the "North winch" front & rear

Submitted: Tuesday, May 28, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1218 Views:2054 Replies:2 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
This simple, highly efficient winch to construct may be of some interest to some viewers;
look at http://home.dyson.brisnet.org.au/~aufempen/North_Winch/NorthWinch1.jpg and
also http://home.dyson.brisnet.org.au/~aufempen/North_Winch/NorthWinch2.jpg
and http://home.dyson.brisnet.org.au/~aufempen/North_Winch/NorthWinch3.jpg
. Cheers Guy
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: eric - Monday, Jun 03, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Jun 03, 2002 at 00:00
Had a problem getting onto this address. Is it correct or is operator error. Anyway I am interested in this type of winch if you can email me with details. Cheers.
AnswerID: 3987

Follow Up By: Guy - Tuesday, Jun 04, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jun 04, 2002 at 00:00
Eric - - My email address is aufempen@yahoo.com - - - I can NOT email you with any details at the moment because I am going 4WDriving to Center of Australia for 5 weeks. Remember the Internal Diameter (ID) of the pipe is for a Nissan GU or GQ for the front rims specially and it must be greater than 105 mm internally. The ID of my pipe is 110mm and tappered slightly to fit the GU or GQ. The reason nis to avoid touching the hub mechanism which is ALL the way 105 mm Diameter. This type of design is very strong and will fit MOST RIMS with 6 holes. To see my photos, copy my URL and paste it in the address and press return. When I come back I'll answer most questions if I can. This system has been tested at 800kg vertical pull on each wheel and the welding/design stands well without changing shape or cracks. Which means I can pull 800kg +800kg= 1600kg. Which means I can pull a GU on GQ (2600kg) on a 30 degrees slipeery slope. Remember my system uses BOTH Rims/bearings wheels and I personally will NOT winch on ONE RIM/bearing. The SPREADER BAR is ESSENTIAL in my system.
Guy
FollowupID: 1688

Reply By: eric - Tuesday, Jun 04, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jun 04, 2002 at 00:00
thanks Guy, I have heard of this set up before, it certainly looks like it's less work than a tirfor.I will email you off liine for further details, happy trails.
AnswerID: 4005

Follow Up By: Guy - Wednesday, Jun 05, 2002 at 00:00

Wednesday, Jun 05, 2002 at 00:00
Eric - It is better than a Tirfor and better than an electric winch because you can winch from the rear as well. This may not look as "matcho" as an electric winch but it is MORE EFFICIENT than an electric winch. Because when you winch on hills at 20 degrees or more , you electric winch _Affordable_Storage_Drawers.aspx 400 amps across your battery, which is equivalent at putting a screw driver accross your battery terminals for a few minutes. This is why batteries do NOT last with electric winchs when the winch is used for more than 2 seconds. But I agree with you an electric winch looks better than a North winch. But an electric winch is less frlexible in usage that the "North system with spreader bar". Try it and you'll be amazed. Guy
FollowupID: 1696

Sponsored Links