The air is full of smoke.. response to a couple

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 19:28
ThreadID: 12011 Views:1827 Replies:4 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Reduction burns reduce the amount of fuel on the forest floor long term, meaning a true bushfire will pass quicker, with less heat, meaning faster recovery and re growth after a fire.
……… and more fuel for the next or following year.

If you look at where the bush was most dense, some areas still havent seem regrowth yet, after the last fires, and other areas the fires skipped through are coming on well.

……..yes a really big burn will damage the trees and ground seed resource for longer than a cool burn

At least then, if fires dont burn as hot, some old growth forrests may be saved by the passing fire not being hot enough to kill everything as it burns through.

…… few old growth forests are killed by bushfire. Some of the ‘cool’ burns can get very hot too.

Reduction burning has been a natural thing for alot longer than we have been here.

…. “reduction burning” by definition is not natural. It has only been here since we have been here. Oh.. yeah I suppose Aborigines are not us. There is a theory that aboriginals changed the natural structure of Oz with their burning. Up north, the burns are definitely designed to make grasslands out of bush

Your quote, "yet again we have "fuel reduction burns" ... I reckon most of them are just bushfires.", what does this mean, a fuel reduction burn is a burn planned over a long period of time.

…very few fuel reduction burns are planned over a ‘long period of time’. My experience is a few of the blokes at the local CFA decide on a good spot and have a go… perhaps 3 weeks planning time or more likely a local farmer asks them to burn off a bit of roadside for him.
The DSE on the other hand are choosing wherever they can to burn so that they don’t cop any more flack as the big fires hit. [yep… I’m active in my local CFA and have worked on many strike teams]

They are used by fire fighters as a tool to reduce the amount of available fuel on the ground, for the up-coming fire seasons. While a "bushfire" or wildfire is un-planned & un-wanted.

…… but my point is that it doesn’t work…… visit the site one or two years later. Check it out for yourself…… I [we] have locally.

Your quote, "several got away from the authorities last week", in what state & where abouts did this happen, some details would be nice, because without details, what your saying shouldn't be believed.

….. hmmm got me there… Victoria Near Lakes Entrance [can’t remember name] and behind Gembrook I think. Someone might set me straight…. Or maybe behind Erika…. I’ll make a note next time I stir up the possums.

Your quote "they polute the atmosphere", the amount of pollution a controlled hazard reduction puts into the atmosphere, in the over-all scheme of things would be tiny,

…. I LOL… go out this evening. My wife is unable to. She suffers from asthma. The air is full of particles. It AIN’T TINY!

& I think that if you are truly that concerned about the atmosphere then you should trade in the landcruiser & purchase a motor bike.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: GO_OFFROAD - Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 19:38

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 19:38
I guess lightening strikes put themselves out before man arrived, or even after if burning isnt natural???????

The reduction of fuel on a regular basis reduces the heat of a fire making regrowth more prevolant, and a wild fire more fightable.

Would seem you have an issue with the smoke causing health issues than anything else, have you tried moving away from where fires can be?
AnswerID: 54065

Follow Up By: Member - Royce- Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 21:19

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 21:19
My point is that that is the theory. Sadly most of the burns [I reckon] are just a guesture. They are okay, but just take place when and where manageable by weather, opportunity, access etc. Better resources and planning both in prevention and fighting the fire is better. You are right. Reduction of fuel on a regular basis to stop the spread of fire makes sense. Burning patches at this time of the year doesn't do much. I don't think you meant to say that the regrowth was more prevalent did you? The thing is, burning does encourage growth. Cool burns also leave a lot of dead wood behind and plenty of coals to burn again. Okay, I started or stirred up the discussion. The fact is it's a complex thing, managing fire. Burn offs are an easy way to show that something is being done. It's pretty cheap too.
FollowupID: 315734

Follow Up By: Member - Royce- Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 21:20

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 21:20
PS.. move where? Haven't you got smoke there?
FollowupID: 315735

Follow Up By: GO_OFFROAD - Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 22:55

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 22:55
So you reckon its not good...well , thats great, making all those assumptions on what might, or might not be good, but it still doesnt answer how the lightening strikes put themselves out before we got here......

The big problem is, who wants to be the person in charge of the burn, who wants responsibility for a controlled burn, and rely on the weather not to make it get out of control....

But of course if we burned it more often, the burn to control the fuel would be much easier.
FollowupID: 315759

Reply By: sean - Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 20:09

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 20:09
you say " Up north, the burns are definitely designed to make grasslands out of bush"

If it was that easy then whole of the topend would be grasslands.

I live up north and the annual fires will never make grassland out of the bush. Not all controlled burns are the same. There are cool burns and man made bushfires. The hotter the burn the more damage to the trees that cant take heat.

Victoria lost large areas of forest in recent years due to poor management.

Sean

AnswerID: 54068

Follow Up By: Member - Royce- Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 21:14

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 21:14
You're right, it doesn't work permentantly, just annually. I agree with you though.
FollowupID: 315733

Reply By: Willem - Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 22:47

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 22:47
When I arrived in the Territory in the late '60s I used to marvel at the early dry season grass fires and how quickly the burned and how quickly the regrowth came and how the whole process renewed itself every year. In the course of 30 years the population base of the Top End tripled and the fires became more and more frequent and life for me as an asthmatic became intolerable. That and the heat finally got to me and we moved away but the damage to my lungs had been done. I am now very susceptible to smoke inhalation that triggers off an asthma attack and I have to manage my medication. I tried the Queensland coast for a while but the annual sugar cane burnoffs got to me as well. I now live in country South Australia where there is still a risk of fires but they are few and far between. Here the house dust gets me....I can't win.

I don't know if there is an answer to Australia's bush fire menace. The majority of our plant life such as eucalypts and even spinifex has a high oil content which burns fiercely when ignited fuelling the fires even more. Some fires start by spontaneous combustion, others by lightning strikes and then the worst factor, by arsonists who get sadistic pleasure in lighting fires.

Pollution by fires and exhaust gases in the atmosphere cause harm everywhere. But fires have been burning on this planet for how long?.............500,000 years?

I don't think there is an answer.

Cheers

AnswerID: 54105

Reply By: ianmc - Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 22:48

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 22:48
M anaged fuel reduction burns?? Well yes, the one lit by the NRE (Dept of name change) in the Grampians a few short summers ago got right out of hand and
went close to wiping out Halls Gap, not only a tourist trap but a fire trap.There have been others including those by farmers on days of hot wind etc. Some are regular offenders.

Some burns certainly regenerate seedling growth in some unique species
but then create an uncovered low highly volatile ground cover.

As for smoke, try driving thru the Wimmera when the croppers are doing a stubble burn-off with no wind. Its suffrance time for the asthmatics & a controversial issue.
Some dont do it & dont cultivate, they direct drill seed & leave the mulch on ground which in theory stops the top soil ending up in Collins St first gale!
AnswerID: 54106

Sponsored Links