Nissan Patrol - Advice on Electrical Problems Required

Submitted: Friday, Apr 16, 2004 at 18:47
ThreadID: 12116 Views:4365 Replies:4 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

I presently have a problem with my Nissan patrol 3.0TD (2 months old).

I am not looking to put rubbish on anyone mentioned below, just trying to figure out the cause of the problem to get it fixed.

I have had a dual battery system installed by a well known 4x4 industry supplier (no names given as they are doing the correct thing by trying to resolve).

The vehicle had only done approx 1000kms.

On the night of the dual battery installation, some of the electrics failed on the vehicle, ie dash lights and instrumentation, windows, central locking.

I returned the vehicle to the intaller the next day, who found that a fuse had blown, replaced the fuse and all was working again.

Since the above problem occured, I have a situation where I have a terrible smell in the vehicle (I was told it is a diesel smell) and the fuel economy has dropped to about 20 litres per 100kms.

I did a search on previous posts relating to poor fuel economy, and it was suggested that it could be the air flow sensor. I checked this connection on the air intake, and it is connected.

Could anyone else be able to assist with what the cause of the poor fuel economy could be.

The 4x4 supplier is presently not sure what the problem could be, but will take the car to check over the vehicle next week.

Would anyone have any advice or ideas on what the cause of the problem could be?

All advice / suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Many Thanks

TonyG
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Martyn (WA) - Friday, Apr 16, 2004 at 20:02

Friday, Apr 16, 2004 at 20:02
Tony,
If it's a reputable installer I'm sure they know the tricks but when I went to Nissan and asked about the electrical side of things it's very important to have a separate earth wire running from the new battery to the chassis because the new Nissans have the body work insulated from the chassis, well that's what I've been told. Usually it effects the sub tank transfer pump first, then the engine warning light comes on, you have to get the computer reset as well, this is what the "Nissan" guy told me. Don't know if this will help but it's something I found out.
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 54589

Reply By: Member Eric - Friday, Apr 16, 2004 at 20:31

Friday, Apr 16, 2004 at 20:31
Well fuses dont blow for no reason , obviously someone shorted a wire when fitting your dual batteries , If it has spiked any computers , its a problem , The smell , well . I would make sure they never fitted a fuse largher that it should have, it can start melting wires ect , Get it looked at by some other than the instaler
AnswerID: 54595

Follow Up By: Member - TonyG (NSW) - Friday, Apr 16, 2004 at 21:19

Friday, Apr 16, 2004 at 21:19
Hi Eric,

I thought I should give them 1st option to look at & repair before I took it back to the nissan dealer.
FollowupID: 316268

Follow Up By: Member Eric - Friday, Apr 16, 2004 at 21:36

Friday, Apr 16, 2004 at 21:36
I am all for a second chance , but i would get a second opinion , just to make sue nothing is getting hidden . Last thing you want is problems in the future ,

Keep us posted with how you go
FollowupID: 316276

Reply By: Glenn D - Friday, Apr 16, 2004 at 21:20

Friday, Apr 16, 2004 at 21:20
HI Tony,
I also have a 3.0 lt Patrol. In the Gregorys manual it has an extensive self test for the computer and engine components ( electrical ) . You could confirm what is unserviceable before going back to them. Something would have to have been shorted for the fuse to blow !
Glenn.
AnswerID: 54612

Reply By: Eric Experience. - Friday, Apr 16, 2004 at 23:08

Friday, Apr 16, 2004 at 23:08
Tony.
Sounds like another example of electrical work being done by an untrianed person.
The smell has my alarm bells ringing, if the alternator has been tampered with it may be over heating, check if the alternator is hot, if it is you nead the services of a properly trianed auto elec plus a new alternator paid for by the original installer.
Eric.
AnswerID: 54642

Sponsored Links