Trip toTassie early 2005

Submitted: Monday, Apr 19, 2004 at 20:42
ThreadID: 12201 Views:1665 Replies:4 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Forumites,
We as in the family (Wife & two kids) are going to do a trip to Tassie to visit my wifes parents, not sure of the dates as yet, new year is looking good. We would like to do a "hell for leather" trip over and do a bit of sightseeing on the way back. Any advice would be greatly recieved, looking to take the camper trailer so we can camp out a bit in Tas, do a bit of discovering. Looking for info regarding the best most economical way of doing the ferry crossing, plus any good sid line trips on the way back to WA. I've been using the Travelmate site which is famntastic I might add for this sort of thing, any personal experiences and pitfalls I might be advised to avoid etc etc. Thanks for any advice given up front.
Keep the shiny side up

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Topcat (WA) - Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004 at 00:45

Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004 at 00:45
Hi Martyn, planning a similar trip in Feb 2005 myself, taking the Spirit of Tasmania ferry across from Melbourne to Devenport, then spending about 6 weeks touring around Tassie. We may bump into one another along the way. The cost on the ferry for your vehicle plus trailer during what they call the 'Shoulder Season' (Jan 31st-May29 2005) will set you back $49.00 one way. Passenger fares run from $115.00 per adult to $319.00 per adult one way depending on what sort of accomadation for the trip over. Child fares range from $88.00 to $319.00 also depending on what sort of accomadation you want. The accomadation ranges from cruise seats to deluxe cabins. Day sailings will be each Saturday & Sunday during Feb 2005 & night sailings daily each week. You must book a date for return which can be changed anytime subject to availablity. You can get all the ferry info at : www.spiritoftasmania.com.au
Cheers.
AnswerID: 55075

Reply By: wbsl - Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004 at 09:01

Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004 at 09:01
Hi Martin

The best tim to come to Tassies is between January to April, January will be very busy in school holidays. Camping after April will be a fairly cool affair.

When you book on the Spirit, do it early and ask for Apex fairs, gives a considerable saving. Only problem is you need to pay for them immediately and they are not refundable, can change the dates for up to 12 months and cover cancellation with insurance.

Regards wayne
AnswerID: 55099

Reply By: GaryW - Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004 at 14:00

Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004 at 14:00
Tassie's a fantastic place to visit. Fitting everything in is the hard bit.

The must sees (IMHO) are The Great Lakes, Arthur River (NW Coast), the east coast, Queenstown, Strahan (Gordon river cruises).

If you go up the NW Coast you will see the Stanley Nut - Stanley is a nice spot to stay over.

The midlands are far less interesting (Thats the main hwy between Launceston & Hobart) So going to and from hobart via Queenstown, the east coast or the lakes would be my tip.

Also the trip between Devonport & Launceston can be done on the main hwy or via Exeter. The Exeter trip is a nice alternative.

I haven't done much off road in Tassie but there is no shortage of opportunities.

Regards

Gaz
AnswerID: 55134

Follow Up By: GaryW - Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004 at 14:36

Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004 at 14:36
Theres a good mud map at http://www.tas.gov.au/tasmaniaonline/about/maplarge.asp
FollowupID: 316834

Reply By: Rick Blaine - Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004 at 20:53

Tuesday, Apr 20, 2004 at 20:53
Two must do's are the ABT railway from Queenstown to Strachn and the Don River railway at Devonport... You could also visit my great grandparents house at Nabowla and see where my early predecessors built ships at Sarah Island......The Franklind River cruise in the NE is also good value with a BBQ lunch and no tourist hype. I use Travelmate a bit but I'm beginning to wonder about it... I dont think they update the info very reguarly especially in " Smart Trip"
AnswerID: 55200

Sponsored Links