Help please re. Murranji track / Buchanan

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 13:18
ThreadID: 12002 Views:6164 Replies:5 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi. Shortly we are heading up to the Kimberleys and are plannig the outward trip via Sturt Highway, Dunmarra, Buchanan Highway (Road?) to Top Springs, and so on.
There is a road/track that leaves the Sturt Highway some 50 km South of Dunmarra which joins the Buchanan Hwy via Murranji (the origonal Murranji Track?).
Does anyone know if the public can use the route via Murranji in the normal way, no pass or aggro. etc.?
Thanks,
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 15:55

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 15:55
I am not sure about access through Hayfield Station or Murranji. Yes that would be the old Murranji Stockroute but even if there was access I reckon it would be hard going through the Mulga scrub. You would probably cut your tyres to ribbons. I think that Hayfield Station is part of Newcastle Waters which used to belong to Kerry Packer. Access there is unlikely. Best thing is to ring the Daly Waters Police Station or the Elliot Police Station to ask the question. BTW it is the Stuart Highway not the Sturt.

Cheers
AnswerID: 54032

Follow Up By: Arkay - Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 16:15

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 16:15
Thanks Willem. Is there ANYTHING you don't know? Hah, yes, you don't know about the Lions Club Art Show at the Burnside (Adelaide Suburb)Town Hall second week-end in May. Free entry. WE won't be there as we will be heading you-know-where.
And yes, you are right about Stuart. Captain Charles wouldn't have minded though. I'm always afraid I'm going to get pinged out on this site (sight?), so I type as fast as I can and make heaps of blues. It's all a matter of a, Ay?
Thanks anyway Willem. We'll play it safe & go via Dunmarra.
FollowupID: 315680

Follow Up By: Willem - Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 16:34

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 16:34
No worries Arkay....I spent a considerable time of my life in the Territory and got to know the lie of the land...so to speak. Last time I was in Top Springs they had a very unusualy barrier protection around the till in the bar. It was a reo mesh with the squares cut out and the pointy bits sharpened so there was no leaning over the counter and grabbing of the takings. Its been a few years now but I doubt if things have changed. Enjoy the country and make an effort to visit Gregory NP on your way past.

Cheers
FollowupID: 315683

Follow Up By: RussellV - Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 16:57

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 16:57
Yes - Can recommend Gregory NP, It was one of the highlights of our trip to the kimberley and it was "on the way". Watch the tyres though as the track is pretty harsh on them.

Cheers

Russell
FollowupID: 315686

Follow Up By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 16:57

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 16:57
John & Val Dwyer have owned Hatfield since 1979, I was just reading about them in the current RM Williams mag.
FollowupID: 315687

Follow Up By: Willem - Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 17:24

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 17:24
There you go Bob......was it Hatfied or Hayfield as I was referring to the latter...Probably a typo. Anyway I wasn't sure of just how much land Kerry Packer owned out there.

Regards
FollowupID: 315691

Follow Up By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 17:34

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 17:34
Just checked , Hayfield it is
FollowupID: 315869

Reply By: Member - Royce- Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 19:34

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 19:34
The Buchanan Hwy about 6 years ago [the part we travelled] was basically a couple of well worn wheel tracks. Did it okay in a Subaru towing and off road trailer though.
AnswerID: 54064

Reply By: sean - Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 20:34

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 20:34
The Murranji track gained my interest after reading a little on Nat Buchanan. I dont believe it is accessible but I hope I am wrong.

There is only a school at Newcastle Waters (Except for Newcastle Waters Station). Daly Waters is too far north to be of any relevance.

Best bet would be to try the Newcastle Waters Station and the NT Gov heritige section as these people are promoting heritage areas (eg. Old Ghan Route) and they have obviously been out there.

Good luck and let us know how you go.

http://www.lpe.nt.gov.au/heritage/register/list/default.htm

Sean
AnswerID: 54072

Reply By: Member - Timothy N (NSW) - Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 21:25

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 21:25
Arkay. Like Royce said, a while back the Buchanan Hwy was only a couple of wheel tracks. Got a bit of a shock two years ago coming home from the CSR when it seemed to be a lot better, good wide graded dirt. Reason? A little thing called the Alice to Darwin Railway!! About 50km west of Dunmarra was a bloody city!(for the workers) I wondered at the time what old Nat Buchanan would have thought. It should have quietened down a bit now though. Have a good trip. Tim.
AnswerID: 54085

Reply By: Arkay - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 09:43

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 09:43
Thanks all for the replies. What with the rutted 2 wheel tracks and grid-style protectors at servos/pubs, we are now afraid to bush camp anymore and may become a wuss and go via Katherine and the Victoria Highway. Sell the 4WD and off-road camper and buy one of those V8 Adventras and a tandem axle 18ft airconditioned Jayco. Just kidding. Genuine thanks for the info in the above replies. Starting to get excited about the trip and retirement now. If you never hear from me again after 01/05/04 check the Buchanan Highway for dead Holden Jackaroo (colour blue, ExploreOz sticker).
AnswerID: 54143

Sponsored Links