Nissan or Jackaroo diesels

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 11:08
ThreadID: 12153 Views:1554 Replies:4 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
I have been looking to buy a diesel 4x4, but I am purchasing at the lower end of the market. I am looking at Jackaroos and Nissans. My question is about how many ks can be expected from an average diesel. I am only looking for a guide, I know there is no exact answer. There are some quality cars about, but with 240,000ks. Also I have been told that turbo diesels do not last as long as naturally aspired diesels. Is this true?

Thanks
Paul
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jiarna (SA) - Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 11:34

Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 11:34
You need to check the service history, as it can make a huge difference to longevity of a diesel. My previous 4WD was a Nissan MQ with SD33 engine - clocked up 1.2 million km before it died. Had regular servicing and that's it. So high km is not as bad as poor service history IMHO.
My mecahnic says that with proper care, a diesel will get 4-500,000 km before rebuild. TD can last just as long, but servicing even more important, due to increased stresses in the engine. Non-turbo engines with add-on turbo are hard to assess. Depends on the design of the engine to cope with the increased stresses.
In general a diesel with 240K on the clock will still have a few good years left in it. The Nissan diesel will outlast the one in the Jackaroo, but it drinks more. Have fun looking.
Just my opinions.
Those who say something cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 54793

Follow Up By: GO_OFFROAD - Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 15:28

Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 15:28
Depending on the engine of course, a nissan series 1 2 or 3 3.0 td doesnt have a good rep, [yes series 3 engines still having trouble] where as the izuzu jackeroo engine would probably oulast the rest of the vehicle.

IMHO better of spending the extra and getting a 4.2 patrol than the 3.0.
FollowupID: 316503

Reply By: mik*2 - Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 15:46

Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 15:46
don't forget, it's not just the motor thats done the K's, its rest of the mechanical components as well, diffs, gearbox etc...choose carefully

cheers
mike
AnswerID: 54814

Reply By: The Publican - Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 17:44

Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 17:44
Why not include Pajero and Discovery. Pajero probably has the best diesel engine for longevity and reliability of the lot, and there are some good Discos going around at pretty good prices. There was one model Disco that blew head gaskets, but other than that they are not a bad vehicle.
AnswerID: 54829

Reply By: Paul1 - Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 20:46

Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 20:46
Thanks guys. As usual, all good information. That's what I like about this forum. I have a preference for Jacks as I have one now and I am very pleased with it. It is just getting a little old, but still going strong - at the moment. My second preference is Nissan only because of friends and their experiences with them. Pajeros are my third preference, but there are not many diesels for sale. I don't want to go into the Toyota argument, as what car you like is personal preference. I'll keep looking and reading. Thanks for the comments.

Paul
AnswerID: 54871

Follow Up By: Old Jack - Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 22:08

Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 22:08
Paul
don't let them tell you that the Nissan diesel will out last the Isuzu in the jackaroo, they make more diesel motors than nissan and toyota put together and are the second largest manufacture of diesels in the world today, treated correctly you can expect just as long a life out of the jackaroo, where i work one of the a guys has a petrol 3.2 V6 with over 400,000 klm on the original motor, gear box and diffs and it's been well used as a work vehical and has seen it's fare share of mud, floods and abuse at the hands of several people who have worked for us. I was so impressed with the turbo diesel we had that I bought it for myself when it came up for sale.

happy motoring
jack
FollowupID: 316564

Follow Up By: pathfinder - Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 13:56

Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 13:56
Jack - a larger capacity motor will generally outlast a smaller capacity one...
FollowupID: 316646

Sponsored Links