lsd in front diff

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 08:52
ThreadID: 12151 Views:2663 Replies:5 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
hi all, just wondering if i put an air locker in my rear diff, can i use the lsd in my front diff, its a 99 gu patrol.or is it easier just to shim the front diff and inter change the air locker and lsd if i sell the car. cheers rob
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jiarna (SA) - Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 11:44

Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 11:44
Even if it fits, don't. The LSD in the front will make steering interesting to say the least, like driving a shopping trolley (understeers like a disc plough).
A good compromise is to put the Air Locker in the front diff and leave the LSD in the back. That way you can get extra traction when you need it, and leave the front diff open so you can steer it the rest of the time. When the LSD packs up, put a Air Locker in there as well if you like.
Those who say something cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 54795

Follow Up By: Roachie - Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 20:18

Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 20:18
This is exactly the thinking that led to my decision (GU 2000 , 4.2 T/D) to put an Air Locker in the front a couple of years ago. The Patrol's LSD is one of the best in the business and works really well......if it ever throws the towell in, I'll whack another Air Locker in there too.
I reckon I've got the ideal set-up at present (barring the 2nd locker of course).
Cheers,
Roachie
FollowupID: 316540

Reply By: Rob from Cairns Offroad Training & Tours - Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 11:51

Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 11:51
I have a friend who did that modification to his 75 series tojo as well as a 12HT motor and it works extremely well. Particularly at speed on formed dirt roads You can really feel the front wheels pulling you round the corners. Don't know if the front and rear diffs are interchangable on the Patrols but I do know the Patrol LSD is far superior to the Tojo and may even be too much for a front application. Maybe better and cheaper to leave the very good LSD in the back and just put some form of locker in the front. Cheers Rob
AnswerID: 54796

Follow Up By: Member - Jiarna (SA) - Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 11:59

Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 11:59
Yeah in my 80 series, LSD stands for "lots of slip".
Those who say something cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 316490

Follow Up By: GO_OFFROAD - Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 15:32

Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 15:32
If you live in tight mountain country or 4wd in it, an lsd in the front will create massive understeer, especially on over run, when in 4wd, will do the same on any off camber slippery surface as well. [like rutted hill no ruts, grassy paddock etc]

If your using the car as a rally vehicle though, an lsd in the front could be an advantage, inthe times its rallied.
FollowupID: 316505

Reply By: flashnick - Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 18:47

Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 18:47
Put the locker in the front and top the rear LSD up with Penrites Limslip140 - why waste a Patrols LSD - they are FANTASTIC to say the least. Most shops that say to put a locker in the rear - dont own a Patrol. - really

Nick

AnswerID: 54843

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 19:22

Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 19:22
Rob peter had the GQ patrol and as he said the rear end didnt need any help and he put a detroit in the front.
I used to take his truck on trips and never new as he said it was his secret weapon and never told a sole.
I didnt feel any difference driving it as in steering.
I am getting a detriot put in the rear of my truck give me a call and Ill give you the suppler the price installed was very pleasing a lot better than a major supplier about 350 cheaper he is the importer.

All the best
Eric
Not many sleeps now.
AnswerID: 54852

Reply By: Nino & Kerry (VIC) - Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 22:07

Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 22:07
Ramp,
Funny you should ask this question. I have a 98 2.8 GU and fitted an air locker to the rear about 6 months ago. Now as I then had a spare LSD And front and rear Diffs are both H233B units I wanted to put the LSD in the front (as its part time 4WD any way I couldn't see it would make much difference an the black top). I rang my dealer and confirmed via VIN numbers that the diffs were H233Bs and he said that it couldn't be done as the splines are different.
I'm now saving for a front air locker.
Post it up if you find that this is wrong or if the LSD can be modified as i would really like to know.Its got to be a cheaper way to more traction.
AnswerID: 54890

Sponsored Links