So who wants to come for a paddle?

Submitted: Tuesday, Apr 13, 2004 at 23:55
ThreadID: 12022 Views:2107 Replies:9 FollowUps:9
This Thread has been Archived
At lake Eyre, just saw the news what a pair of drongoes. Saw shots of them knee deep in mud with canoes firmly stuck and a tent set up in the mud as well, hope they had an uncomfortable night.

They should definitely be charged a nuisance fine.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bruce (San Diego) - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 00:02

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 00:02
Figured that they were after the "darwin" award for stupidity

Stranded canoeists face fines
By Steve Larkin and Lauren Ahwan
April 13, 2004

TWO adventurers who were stranded on Lake Eyre face $1,000 fines after being rescued by a media helicopter today.

The pair made frontpage news after refusing rescue.

Ben Kozel, 30, and Tim Jarvis, 35, were plucked from the Lake Eyre quagmire late today after refusing police help.

The pair are believed to have been without the required permits to enter the area, 150km north-west of William Creek in South Australia's far north, and face fines from SA's Environment and Heritage Department.

"They could receive an expiation notice and fines ranging from $160 through to a maximum of $1,000," the department's regional conservator John Watkins said today.

"It's too early to say what action, if any, will be taken against them until we talk to them but we want to confirm whether they had a permit or not."

Kozel and Jarvis had planned to canoe down Warburton Creek, into the huge Lake Eyre and finish on the lake's south-western shores.

The famous lake - at 7,884 square kilometres, Australia's largest - is usually parched but last month received a large amount of rainfall after a downpour originating in Queensland.

The dry lake has filled to capacity just three times in 150 years.

As Kovel and Jarvis attempted to cross the lake on Sunday, water levels dropped until the water evaporated and their canoes became stuck in the mud.

The adventurers initially asked to be rescued by police and an operation was planned for yesterday morning, but the rescue was called off when the pair decided to try and make their own way out, using skis.

Late today, the pair were plucked off the saltpan by a Channel Seven helicopter.

"Whether we could get down the creek was always an unknown," Kovel told Channel Seven.

"If we got to the mouth of the Warburton Creek and we could go no further then we get out and walk - that was the plan."

Mr Watkins said the canoeists appeared well prepared for their trip but came unstuck by not heeding advice from locals about the dangers and likelihood they would become stranded.

When rescued, Kovel and Jarvis had only 13 litres of water left to see them through temperatures of 40 degrees Celsius.

They had earlier tried to walk across the lake pulling a box that contained water, a tent and some food. Oodnadatta Police Sergeant Jeff Page today called for regulations to prevent similar situations in the future.

"I would probably be encouraging them (SA National Parks and Wildlife Service) to perhaps set some guidelines about what can and can't be done," Sgt Page said.

AAP

AnswerID: 54122

Reply By: Willem - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 06:36

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 06:36
No doubt the canoes and tents will become salt encrusted relics because by the time they are able to go back and collect their junk it will be u/s

Whereas Lake Gairdner is firm enough to drive vehicles on 99.9% of salt lakes in Oz are very tricky and should not be messed with. Many years ago I was advised that camels walk around salt lakes and never cross them. In a momentary lapse of concentration I drove over a small corner of a salt lake in the Simpson Desert and got very close to becoming a statistic. Lesson learned.

Methinks a hefty fine for disturbing the lake should be applied to these blokes.

AnswerID: 54127

Reply By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 07:36

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 07:36
I can't believe this. Have I or have I not been telling everyone (who listens on here anyway) that the water would not cover Lake Eyre or fill it. The media should take some of the blame for this because of the beat up they made of it. Daily I've had to disappoint people by explaining to them either in person or on the phone that they would be unable to see the water from the ground. Wish people would take notice of what locals say. It's just on our local ABC news now - ask these questions, what was the Channel 7 helicopter doing there? How much did it cost the Channel 7 helicopter? Will the two now sell their story to Channel 7 (supposedly to cover the costs of the rescue)? Will they sell their book rights to Women's Weekly?
AnswerID: 54128

Follow Up By: Davoe - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 12:20

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 12:20
Did the water actually dry up or was it pushed by wind to other parts of the lake as can happen?
FollowupID: 315816

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 16:45

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 16:45
The pilots who fly over the Lake on a regular basis reported that at the most only the top 1/8th was covered with less than a few inches of water. The temperature here for the last week or so has been about 37so think about evaporation. Even last week before Easter, Pesty reported that at Kalamurina when they were in there the water had dropped there by 12 feet in four days.
FollowupID: 315856

Reply By: Baz (NSW) - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 08:32

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 08:32
So you could say that after the water dried up, all that was left were two drips.

Baz.
AnswerID: 54134

Reply By: barryG - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 15:32

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 15:32
In defence of Ben Kozel, he has had a far more exciting life than any of the nimby's on here having a good old fashion whinge.
Canoeing down two out of 4 of the largest rivers in the world is nothing to be laughed at.

Some of you want the whole world covered in safety rails... or at least the latest high tech 4x4 equiped to the max before driving down a country lane.

Its the adventurer attitude that opened up this country.
And in this particular case, they were never in real danger, and ch 7 picked up the rescue tab.

Now, back to your knitting.
AnswerID: 54185

Follow Up By: Slammin - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 16:02

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 16:02
Sorry Barry but I fail to see where your defence of them is?

Canoeing down Warburton Creek now that is something to laugh at. Yep Channel 7 got em out, reportedly against their wishes but it's their attitude and your support that encourages dills like these to stuff up the weekend of hardworking people who have better things to do or would rather just be having a nice quiet one, ie the local constabulary etc.

In my backyard every year there is at least 2 cases of idiots who think they are adventurers trying to climb Mt Sonder (NT) from the nth side. They lose their way, hurt themselves or worse. Then there are the fools without permits who figure they are invincible good example last year was motorbike so called adventurer exploring on private property ill prepared, no prior research, no communications equip, food and minimal water, broke his leg and would have died if the station owner hadn't decided to check the back bore that month. NIMBY you better beleive it.

I fail to see what these so called adventurers oen up. or hope to acheive other than selling the story to the likes of channel seven.

Yes there are adventurers out there who are adequately prepared, are advised by locals and don't need help unless tragedy happens but these 2 certainly didn't follow the basics of commonsense.

The bastard in me says they should've got a Darwin Award like the bloke who jogged cross the salt pan. I guess channel 7 robbed them of it.
FollowupID: 315852

Follow Up By: pathfinder - Thursday, Apr 15, 2004 at 13:44

Thursday, Apr 15, 2004 at 13:44
totally agree with you bazza - some people need to get out of the comfort of their aircon 4WDs now and again...or at least not be so critical of others that do and have a go at doing something more adventurous than watching life through tv like most of the Australian population seem to...
FollowupID: 316010

Reply By: REX - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 19:34

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 19:34
what gets me is we can spend thousands of dollars plucking frogs from the middle of the ocean give them a pat on the back and say we will fix the bill see you next time.
yet when it comes to our own we call them drongos and send them the bill plus a fine yet we are the ones paying taxes.????????????? i dont get it
AnswerID: 54234

Follow Up By: Pesty - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 19:51

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 19:51
Hi rex
Are you the rex we ran into in Murray sunset a few weeks ago with mitsi.
I agree with you to a point , helping those who get into trouble by accident, but these adventuers were suposedly told by 3 local sources NOT to try it and they defied all advice, I hope channel 7 had to dig deep to pay for the exercise!

Cheers Steve
FollowupID: 315889

Follow Up By: Slammin - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 21:14

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 21:14
They frogs you speak of should definately been sent the bill as well.

The thing is that these 2 blokes in Lake Eyre agreed that they should foot the bill.
FollowupID: 315910

Follow Up By: REX - Thursday, Apr 15, 2004 at 10:27

Thursday, Apr 15, 2004 at 10:27
yep the same rex pulled into hatta store left my laptop on drained my battery dead cell in the battery went .new battery and it gets better on the way home, adelaidedone a head gasket at tailembend took me a while to pull it all down and fix it .
of to the river this week just past hatta time for a holiday i think, hope nothing goes wrong????
FollowupID: 315982

Reply By: Member - StevenL - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 19:59

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 19:59
What is the fuss????

They said they did not need rescue so leave them alone. The only assistance that seem to be required was a drop of a UHF when thier sat phone went on the fritz. I am sure they appreciate that but from all I've seen they seem to have been adequetely prepared and were in little danger.

They were probably at no more risk than half the people who do the simpson or CSR each year and don't prepare or pack properly. I think it was all a media beat up because it was a little out of the ordinary. Once it was initially repoted then the various media as usual just had to outdo each other to build up the story.

From all I see they are reasonably seasoned adventurous souls who at least had a support team and should be left to get on with it. It is the unprepared idiots that really need rescuing that stuff it up for everyone else.

Like someone else said, pour your scorn on some of the real dumasses that go to antarctica in a trailer sailer or try and WALK across a desert with a 5 litre water bottle and no backup.

Just my opinion, yours may be different!

Steven
AnswerID: 54240

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 20:38

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 20:38
Well said, Steven.
FollowupID: 315900

Reply By: Crackles - Thursday, Apr 15, 2004 at 00:22

Thursday, Apr 15, 2004 at 00:22
It's a fine line being an adventurer. If they had made it, they would have been legends but as they didn't now they are fools. I'm shure there were a few 'Local' Sherpa's telling Edmond Hillary not to climb Everest. (glad he didn't listen to them)
I took the 400 KM return boat trip into the lake last time the Warburton was flowing and it was brilliant. Would recomend the trip highly. Just don't get stuck in the mud or there will be a fools thread with your name on it. Craig...........
AnswerID: 54300

Reply By: Member - Bradley- Thursday, Apr 15, 2004 at 10:18

Thursday, Apr 15, 2004 at 10:18
Yeah great adventurers, they had a support vehicle ready to pick em up, but apparently they were 400k away or so.
I'm sure i saw one of the clowns on a doco on the tele the other week, tried to walk across the frozen pack ice at the south pole, got stuck, no adequate rescue plans, no rescue insurance, a lot of people (private & military) and countries inconvenienced and a hefty bill.
must have more money than sense these blokes. and obviously haven't learnt from previous stuff ups.
Channel 7 probably just wanted the exclusive pictures etc.

Jackass ...............
AnswerID: 54334

Follow Up By: barryG - Friday, Apr 16, 2004 at 13:38

Friday, Apr 16, 2004 at 13:38
I expected more from a forum like this.

I think the bloke from National Geographic summed it up perfectly:

"I wish I was out there with them instead of listening to the whining from people who seem to think an adventurous life should stop at finding a new place to have a cappuccino."

FollowupID: 316172

Sponsored Links