petrol lag/hard starting in Dual fuel Tojo 60....

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 20:17
ThreadID: 12050 Views:1435 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
G'day troops.

Now, i know that a petrol lag is a common thing in old 'dual fuel's' , especially when it tends 2 be more tuned 2 gas. My mechanic informed me that its relatively tuned well to both fuels ( ..possible? ).

Still, my major problem ( besides a little lag time before the accelerator kicks in ) is that it is as stubborn as a mule for starting on petrol. it simply will almost never do it! just like sculling a fosters, doesnt really to happen.

ive heard about the fact that the carby gets a little dry & dirty, which aids the lag etc, but should i consider the petrol pump? I'm assuming this is a mechanical one in the FJ60 right? i hear talk that its wiser 2 go for a electronic one eh?

any ideas guys would b a gem.

huru & cheers

Rowen
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: rolande- Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 21:26

Wednesday, Apr 14, 2004 at 21:26
Had several gas vehicles before swapping to diesel, covered about 300,000 kms in them. Secret was always to stick with the run on petrol for 1 hour per week rule. Had carby rebuilds on both, lack of lubrication of seals, etc due to gas being so dry. May pay to check this first before looking elsewhere.
Rolande
AnswerID: 54263

Reply By: tour boy - Thursday, Apr 15, 2004 at 07:29

Thursday, Apr 15, 2004 at 07:29
G'day I'm running an 88 sahara on dual fuel and have an electronic pump. All I have to do is turn on the ignition and wait about 5 seconds or until I hear the pump start to labour, give the throttle 1 pump and it starts instantly hot or cold. Make sure that when you wire up the pump, it is deactivated when on lpg or you will burn out the pump. My mechanical pump is not connected at all.

When I know I'm not going to use the vehicle for a day or so or every 2 weeks, I switch it over to petrol, run it briefly and then let it sit whilst not being used with a carby full of petrol. No problems yet. Motor done 356000km and never had the head off or anything other than water pump and starter motor. Still not burning any oil. Just a rear main leak.
hope this helps.
Dave.
AnswerID: 54307

Sponsored Links