Dalhousie springs

Submitted: Thursday, May 30, 2002 at 00:00
ThreadID: 1230 Views:1511 Replies:2 FollowUps:1
This Thread has been Archived
Gday
i am travelling around the center in june -july
and want to know if anone has travelled from chambers pillar to mt dare and then on to Oodnadatta
i am looking to travel this path and want to know about road conditions

thanks in advance
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: max200tdi - Thursday, May 30, 2002 at 00:00

Thursday, May 30, 2002 at 00:00
G'day Nico,

Just got back from that area a few weeks ago.

Alice Springs to Maryvale is fine. From Maryvale into Chambers Pillar is rough and corrugated. Too many tour operators going every day, too fast. BTW the shop at Maryvale has been upgraded.

We did Chambers pillar to Dalhousie in a day and it was too long. Down to Finke it is corrugated most of the way, no fun at all. You're on the embankment of the old Ghan for part of it, but the novelty soon wears off.

There are tracks alongside the embankment for most of the way, but they are so windy that we found it was faster to stay on the embankment. You'll see tracks here and there as cars get on and off.

After Finke you'll get to use top gear again. From Mt Dare to Dalhousie is fast - it had just been graded when we went through.

The Perdirka track is described onm some maps as rough and unmaintained, but by comparison its a breeze. Just a few sandy creek beds to watch.

Other points to watch - (1) Mt Dare may be open, or it may be closed. There were caretakers in during April. Diesel was $1.49 a litre, ULP from memory was $1.39. Beer was $55 a case.
(2) We bought beer there, coz we were caught out in Alice Springs. Don't think you can buy some supplies the morning you leave, coz apparently theres no alcohol sales in the NT until 2.00 pm.

Regards
Max P
AnswerID: 3913

Follow Up By: Ditzy - Monday, Jun 03, 2002 at 00:00

Monday, Jun 03, 2002 at 00:00
Mt Dare is definitely up and running with a very energetic and enthusiastic young couple who will be there till November or so.
FollowupID: 1686

Reply By: Graham Barwick - Tuesday, Jun 04, 2002 at 00:00

Tuesday, Jun 04, 2002 at 00:00
I am an old pom who did the trip you are proposing two years ago as a retierment prsent to myself. I cant help you with the road conditions as they must change all the time. But I must say its a trip to remember. Take time to have a swim at dalehousy, but wait until night time and have it all to your self. spend some time Purni Bore. And the drive into Chambers Pillar was a bit hairy for an inexperenced old Pom but well wourth while. I bought a Land Cruser in Perth when I arived and sold it when I returnd to UK. I intend To do it again but this time I want to go to Ruall River and the Caning Stock Route. Roll on May 2003. You have a gerat country, if you get to Birdsvile remember me to shorty at the pub.
AnswerID: 3991

Sponsored Links