BUCHANAN Highway - What conditions should i expect??

Submitted: Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 16:29
ThreadID: 12191 Views:2954 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi Folks,

Am driving from the Alice up the Sturt to the Kimberley in late May, and was considering 'cutting the corner' and going across the Buchanan Highway.
It seems to save a few 100 kms, but I'd appreciate any recent or general advice as to what kind of road it is in terms of what kind of speed it might be considered reasonable to do.

In particular, I'm worried about the level of corrugations I might expect as it's cattle country, and if it's a 'major tyre damage' road. I'm expecting that on The Gibb River Road but hopefully not too much before then.. :-)

Thanks guys,

Barney
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Willem - Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 20:07

Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 20:07
Barney,
Haven't been along there in a while but it is a good graded road with corrugations of course as you are in prime cattle country and road trains frequent the area. Once you cross Victoria River and come to Victoria River Downs Station(which once was the largest cattle station in the world) and locally know as VRD the drive becomes interesting through Jasper Gorge to the Victoria Highway. I would say 80kmh would do along the road. Not much use in flogging it as you don't see anything then. Visit Gregory NP along the way to the Kimberley. Some good 4x4 tracks in the park.

Cheers
AnswerID: 55015

Reply By: johnsie - Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 20:14

Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 20:14
Ring the Dunmarra road house (SHELL) and ask them for a report .
AnswerID: 55021

Reply By: Diesel 1 - Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 20:54

Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 20:54
G'day Barney,

The road from Dunmarra across to Top Springs is 'good' dirt and from there you can head up via VRD as described by Willem or continue on the Buchanan H'way through to Kalkarindji which is blacktop all the way from Top Springs.

I worked out on Limbunya station a few years back and the track from Kalkarindji through to Halls Creek was a fairly good dirt road early in the Dry after the grader had been through, but pretty ordinary towards the end of the Dry after all the cattle road trains had done their bit. Even at it's worst, it is a good track compared to the Gibb River Rd.

Diesel 1

AnswerID: 55029

Sponsored Links