Having fun with a snorkel!!!!

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 09:01
ThreadID: 12281 Views:2622 Replies:8 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
You guys & gals are great. A little tale about fitting a snorkel. Back in Feb I posted a query about a snorkel for a 1990 Nissan Terrano. Well after much advice and searching I found one suited for ‘Terry” made by airflow. Then the installation, I can remember someone saying about drilling the first hole!!!!!! Well after marking out the holes, drilling the holes and trying to fit the snorkel the fun began. Question, how do you get a screw driver up into the top of the guard with a maximum clearance of 32mm? Answer you can’t. Solution off came the guard.

Having two batteries up front meant that the incoming hose to the canister didn’t fit. Solution, drill another hole in the inner guard lining up the snorkel with the canister. Problem solvered. Day and a half later Terry rolls out of shed with his bright new snorkel. I am glad I had a go, I know some of you would be saying he is mad but I did it.

Now that we are prepared we’re of to Cape York in early July. So I just ask you big boys who are going up as well, look out for us little guys because we can almost, and in some cases further, go where you go. If by chance you see a champagne Nissan Terrano, with a new snorkel, from SA with a Tassie Tiger on the back say Hi. Looking forward to a great time. Final note keep up the great forums, they are so helpful and sometimes down right funny even though some are testing.

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Member - Dragan T (VIC) - Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 09:53

Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 09:53
Good on ya Raindeer!!! I'm on the same path as you for the snorkel. Can you tell me what model or part No. is the snorkel that you have used? Have you done much mods on your Terry? I own a 89 TD27T engine model. I reckin it's got potential for a good 4WD with some mods. Some say it does, some it doesn't. What do you reckon?

Cheers!!!
AnswerID: 55469

Follow Up By: Raindeer - Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 10:09

Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 10:09
Sorry not at home, will let you know what part number. Terry is a basic terrano with the excetion of lager tyres on 7" rims and a dual battery to run the whaco 40l fridge. Two years ago when we bought it we did three months Adelaide-Darwin-Perth-home. Travelled 16.000ks did majority of 4wd in the Kimberleys specialy Bungle Bungles. Fantasic trip except the seals on the injector pump and solonoids on automatic went in Derby Lost a wheel on the caravan between Broome and Sandfire flat. The tryre went up through the caravan, the locals were great and after a bit of running repair with a hammer, pop rivets and tin on our way. This time we will be away three months Adelaide- Darwin(see the daughter)Caine- Cape York- East Coast and Adelaide. By the way Terry is a great 4by. When it says that it has enough will try another Nissan because have had them mosr of my life and they make a fantastic product. Urvan, Skyline, Pintara & Terry.
FollowupID: 317300

Follow Up By: Raindeer - Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 08:13

Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 08:13
Good morning. The snorkel for Terry is as follows. Airflow - S30 - Navara/Terrano. From Gibson RM Pty Ltd, phone (03)39841 0286. The only thing I would add is that you lay the template over the snorkel to check hole locations because the template is way out.

I see you have a book on the engine. Does it only cover the engine or the whole vehicle. I would be interested. Contact me on rhubarb_kay@ yahoo.com. Thanks.
FollowupID: 317478

Reply By: Bonz (Vic) - Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 15:07

Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 15:07
Good on ya Raindeer, my mate had a Terry and it went almost all the places my Falcon went...except the repair shop! and alot opf places it wouldnt go, its great little 4b. And good on ya for having a snorkle go, its scary drilling holes in a "new" car!
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 55511

Reply By: Member - Brian (Gold Coast) - Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 17:02

Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 17:02
Raindeer,
It's a great feeling when you succeed with something! Good on you for having a go!!! And off to Cape York?????? You lucky lucky bugger!!!!! (yeah, I know.... not much luck in it, just the result of hard work to be able to get there!!!)
Have a great time and mak sure you let us know how it goes!!!!!
AnswerID: 55525

Reply By: Member -Bob & Lex (Sydney) - Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 17:29

Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 17:29
Raindeer, Well done & have a great trip. All you have to do now is become a member & join the clan so we can see your rig photo's 7 check out your workmanship.
AnswerID: 55529

Reply By: Glenn D - Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 17:52

Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 17:52
Hi Raindeer,
We are going to the Cape mid July . I also have a champangne coloured car but its a Patrol. Same family though. Put my own snorkle in as well. Wish I had a camera for my wifes face when I had a 35mm hole drill in the mudguard of her new car.Will keep my eyes out though.
AnswerID: 55535

Reply By: Eric from Cape York Connections - Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 21:20

Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 21:20
Sounds like you had fun having a go.
Ill be in the cape from june 23 to mid august If you like go to our web site www.capeyorkconnections.com.au and thats my truck.
If you see me come and say hello.

All the best
Eric
AnswerID: 55582

Reply By: Member - Bear - Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 22:14

Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 22:14
Go get em - enjoy the Cape..
AnswerID: 55597

Reply By: Member - Dragan T (VIC) - Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 13:48

Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 13:48
Hi Raindeer!

Thanks for the info on snorkel. Manual covers only the engine. And after having a closer look I'm a bit disappointed with the fact that they don't go in to much detail on things. Book is mainly on cylinder head and block, and on the fuel pump, about third of the book is for the fuel pump (like I'm gonna ever take it apart!) But it's got handy details as well in it. Better than nothing for sure. There is no manual for the whole car as such. After speaking to the guy where I bought book for the engine, he told me it is available for $700 and it's on Japanese. So if you know Japanese and have a $700 to fork out there's your manual! : )

Anyway, if you need some info on the engine, I'll be happy to look it up!

Cheers!!!
AnswerID: 55645

Sponsored Links