Good place to stay in Christchurch

Submitted: Thursday, Apr 22, 2004 at 22:39
ThreadID: 12307 Views:1895 Replies:10 FollowUps:2
This Thread has been Archived
OK OK.... so its not Oz - but those NZ'ers are pretty close to us aren't they. Any good places to stay (camp) - but with car only, taking sleeping bags etc so no caravan/mororhome etc so looking for cabin type accom. Mum and dad are off to the isle of the long white cloud - so any "hents" appreciated...
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Truckster (Vic) - Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 00:13

Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 00:13
The airport, so you can catch the same plan out of the place :D
AnswerID: 55610

Reply By: Member - JohnR (Vic) - Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 06:32

Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 06:32
Ally and Jim, the real reason to go to the South Island this time of year is for warm hotels or going to the skiing, or perhaps to bungee jump or rafting the Shotover.

I enjoyed the Shotover raft but the crossing to the North island was worthy of press coverage at the time. I was comforted by the thought the train low down would help the ship and gravity know the right way up, but not by the thought it would take us down faster. You may say with winter approaching the sleet and snow made it easier to go North.

Only slightly better than going to the Red Centre heading into summer. Enjoy the bungee. Brrrrrrrr
AnswerID: 55613

Reply By: Member - Eskimo - Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 07:44

Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 07:44
have done NZ 3 times and we use self contained accomodation or similar and have never been disappointed. Have never made arrangments from here....always waited till we arrived to organise.
Take a fly rod!!!
AnswerID: 55616

Reply By: stevesub - Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 08:16

Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 08:16
We are from New Zealand, and yes the South Is will be cold for the next 6 months but the good news is that there are heaps of camp grounds with cabins and except for the Christmas school holidays, you don't need to book. Prices are cheaper than here as well in general. (Especially if payin in Aussie dollars).

The food and fuel will be more expensive though.

Tell them to rent a 4wd, there is heaps of good places in the South Island for off roading and quite a few tag a long type trips that are well worth while.
AnswerID: 55618

Reply By: uppy - Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 11:35

Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 11:35
I agree with Steve,there are some great 4x4 drive tracks like the Old Man range and the Nevis pass as well as Danseys pass.But dress warm and check to see if they are open Have a good trip and have a DB for me
regards uppy
...the school bus,still gets us there

My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 55633

Reply By: KiwiAngler - Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 16:39

Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 16:39
And another suggestion...drop the reference to the different accent...remember just like here where I am just one in 20million and have had to keep my mouth shut about ....theenk...Robbo...servo....this arvo....thongs....mobiles....rego....pink slip/blue slip/green slip.....when you go there you will be just one in 4million and YOU will be the one with the 'funny accent'......and they still havent forgotten THE underam bowling incident..hehehheheheheeheheheheheh
AnswerID: 55664

Follow Up By: Bonz (Vic) - Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 17:00

Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 17:00
but Kiwiangler....you have to get into the habit of talking so they'll understand you in the outer Australian territories, at least that how Aussies see NZ when a star is born - Russell Crowe, et al
Time is an illusion produced by the passage of history

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 317531

Follow Up By: Member - Eskimo - Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 21:25

Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 21:25
and we aussies say six...you say sex, and we chips and you chups or was that cheps and could I go on hahahaha
FollowupID: 317553

Reply By: KiwiAngler - Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 16:40

Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 16:40
And another suggestion...drop the reference to the different accent...remember just like here where I am just one in 20million and have had to keep my mouth shut about ....theenk...Robbo...servo....this arvo....thongs....mobiles....rego....pink slip/blue slip/green slip.....when you go there you will be just one in 4million and YOU will be the one with the 'funny accent'......and they still havent forgotten THE underam bowling incident..hehehheheheheeheheheheheh

And Methven is very nice but COLD (translation SNOW!!)
AnswerID: 55665

Reply By: Camper - Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 18:23

Friday, Apr 23, 2004 at 18:23
We found the Top 10 Holiday Parks were pretty good when we were there three years ago. We had a motorhome and so only used the facilities but these were always clean and well kept. Weather in May/June was great.
Walk in a Beech forest whatever you do!

Cheers Camper
AnswerID: 55673

Reply By: G.T. - Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 15:02

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 15:02
By your post it seems that your folks are flying into Christchurch. The equivilent motoring organisation to N.R.M.A. R.A.C.Q. or (V) etc is the Automobile Association Canterbury ( A.A.C.) It may be possible to have your folks motoring organisation to aquire a book from A.A.C. with all the caravan parks etc. All parks would have onsite caravans and cabins. Take plenty of blankets because not all of them have bedding included. It would be possible that some may have bedding included or for hire as an extra. Frosts will be starting so it will be cold at night, with good days after a frost. Include the West Coast in the intinery eg Westport, Greymouth and Hokitika and especially the Haast Pass. In fact for a modest fee eg Aust $1000.00 a day plus beer, wine , spirits , and food etc Lol, I would be tempted to offer myself as a Guide, as I was born and bred in Ch.Ch.
Don`t rush the tour , take as much time that can be afforded.
Also Information centres will be able to assist with information on local attractions.
The best beer to be had on the West Coast is Montieth`s.

Regards G.T.
AnswerID: 56206

Reply By: 10 Para (Qld) - Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 22:03

Tuesday, Apr 27, 2004 at 22:03
Look up Brian at the airport he's in charge of the fire fighters there and a great bloke also has a great shorty patrol and knows just about every camp spot in the south, also the canterbury 4 wheel club great bunch of guy's
AnswerID: 56292

Sponsored Links