Auxiliary battery for Prado 3.4l Petrol

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 08:21
ThreadID: 12279 Views:2953 Replies:3 FollowUps:0
This Thread has been Archived
Hi,

this is my 1st post. I have a simple request for information.

What is the largest size (in Ah) auxiliary battery people have had fitted to the engine bay of a 3.4l Petrol Prado and how was it configured (ie location of batteries and what relocation of existing equipment was required)?

Thanks

Graeme Shephard
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - The MALS (QLD) - Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 08:47

Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 08:47
We had a rotronics dual battery system fitted in our Prado a couple of years ago. The main battery was shifted back and the second battery was put in the front. It didn't seem to be a problem to get it done and everything fits snugly. As far as I can see,nothing else had to be moved. I have no idea the size of the second battery - just asked for a heavy duty battery to do the job.
When you are a mechanically challenged MAL (middle aged Lady) it's sometimes easier not to get into too many details.
AnswerID: 55459

Reply By: Jason - Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 09:52

Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 09:52
Hi Graeme,
l am currently in the process of installing dual batteries after alot of long hours doing research on the best type of system that suite's my needs.

l have a 98 GXL Prado 3.4L Petrol, l obtained a solenoid from an auto electrician l am leaving the original battery in it's cradle moving the charcoal canister near the air filter and extending all the necessary air lines, the second battery will fit where the original canister was, you can fit quit a big battery in this spot , this is no flash set up and as long as you get all the wiring done by an auto elec this should be trouble free as there are limited electronics involved once you turn the vehicle on the solenoid will kick in and charge your main battery fist then aux and when you turn it off only the aux will be drained, my second battery will not be a deep cycle as we dont go away every weekend l will be purchasing a heavy duty battery instead.

Hope this Helps
Jason
P.S you can also use the second battery to jump start .
AnswerID: 55468

Reply By: Phil G - Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 21:02

Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 21:02
The common configuration is to move the charcoal canister, put the starting battery there in a new cradle, then fit an N70 auxillary in the original spot.

Cheap alternative is just to fit a big N70 starting battery in the original position, and make sure your fridge has a low voltage cutout. Many of the new fridges don't draw much power.

You'll find photos of these installations on the 90series Prado site, and stacks of info in the archives:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/90series/
90 series Prado email group
AnswerID: 55576

Sponsored Links