Parabolic Springs

Submitted: Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 17:10
ThreadID: 12193 Views:8007 Replies:4 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Does anybody have feedback on Parabolic Springs?? Do they really make your Leaf Sprung Troop Carrier ride like its on coils?? Wheel Travel improved beyond belief??

Regards
Dave W
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: William - Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 19:51

Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 19:51
Lighten your wallet, but their claims are unrealistic and false.
Why do you think that other companies are not advertising get a coil spring ride with our leaf springs.
To make coil springs ride like leaf springs is pretty easy, however unsafe.
A company that makes those type of claims are fraudulent or downright dangerous.
AnswerID: 55010

Reply By: Eric Experience. - Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 22:54

Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 22:54
Dave.
The shape of a leaf spring makes no difference, the rate of the spring, that is how thick it is, plus the amount of travel are the main factors, if the parabolic shape gives more travel then yes it helps but a semi eliptic would be exactly the same. The aftermarket people are always looking for a gimic. Eric.
AnswerID: 55062

Reply By: craig - Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004 at 15:45

Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004 at 15:45
G'day Dave,
My troopy rides as if its on coils. In fact it is on coils, on coils and leafs. 2 leaves were removed from each leaf pack and coil springs placed between the axel and chassis.
AnswerID: 55157

Reply By: V8Cruiser- Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 12:26

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 12:26
Dave,

I have fitted parabolic springs to the front of my 60 series. The improvement so far is quite dramatic. I'm not sure if they're as good as coil springs as my rear ones are still standard and therfore hard to completely judge. The good thing about them is that their load carrying capacity is higher than coils.

I have only driven it on the road so far so I can't comment on their offroad performance as yet. The springs absorbed pot-hots, bumps etc without fuss or sound. My old leaf springs used to thud, bounce and hop( my back ones still do ). These things perform incredibly smooth on the road. All harshness has been removed in the front. Cornering has also improved. I seem to get a lot less understeer and a lot less roll even with just the front ones fitted. I got mine from Westralia springs in WA and they get these things manufactured in Malaysia.

They are a lot lighter than the old 5 leaf springs I had and when i jacked the front of the car up to see how far the wheels drop, the travel seems amazing.

I paid about $800 including shocks, bushes, U-Bolts and shackles, which is cheaper than some other quotes I got around the place for standard springs. I'm now waiting to change my rears. Westralia have not yet finalised their design for the the 60 series rear springs. They should be available for your vehicle.
AnswerID: 55294

Sponsored Links