Road Conditions between Burketown and Birdsville

Submitted: Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 06:57
ThreadID: 12176 Views:1781 Replies:2 FollowUps:4
This Thread has been Archived
Parents are currently on a journey North via Charters Towers and Normanton before turning South along the inland route.

Can anyone provide up to date info on road conditions, particularly between Mnt Isa and Birdsville? They we not usre how things were following the floods.

They are also hoping to make it into Diamanatina NP.

I would appreciate any info that can be provided.

Bundy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 11:28

Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 11:28
Diamantina NP is open and has lots of fish. Best way is to go in via Winton, Old cork and come out south - either to Boulia or Bedourie. Road from Mt Isa to Boulia is all tar, Boulia to Bedourie is 200 klms (about 120 of tar) and good dirt and Bedourie to Birdsville is 200 klms (about 80 tar) and good dirt. Tell the parents to take prawns for bait (for yellowbelly) or meat (for black bream) and I'd like 2 large yellowbelly for providing this information, thank you.
AnswerID: 54943

Follow Up By: GOB & denny vic member - Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 16:49

Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 16:49
goodday ruth how much will you charge me for drooling all over my own keyboard each time you put up 1 of your recipes for the yabbies
ps i have run out of tissues lol

steve
FollowupID: 316673

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 18:43

Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 18:43
Hello you two - last night's recipe went like this. First, catch about 30 yabbies (that was easy), put them in the fridge (with a plate on top so that the couple of big ones don't run around the bottom of the fridge and scare you), in a soup pot put tops off the celery, cut onion, two carrots, chunk parsley, dollop of garlic, lemon rind - bring this to the boil and when boiling nicely put in the yabbies, trying not to let the pot come off the boil. as soon as the yabbies are pink and tails springy take them out and cool. Then peel and eat. They were delicious - didn't even have sauce last night. Have sore thumbs from peeling though. Enjoy.
FollowupID: 316697

Follow Up By: Bundy - Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004 at 22:21

Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004 at 22:21
Ruth

Thanks for the info.

I posted a response but then realised you wouldn't get it unless it was a follow-up.

Cheers

Bundy
FollowupID: 316955

Reply By: Bundy - Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004 at 22:20

Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004 at 22:20
Ruth

Thanks for the info. I have passed it on and folks were happy to hear that the roads were in good nick. Where would you like the fish delivered (should they be successful!)? They are currently across in Townsville after taking a small detour, before heading back on track.

Thanks also for the recipe...I'll try it next time I have a few spare yabbies. Visited Monte Collina Bore on the Strez Track two years ago. seemed like there was a supply of yabbies there by the remains of blue claws but didn't have a pot! Maybe next time.

Bundy
AnswerID: 55220

Follow Up By: Member - Ruth D (QLD) - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 10:58

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 10:58
Hi Bundy, hope they enjoy.
FollowupID: 317057

Sponsored Links