Hand held uhf's and driving

Submitted: Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 20:12
ThreadID: 12166 Views:2083 Replies:8 FollowUps:8
This Thread has been Archived
Does anyone know in QLD if driving with a hand held { cordless } uhf radio is illegal? What about a normal unit? Same thing is it not.
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Dave from Fraser Coast 4WD Club - Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 20:31

Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 20:31
It is perfectly legal to use a UHF radio whilst driving in QLD!
AnswerID: 54861

Reply By: Rosco - Bris. - Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 20:31

Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 20:31
Not sure, but I expect it would be. Seems the boys in blue may have 2 sets of rules here ...?
AnswerID: 54862

Reply By: The Horse - Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 20:36

Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 20:36
driving while you eat a hamburger is far more dangerous - i know because i do it all the time. smoking while driving has to be more dangerous still, and should definately be banned.
AnswerID: 54865

Reply By: Nomad - Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 21:09

Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 21:09
Yeh, fags are dangerous heh??

But then tuning your radio is dangerous, talking to your backseat passenger is dangerous (especially if you turn your head to look at them) same applies to your front seat passenger or Mum with the kids.

What about the suicidal jockey who just lost his job, girlfriend, wife, kids, money & etc etc.

This is the trouble with our laws. They pick out something easy to monitor and make money out of. The do not approach the real problem, in this case, of driver inattention. But what can we honestly expect.

Cheers

Nomad
AnswerID: 54877

Follow Up By: Nino & Kerry (VIC) - Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 21:21

Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 21:21
You know what Nomad,
i,d never thourght of it in those teams before, but you've just about sumed it up.
Cheers
Nino
FollowupID: 316555

Follow Up By: greydemon - Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 17:58

Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 17:58
Hey Nino and Kerry,

I hate to be picky but your little 'sign off' caught my eye. I could read it, but I am not sure if I really should thank a teacher as it was full of errors! (IF, capital T after a comma - twice, "your" instead of "you're".)

Actually I lied, I don't hate to be picky at all! 8-)

The pedantic Greydemon.
FollowupID: 316694

Follow Up By: Nino & Kerry (VIC) - Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 19:15

Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 19:15
Hey greydemon,

Thanks for picking me up on that. When you're wrong, your're wrong. I have made the changes and stand corrected. Maybe you are a teacher!
My wife has forbidden me to post anything without getting her to check it first.
However I would say being "pedantic" is fine as long as you're sure that you make no mistakes yourself ;-)

Thanks
Nino.
FollowupID: 316705

Follow Up By: The Horse - Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 22:00

Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 22:00
Yeah fags are dangerous.
Its my taxes that are going to pay for you smokers to be propped up in a hospital bed with tubes feeding oxygen into your lungs.
FollowupID: 316743

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Victoria) - Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004 at 19:56

Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004 at 19:56
"your" instead of "you're"

Very common on this forum, probably everywhere.
Bloodly annoying for me at least
FollowupID: 316916

Reply By: Bilbo - Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 22:22

Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 22:22
The most dangerous is these new fangled radio/CD players with tiny push buttons that select any of three or four functions depending on how many times ya press 'em with buttons so small that only a child with a knitting needle can press 'em accurately.

My eyes aren't what they used to be - ( what were they before? Yer feet??) - and I'm stuck with listening to one radio channel if I don't change it before I start driving!

Whoever said "Life begins at 40" was a liar :)

Bilbo
AnswerID: 54895

Follow Up By: Member - Jiarna (SA) - Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 23:21

Sunday, Apr 18, 2004 at 23:21
You could try fishing around under the back seat for the remote control, while you're driving! LOL
Those who say something cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

FollowupID: 316582

Reply By: D-Jack - Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004 at 15:42

Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004 at 15:42
Just cruising through some subjects, and noticed your question. The answer is that in Dec 1999 the Australian Road Rules were introduced to consolidate and make a uniform list of rules which apply right around Australia. One of those rules is the banning of using hand held mobile phones while driving or stationary at traffic lights. (wasn't an offence in SA or some other states until then). Now it is across Australia, and the section also includes use of radios (anything that is hand held - including portable or car based) If you have to use a hand to operate it, you can't use it and have to pull over and get a legal park before doing so.

To the reponse about Police having two sets of rules, don't be stupid. Emergency vehicles are exempted under the Road Rules, for more than obvious reasons.

What it means to you though, is if you are driving on a dirt road in the middle of nowhere with a group of friends chatting on the UHF, and there are no coppers around, then who really cares. However, if you have a head-on and kill the occupants of another car and when they recover you from the 4by you have a radio mike stuck in you mouth then it won't help your cause much.

Hope this helps

P.S. Statistics have proven that you are 70% more likely to have an accident if you are using a hand held device such as mobile phone or radio.
AnswerID: 55156

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Victoria) - Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004 at 20:12

Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004 at 20:12
Eh! the section in the national road rules Rule 300 that bans the use of mobile phones excludes two way radios from the section.

FollowupID: 316919

Follow Up By: Mad Dog (Victoria) - Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004 at 20:15

Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004 at 20:15
Ok, managed to find it,

300 Use of hand-held mobile phones
(1) The driver of a vehicle (except an emergency vehicle or police
vehicle) must not use a hand-held mobile phone while the
vehicle is moving, or is stationary but not parked, unless the
driver is exempt from this rule under another law of this
jurisdiction.
Offence provision.
Note Emergency vehicle, park and police vehicle are defined in the
dictionary.
(2) In this rule:
mobile phone does not include a CB radio or any other
two-way radio.
FollowupID: 316921

Reply By: D-Jack - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 19:26

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 19:26
Ok People, I have to eat humble pie and apologise for the wrong info - I WAS WRONG. There, I said it. I have to say though that I am shocked because I did research the topic a few years back and must have misread the bit that says EXCLUDES as INCLUDES (I seriously had to read it numerous time to convince myself). My point though in relation to in the event of an accident due to using the radio still stands.

Sorry folk
AnswerID: 55372

Reply By: Member - Nigel (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 01:11

Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 01:11
I was discussing a similar topic with a mate of mine who's full time job is driving his missus and dog around australia in a converted coach.

We were trying to figure out why talking on a phone is far more distracting than talking on a UHF. Best we could come up with was coz on a phone there is the expectation of flowing conversation and the knowledge that time is money on mobile phones. Whereas on a UHF if you don't answer immediately then the other party will just wait till you do.
AnswerID: 55434

Sponsored Links