Birdsville Accomodation and 134A Gas

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 20:34
ThreadID: 12015 Views:1874 Replies:3 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,
as posted we are back from a great time away and the highlight was several days spent in and around Birdsville with excellent hospitality supplied by Ruth and Ian, so if you find yourself in the area and you need somewhere to stay, a great cafe meal and the best cappuccino in oz, then I am sure you will be welcomed as we were. Bravo Ruth!!!
The only problem encounted on the trip was an a/c pipe joint vibrated loose on the way to Big Red and let the gas escape. I am going to change the gas this time to 134A as the FR12 that I have been putting in for the last couple of services is hard to find and expensive. I could have gotten the gas replaced in birdsville if it was 134A. This also applies in many outback towns and rural centres so hence the change in case it happens some time in the future. What I am looking for is profesional no bull advice from someone in the know on what is needed to be done to the system of an 89 HJ61 to allow the change of gas . I believe that the oil needs to be changed to be compatable and the seals in all joins and of course a new drier, is there anyhting else?

Cheers
Steve
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Eskimo - Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 21:30

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 21:30
all the old mineral oil has to be removed as it will not mix with r134a and hence will not return to the compressor. Easy job but costly!
dont try the propane mixtures as these can be a very serious explosion problem...i have seen the result of these refrigerants being exposed to a spark at the wrong the time.

a good alternative would be sp34e (if one didnt want to change the oil) but i reckon you'll have trouble finding someone within the automobile airconditioning industry that could do it. Try a good refrigeration or airconditioning co who may be able to help.
AnswerID: 54088

Follow Up By: Willem - Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 22:19

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 22:19
Richard...I though that you could do that? You and Pesty do not live too far apart according to my spy codes...maybe you can help out???? Or am I shooting off at the mouth...hahahaha

Cheers
FollowupID: 315747

Follow Up By: Member - Eskimo - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 07:39

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 07:39
I could do it bit I'm not really set up to do automotive airconditioning..and besides I hate it!!!

But Steve if you want need a contact I can supply you with brotherinlaws phone no...dunno if he has sp34 but if he doesnt i can give him some for your job
FollowupID: 315779

Reply By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 23:04

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 23:04
Hey Pesty, I can give you some professional advice - you are a dirty dobber rat fink! (no, that's not the advice but I just remembered a post earlier tonight so I'm not going to give you advice now), hmmmmm, maybe I will.
AnswerID: 54112

Follow Up By: Pesty - Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 23:21

Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 23:21
Im not keeping you up tonight am I while I am waiting for some of your proffessional advice, hmmmmmm!
FollowupID: 315766

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 07:29

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 07:29
Still up because Ron Moon and his mob are still driving round and round thebusy campsite - why couldn't they walk to the Pub and then the first of his lot went at 3:45 a.m. and then 3 more at 4:45 a.m. (probably his cooks who do the gourmet 5 star meals) now I'm up because I have to be - gumble grumble. I knew you'd still be up - I was trying to do some bookwork but due to the very long weekend the bank wasn't as up to date with their bookkeeping as I was. You must speak to Roachie about my complaint!!!
FollowupID: 315777

Reply By: fourstall2000 - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 09:16

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 09:16
Your R12 will require to be removed and also the oil,system flushed and a compatible oil refilled (wise to have leak dye added also).
All hoses should be inspected and replaced if cracked or perished.
As your system would be only fitted with a bursting disc,youwould be required to fit high and low pressure switches.
As a new drier would be required these switches would be installed at the same time.
Once the above works were carried out the system should be fully evacuated and charged with the new 134A refrigerant.
However their are good alternatives available other than the LPG derived substitutes mentioned by others.
BOC sells such a product,and I suggest you check with them as it is a much cheaper alternative. (some old converted systems have reduced capacity and tend to loose 134a)
Good luck
AnswerID: 54138

Sponsored Links