Bunyip State Park - Gembrook

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 22:14
ThreadID: 12020 Views:2228 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Just got back from a few days camping up at Bunyip. Having not been there for a few years we weren't sure if our memories were playing tricks, but the tracks didn't seem to be as challenging as previously. However we still managed to have a bit of fun and found a few great tracks under the power lines. However we caught up with the ranger the next morning, only to find out that all the tracks near the powerlines are out of bounds, and we could have been fined. Would have been nice to have had some signs up and even on the parks website nothing was mentioned. We also asked about the state of the tracks as they seemed easier and they are being graded, specifically to drive the 4 wheel drivers out of the park along with the dirt bikes, which is a real shame, as this park used to be a great weekender, close to home for a bit of recreational fun. He also told us that most of the tracks in the south of the park would be closed come June with the rain. Again, we were sure that we had been up there after June with many of the tracks available. It's a real shame and seems to be a sign of the future that 4 wheel drives are being driven out, so to speak. Another point, we have a camper trailer, and all the designated camping spots had concrete posts, making it impossible to take the camper trailer in, again not mentioned on the website that the area was unsuitable for camper trailers. I guess a bit more homework was needed. I'm glad we didn't drive hours and hours to find a campsite that was unsuitable. All in all though, a good weekend, even if a little tame, and we broke the law!! Hope everyone had a happy and safe easter.
Nino & Kerry
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Rick Blaine - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 11:30

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 11:30
sounds like you had a nice weekend at Gembrook.... but not a mention of Puffing Billy... shame thats a great trip from Belgrave....
AnswerID: 54154

Reply By: rooooboy - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 17:08

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 17:08
Me and my friends went to Bunyip state forest on Sunday and after all the heavy rain, some on the Tracks were made near impossible to complete! These tracks are 2wd in the dry, but in the wet its much more fun!

I agree about the need for signs under the power lines, we did the same but did not run into the ranger!

Not all the tracks are closed after june! there are still plenty of challenging tracks open in the wet!!!!

AnswerID: 56032

Follow Up By: Nino & Kerry (VIC) - Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 18:56

Monday, Apr 26, 2004 at 18:56
Glad to hear you had more fun than us Rooboy. Things definitely spice up after some rain, so we might take another trip down there. But the ones under the powerlines are the best by far, but it just comes down to whether you want to risk running into the ranger! Murrundindi (? spelling) is also a really good one, and has some really challenging tracks in the dry, so after a good downpour, I shudder to think what they'd be like. They seem to keep a lot more tracks open during the June-November period though than Gembrook. We did Downy Spur track two weekends ago and it was very wet then, really challenging day.
FollowupID: 317894

Sponsored Links