Simpson Desert Crossing - Early Planning

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 15, 2004 at 15:20
ThreadID: 12075 Views:1455 Replies:3 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi all,

I'm currently planning a Simpson Desert Crossing to coincide with the Birdsville Races. The plan so far is;

Monday 30th August - Depart from Dalhouise Springs and head for Purnie Bore along the French Line and camp somewhere near Purnie Bore

Tuesday 31st August - Head towards Poeppel Corner and Camp nearby

Wednesday 1st September - Head towards Birdsville via Big Red and set up camp in Birdsville.

Feedback would be appreciated on the plan, is this enough time etc ?

Thanks in advance
Phil P
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Crackles - Thursday, Apr 15, 2004 at 17:22

Thursday, Apr 15, 2004 at 17:22
Phil. The trip accross can normally be done in 3 days comfortably but your camps are not well spaced. After leaving Dalhousie you would normally get to Purnie Bore around morning tea so after spending an hour looking around the wetlands an achievable camp would be past the Colson Trk. Day 2 I'd suggest stopping short of Poeppel Cnr as there are nice camps with timber around the the clay pans and you avoid the need for a Queensland camping permit.
Poeppels is often windblown, eroded and wood is being stripped in the area. This leaves day 3 and with an hour at Big Red you can usually get to Birdsville by 4.30.
4 days would make the trip alot easier and give more time for looking at the desert you've come to see. Cheers Craig..........................
AnswerID: 54394

Follow Up By: Member - Stephen (WA) - Friday, Apr 16, 2004 at 00:12

Friday, Apr 16, 2004 at 00:12
Wot Craig said.
VKS737 - Mobile 2735

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 316140

Reply By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Thursday, Apr 15, 2004 at 17:29

Thursday, Apr 15, 2004 at 17:29
Craigs pretty right except take your own wood as you aren't allowed to take wood from a Park as the kritters need it for somewhere to live.
AnswerID: 54395

Reply By: Member - Tom (NT) - Thursday, Apr 15, 2004 at 17:35

Thursday, Apr 15, 2004 at 17:35
I agree with craig.
But I think you will find that you are allowed to collect wood from the ground out there. Unless it has changed recently. There was heaps of wood along the way but make sure you get wood for dalhousie well before as there is none around there at all.
Tom
AnswerID: 54397

Follow Up By: Member- Peter & Mrs Peter, Lez - Thursday, Apr 15, 2004 at 19:14

Thursday, Apr 15, 2004 at 19:14
You are NOT ALLOWED to collect wood aroujd Dalhousie. There is an area well before Dalhousie that is a designated wood collection area. You can only collect wood from here. I dont think it is necessary to gather and burn wood in the Desert Region anyway, as said before it provides habitat in a very harsh environment for the kritters.
Cheers Peter
FollowupID: 316049

Sponsored Links