Road Condition

Submitted: Saturday, Apr 17, 2004 at 18:32
ThreadID: 12140 Views:1631 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone up to date info on the road from Normanton via the Burke developmental road to Dunbar and then direct to Musgrave road house. We will be towing a Camper trailer and wonder if this track is reasonable.
Thans
T C
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Bruce (San Diego) - Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 00:00

Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 00:00
Terry,

Ron Moon has trek notes for this trip,

235 km which takes 8-10 hours

"However, this route is often flooded and impassablefrom early in the wet season to well after the wet has finished"

Last September we did Normanton to Musgrave via the Burke development road but went as far as Gamboola and headed north there up through Kimba Station, Alice River goldfields and then joined up with the track you refer to just before Dixie Station. This track is OK and could take a trailer easily but as it was pretty late in the season there were large patches of bull dust. All the rivers and creeks were pretty dry that late in the season.

Its a pretty long run (we did just over 700k's) between fuel ar Kurumba and Musgrave. We didn't see anyone from Gamboola to New Dixie Station.
AnswerID: 54769

Reply By: philmack - Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 19:17

Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 19:17
Hi Have just come back from Normanton last week, The Burke Devel Rd is open all the way some parts are a little narrow, be aware that road trains, 3-4 trailers long travel this road and if you meet them on one lane section you will have to get off the road completely as there will not move off the road. I always pull over and stop, better that than a broken windscreen or worse. I would check with Normanton police for road conditions between Normanton and Dunbar, there has been quite a lot of rain up there over the last two months, and this road was closed. Dunbar to Musgrave road house I am not sure but the Normanton police may be able to give you some more info (47451133). Good travelling.
Philip Mackness
AnswerID: 54849

Sponsored Links