of the high plains. A run up to Mt Pinnibar is a must. Take your time and enjoy the dust. The weather can change very quickley from very warm to very cold when the sun goes down.
Hema have a map of the area The High Country - Victoria which is very good. Have fun and enjoy yourself.

Wayne
AnswerID: 54024

Reply By: Wheelerdog - Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 15:58

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 15:58
I was up there 2 weeks ago, and agree with the other posters. to make a good trip out of it head from tom groggin over to benambra and omeo via charlies creek, mcartneys and lime stone track. bit of low range work but heaps of nice scenery and good camp spots. dust is pretty bad all the way and a few sharp rocks after davies plain hut.
AnswerID: 54033

Sponsored Links