PAJERO MODIFICATIONS

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 17:03
ThreadID: 12161 Views:13646 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
I own an NP Pajero Di-D and have the opportunity to tour through the Simpson Desert with four other vehicles. I am seeking advice as to possible modifications that would be required to make this crossing as trouble free as possible.

I am a novice four wheel driver and would appreciate any assistance

I am considering a 2" suspension lift as the Pajero suffers from limited ground clearance. I would be happy to hear from anyone who has had this modification done with respect to how the thing handles after the lift.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: The Publican - Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 17:34

Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 17:34
mate the Simpson Desert is a doddle. Do not wreck a great vehicle by doing something that is not necessary for an afternoon drive.
AnswerID: 54826

Reply By: Willem - Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 19:21

Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 19:21
Some years ago the Simpson Desert(French Line to be exact) was conquered by a convoy of Mini Mokes without mods. You don't need modifications to your vehicle. Just take it easy, lower you tyre pressures accordingly and enjoy the desert.
AnswerID: 54851

Reply By: john - Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 19:53

Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 19:53
Go to Pajero 4x4 club site.
AnswerID: 54858

Reply By: Froilan - Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 22:09

Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 22:09
Hello pajman

have the NM Paj and installed tough dogs stage 2 suspension kit which gave me around 60mm lift. still handles pretty well, of course not like original. i enjoy regular trail work and the lift definitely helps. not troubled as well when the paj is fully loaded.

just remember that it s a truck you are driving. fits me fine.

froilan.
AnswerID: 54891

Reply By: Froilan - Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 22:09

Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 22:09
Hello pajman

have the NM Paj and installed tough dogs stage 2 suspension kit which gave me around 60mm lift. still handles pretty well, of course not like original. i enjoy regular trail work and the lift definitely helps. not troubled as well when the paj is fully loaded.

just remember that it s a truck you are driving. fits me fine.

froilan.
AnswerID: 54892

Reply By: Lyds - Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 22:37

Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 22:37
I did the high country in a packed Paj without a lift. I am sure every conservation mound has a reminder mark on it. There were times when packing I couldn't get my feet in to stand on the wheels.

If you are going to carry any sort of load, get a lift.

and if you haven't done so, get some 4wd/offroad driver training.
AnswerID: 54898

Reply By: Rosscoe - Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 10:23

Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 10:23
I have an NP DiD Exceed. A truly great car and even better than the NM 3.5 L petrol it replaced.
My suggestions for general 4WD work (not rock hopping):-
Suspension upgrade. I put a battle scar on the car over Easter. Damaged the pasenger's side sidestep. 40 mm higher would have been good enough to handled what was a pretty rough track. I am considering OME.
Not for the Simpson necessarily, but for some of the other areas, I'd think about better (read that as different) tyres than the normal factory fitted highway tyres. I had BF Goodrich ATs on the NM. Noisy but quite good in most conditions. Coopers STs have also been highly rated.
If you will be carrying a fridge, I'd look at a dual battery system. Piranah make an excellent tray that uses the existing mounting points. ARB also make a tray. Many smart systems/solenoid setups to choose from.
If your budget won't run to a second battery I strongly suggest you run heavy cable to the cargo area and replace the OEM accessory outlet with a Hella or simmilar type.
There are heaps of ideas but it depens on your budget and whether you are able to differentiate between wants and needs.
Check out the forum on www.pajeroclub.com.au
Have a good trip and enjoy yourself
AnswerID: 54932

Follow Up By: Rosscoe - Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 13:16

Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 13:16
Maybe for the Simpson a good tyre pressue gauge and a 12V dc compressor. It's essential you have the correct pressure for the conditions.
FollowupID: 316637

Follow Up By: Dean - Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 13:37

Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 13:37
Roscoe, an impossible question I think. How bad was the noise on the NM with bfg's.

I have been in a cruiser, pathfinder, hilux, jackeroo all with bfg's and noise didnt seem to be a problem.

However over on the Pajero site and others, many have thought the bfg's are fairly noisy on the 3.5 NM's.

The people with diesels dont seem to have a noise issue.

Any thoughts

Dean
FollowupID: 316641

Reply By: Rosscoe - Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 14:10

Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 14:10
Dean,

It's a matter of personal opinion but I found them quite noticable. Maybe the monoque construction..not sure. The NP diesel, despite what people say, and I love my paj, is a noisy beast at low speed. At cruising speed you don't notice it at all. So I suppose with the DiD the BFGs aren't so intrusive.
I never got round to it but I had decided to get two sets of wheels and tyres. I only go on a big trip every two years, so I figured I'd run highway tyres most of the time.

While on tyres, and this will start a debate, I still reckon the factory recommended level of 29 psi (200 kPa) is the best the the OEM tyres.

I'm in the process of deciding what tyres next. I'm going to the Cape in August. On the short list: BFG's ATs because apart from the noise they were brilliant on the NM. Also on the list are Coopers ATs and STs. The tread pattern of the BFGs seems, to the eye, to be between the other two as far an agressive pattern.
AnswerID: 54964

Sponsored Links