Meridian with US Base Map

Submitted: Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 09:11
ThreadID: 12247 Views:1712 Replies:3 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
A mate in the US has given me a Meridian gps when he upgraded. It has the US base map preloaded. What Aussie base map should I be looking to install? I have read a few bad wraps on the DiscoverAust product. 98% of it use is going to be travelling around country towns / rural areas. Also, is it easy to remove the US base map and install the AU map, or do the 2 co-exist on the same unit? Any advise would be a big help.
thanks
B
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Slim - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 10:08

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 10:08
Bajabus,

I have a Meridian Gold with the US basemap. If you want to change to an Australian basemap, Merdian will do it for you but it will cost a fortune. I have Discover Aus which I have installed (partly) on a 128 meg chip and I am very happy with it. Just a couple of weeks ago I was in very isolated country in the Eastern Goldfields of WA and travelling on drill tracks put in with a bulldozer, they were marked on Discover Aus and were very helpful in making informed choices in that situation. Granted, you will lose most detail as you zoom out but I'm not sure that can be avoided. I think there will always be a need for paper maps.

Regards,

Slim
AnswerID: 55270

Reply By: Member - Des - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 11:23

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 11:23
You have 3 options for getting an Australian basemap:
1. Pay Magellan a fortune to do it.
2. Buy Magellan's Mapsend World Basemap ($285 in Australia, about $US99 from USA). This lets you add a basemap for any region (assuming your GPS has sufficient memory).
3. Get someone to give you the Australia basemap (about 8Mb) and upload it yourself. Detailed instructions on how to do this (and a great deal of other info) are contained in the FAQs of the Yahoo Magellan Meridian group. You should join the group, go to the files section, and download the FAQs. People sometimes post messages in that group asking for basemap files; I gather that someone will generally send the file sought.

Note that Magellan claims that Option 3 is a breach of the software licence. They may deny service under warranty if anything goes wrong.

Of course for any of these options, you will need a data cable to upload the software to the GPS.

See Post 3794 for more info. Note that additional maps (but not basemaps) are now available from Hema, and that Magellan now sell Mapsend Australia on a single CD, not just State by State as before.

There is a lot of other information in the archives of this forum.
AnswerID: 55283

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 11:53

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 11:53
Your mate gave it to you?

Or you bought one from USA like everyone else and not sure which basemap to use?
AnswerID: 55289

Follow Up By: Member - Raymond - Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 11:58

Wednesday, Apr 21, 2004 at 11:58
Now Now Truckster, he could be genuine, I am married to a Yank and have been given two GPSs over the years as gifts, the Yanks just don't realise we have roads and tracks down here, so why would we need a map base
Ray
FollowupID: 317059

Sponsored Links