Problems with 4runner rv6 1993 model

Submitted: Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 13:35
ThreadID: 12185 Views:2213 Replies:2 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
A friend of mine has a problem with their auto rv 6 stopping at idle. no sign of slowing and stalling just dead stop. for example at maccas drive through it just stopped when pulling up to place order. starts up again like new but she is worried it will stop one day in the middle of main street and not start up again. Also she just bought it a few days ago and she said it has a shake to it while driving like a diesel would have. it has 130k on the clock and is an automatic gearbox. Looks like it has had a good life. The interior is like new.
any Ideas????????
As am looking for a first 4wd I have found out the back seat in her rv6 is a little tight for leg space. Looks like a rv6 may not be the best choice for family of four.

Looks like the 95 holden jackaroo or a mitsubishi pajero of the same year in a v6 configuration looks like the ideal family 4wd for the first time owner????????

Thanks for any info
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Jeff M (WA) - Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 13:55

Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 13:55
It must be because it's an import... Oh hang on, no it's an ozzie model!
(sorry just had to get that in after my last reply!!) ;-)

The 3.0lV6 had a problem (well it's not a problem, it's lack of maitenance) with the head gaskets leaking at the back of the motor (number 6 cylinder). Mainly due to running of incorrect coolant or just plain tap water in the cooling system. If the head gasket is leaking it could very well be causing these problems, is it getting hot? Using water? Got water in oil or vice versa? If so, it's bad news. If not it could be electrical, computer, battery, alternator etc. The shaking could be wheels out of alignment or balance, worn suspension components. Would have to know more before getting close to findin the problem.
AnswerID: 54961

Reply By: madcow - Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 15:52

Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 15:52
I know of 2 people that have had the head gaskets let go and resulted in Toyota basically rebuilding the engines. Due to age and the number of kays they might not completely come to the party. Sounds like head gasket to me! the earlier V6's also had prbolems with warpage on the exhaust manifolds and not an easy job to fix!

AnswerID: 54977

Sponsored Links